Eye pain and ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye pain and ON

I am coming out of a bout with ON and have a question about the pain aspect of this new symptom of my MS.

I have read that it is pain with eye movement which I am not aware of experiencing. In fact I didn't even know I was having a problem until I was at the Dr.'s and he tested my vision, examined my eyes and told me it was ON. He asked me about the pain and I didn't really know what to say at the time because I have migraines on that side and that pain cuts through my eye.

But since that visit (in December) I have had sharp pain off and on independent of migraines in that eye. It never stays long, less than a minute and occasional blurriness that also is short-lived. Is this pain ON pain? Or just random eye pain.

Thanks.
    Colleen

I'm not sure as I've never suffered migraines, even regular headaches are rare. The pain from ON is horrible, can't move eyes without feeling it (usually above the eyebrow). Also, it's the only headache I've had that gets worse when I lay down.

Jen
    RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
    "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I've had optic neuritis twice that was diagnosed, and also considerable damage to my nerves that shows that I has having it subclinically, meaning it was happening, only so mildly that I didn't actually notice, over the years.

I've never had a bit of pain from it. There is a significant % of ON attacks that do not come with pain, and I consider myself lucky. I do on occasion get weird stabbing pains in the back of my eye, but haven't been able to correlate it to ON, and neither have my doctors. But holy heck, those stabbing pains hurt.

Any time you have real pain and/or sporadic blurriness, it's best to head back to the ophthalmologist to get their take on what is going on. It could be benign; it could be ON. It could be another eye condition altogether, and the only way to know is to see the expert. Perhaps you could call the office and inquire if what you are experiencing warrants a visit?

Good luck!

Comment

I did go see my Opthamalogist last week. My vision is worse than it was 7 months ago but better than it was in December. He feels it is slowly resolving.

I had an eye test in the fall which showed that I had, what you called subclinical ON. I was totally unaware of this.

I will see my local neurologist in Febuary and I am sure we will be discussing this further.

Colleen

Comment

I'm glad that you are on this and that your vision is a little improved since December. Hopefully your vision continues to improve.

Comment

I've had ON and experienced the awful pain and pain worsening upon movement. While my neuro-opth says the ON is better I do get intermittent stabby pain in the same eye. Not sure if it's just from permanent scarring of that nerve, nerve "memory" of the ON so to speak, or just something else. I chalk it up to weird MS stuff and do a quick self-check for blurriness and red saturation to be sure it's not the ON again.

Hopefully you continue to improve! It can take a while sometimes.

Comment

Working...
            X