the HUG - again?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the HUG - again?!

So in September i thought I was having a heart attack. tight chest, short breath, rapid pulse. Went to ER, nothing was wrong. Xray, ECG, everything came back normal. Checked in with neuro the next day and he said it was likely the 'Hug'

no steroids, as it wasn't a terrible burden, the squeezing was just more uncomfortable than painful. lasted for about 2 weeks then woke up one day and it was gone. Haven't thought about it since.

Now, sitting at my desk at work... and the squeezing is starting again, in little bursts. Not sure if its worth it to call my neuro again. Thinking I'll wait 24 hours and if its still there, i'll touch base.

I've been dx'd for almost 10 years and haven't had to deal with this before. it is beyond frustrating because I don't know what is triggering this and its not really something i can describe to anyone who hasn't experienced it.

ARRRGGGHHHHH! Thanks for the venting session.

Hi meegs: I have the MS hug occasionally too. It is an odd sensation, but thank goodness that is all it is. It comes from a lesion in your thoracic spine. You probably should mention it to your doc since it is the second time you have had this for an extended period of time, >1 day. You can get IVSM, or you can wait it out...its up to you, but still let your neuro know about the hug.

I hope you feel better soon, the feeling can be miserable at times when it gets really bad.

Take care
    Lisa
    Moderation Team
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Meegs- sorry it's back again! I hate the hug. Did you check to see if you were too hot (it happens to me even before I realize I am a smidge warmer than usual) or fighting an infection (tis the season). Both of those things have caused my hug to come back after being gone for a while.

Either way, here's hoping you get some relief soon

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Called my neuro. I have my annual MRI next week and he said as long as I'm not in too much discomfort, he'd like to stay away from the steroids (they destroy me every time)

So for now, its heating pads and stretching on the couch when I'm not at work.

until this year i've never experienced these symptoms before. Have been pretty lucky in terms of major symptoms, other than migraines, over the last 10 years.

Just not impressed that this is now rearing its ugly head.

Comment

You might want to try ice instead of heat. The heat might make the hug worse. This happens to me. I have an electric blanket throw because I am always so cold, well the blanket makes my MS symptoms worse and even brings up those that I have not had in some time, so I have to throw it off and get cold again to feel better.

Just a thought.

Take care
          Lisa
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

update

ended up getting IVSM for 4 days and it seems to be doing the trick.

Vice grip is releasing in small spurts. But man… that was not a pleasant experience.

Was a sore reminder that although my MS is pretty mild, its still there and ready to make itself heard when it feels like it.

thanks for all the good thoughts, everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X