itchiness as an MS sympton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itchiness as an MS sympton

I had previously posted some of this but since it still is going on I really needed help. I was wondering if any other people with MS ever experience itching.

Mine started while I was on Tecfidera but now since I'm off (3 weeks off) it still continues. It goes on during the day and night.

I've washed all my sheets and bedtime wear and blankets in mild Woolite. to rule out bug or whatever which I knew it wasn't. Use non-fragrance soap which I always had.

And I'm still waking up at 3:00 or 4:00 itching something fierce. I take Benadryl (at nighttime it makes me to drowsy for the daytime) and sometimes instead of Benadryl I'll take temazepam or xanax to try to help me sleep during the night.

but nothing helps stop this madness during the day. My dr. even prescribed something strong than Benadryl but of course that makes me drowsy and feel so dragging the next day. (I'm draggy enough just with the MS)

Anyone else having that as a sympton of MS?

Hi Emily,

It's called Pruritis, an abnormal sensation which is neurologic. There are medications that can be tried to help stop the sensation of itchiness.

Information about Pruritis:
    http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ing/index.aspx
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Thank you. However, I do have red places on part of where the itching occurs. But maybe some people with what that articles talks of do have places which aren't mentioned in that article. I will look into that further. again thank you.

Comment

I have that happen to me, on occasion, and always after I go to bed and also as I wake up. I asked my doctor to help me out and he tested me for low 'T'. After he prescribed a testosterone gel, the itching has, mostly, resolved.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes!

I have an itch on my back in one particular spot, that is so intense. Yet when my husband tries to locate it, it can not be found. WTH! It is so frustrating to me, because it feels like one spot, but when he goes to scratch it. It does not help.

You have my sympathy!

Comment

I've had random itchiness that has gone on for quite a while now. It usually attacks my armpits, and my investigations have confirmed it's not my deodorant. I never even realized until recently that something like that could be MS related, so I haven't even discussed it with my dr yet. I will say it is super annoying when it hits though.
            Diagnosed 1/4/13
            Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

Yes, this has happened to me. It was bad enough that I would scratch my skin in my sleep and leave marks ( on my scalp too...ick!) it comes and goes, but now that I take gabapentin it is much better/rare occurrence. Sometimes a cold, wet or warm wet towel laid or wrapped on the itchy spot can bring relief.
              RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Comment

I get this too. I always thought it was from my Tysabri, but it could be just my MS. I have to take a ton of Benadryl, as that is what my neurologist recommended, but since I take neurontin too, I might try that next. Thanks for the tip.

I always scratch myself to death too. Hopefully that will soon end.

Take care
                Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

Before I was diagnosed with MS, I would scratch myself until I bled during my sleep. My PCP at the time just said it was because I had allergies (I never agreed with him). Nothing he recommended helped, until I finally discovered cold therapy calmed it down (it was just confusing my messed up nerve signals). Thank goodness Gabapentin has been the solution for me!
                  Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Itching

I have been having a terrible time with itching for a few months. Have been to a derm who told me to use Cetaphil as soon as I get out of shower, gave me a script for Clobetazon and hydroxyzine. I do get some relief but it still comes with a vengeance at night and in early AM. It is awful. I plan to talk to a neuro very soon about maybe trying something like Gabapentin. Does anyone know if you have to take the Gabapentin daily or just as needed when you are itching? Thank you.

Comment

Hi Ginny,

It isn't intended to be an "as needed" medication, but I have taken Gabapentin after I started itching. I can't remember why (I think I was forgetting my scheduled daytime dose) or how long it took, but it would eventually calm down. I think it's better to avoid the intense itching before it starts, if at all possible, especially if it's happening during the night. Gabapentin is titrated up slowly until an effective dose is reached.

Hope you will find it helps!
                      Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

TY Kimba 22. I'll post when I know more.

Comment

My scalp is Itchy Itchy Itchy

I haven't been on this form for quite awhile and I literally got on today realizing that I needed to use this resource, and voila there is a post about itchiness!
                          My head has been itchy for a couple of years... I have long hair so if I itch too much, my hair hides the marks on my scalp from itching. Lately I'm literally breaking skin from itching. It has really only gotten bad over the last couple of months in which my 13 year old tells me "MOM, stop itching!".
                          I've changed shampoos a bunch of times and I have no dandruff.

Sometimes I get other itchy spots on me that seem to never get relieved but they are not nearly as bad as my scalp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

hairdresser

check with your hairdresser to make sure it is not a dry scalp.
                            God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

have you tried Scalpicin? That stuff really helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X