Symptomatic after air travel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptomatic after air travel?

Has anyone noticed an increase in symptoms after time on an airplane or after travel generally? I have noticed it more than a few times, usually after returning from a trip. I don't tend to notice it GOING to where I'm going, but coming back home, particular.

I'm not sure if it's just the stress of returning home/to the job, or whatever, but it is something I've noticed with some consistency and was interested in hearing thoughts from folks if this (a) happens to you and (b) any tips or tricks you may have?
    Started Tysabri October 2006

Most aircraft are pressurized to 7,000 - 8,000 feet while in flight, and are very low in humidity. So if you are sensitive to high altitude (gives many people headaches) or to dry air, that could affect you.

I have also read that the vibrations on an aircraft in flight can cause muscle fatigue for some passengers.

I don't think there is much to be done about these air travel factors, except perhaps fly on the Boeing 787 "Dreamliner," (pressurized to 6,000 feet, more humidity), but it's only available on certain routes and airlines.

Then there are time zone changes, especially when traveling east. If you are traveling outbound to the west, and then return home to the east, that could certainly affect you on the return home. This is much less of a problem when driving, or traveling by train or ship, since you can adjust to the time zone change more gradually.

It takes about one day per hour of time change to adjust. I only notice a problem if the time difference is 3 hours or more, and I am traveling east by air. I could get up an hour earlier, and go to bed an hour earlier every day, for a few days to a week before the trip, but that is too much trouble for me. Better to either sleep on the plane, or to take Provigil when it is time to "wake up."

Comment

me too

I'm very interested in this topic as well. My worst was last May. I had been feeling like I was getting worse, tremors increasing balance off, fatigue, eye pain. Then I went on a trip, through time zones, flew back home, had to go on another trip, by car and by the time we got back home, I was horrible! It had all come to ahead.

It took about a horrible week or two then I slowly started to feel better. I was almost myself by about Sept.
      to me, I was watching these symptoms, but the travel seemed to really throw me head long into whatever this is.

I am almost hoping we have to travel again soon, then if it does it again, I can go to my new neuro, who actually believed me. Since I was almost back to normal by the time I got in to see him, and the old neuro only did an MRI, the good one didn't have much to go on.

Very interested in seeing if it's just us. But at least, it's not just me!! I don't feel so crazy now. ;-)

Comment

I was worried after reading this before my vacation but all went great no problems at all, flew from TX to FL. Our plan is an 18 hr road trip in March over 2 days 9 hours a day. Hope that works out for us.

Comment

Good news. I haven't noticed anything unusual when I travel via airline internationally for my job. That being said, I was only diagnosed in November. However, I traveled internationally during September and October twice during an active flare (did not know what it was at the time), and didn't notice anything different than normal jet lag.

The next time I travel will be domestically in the late part of January and internationally in the first part of February. I'll be interested in seeing how it goes since I'm feeling good now.

Comment

I have trouble with air travel too. It may have something to do with brainstem lesions that affect the ear. I get severe vertigo on the plane with the pressure changes. No good. So, I sympathize with those who do. I take my Valium for dizziness, but sometimes it doesn't help and leaves me dizzy for days. I try to travel by car as much as possible, but its hard to really travel without airline travel, so sometimes I just sedate myself to bypass the whole vomiting on the plane fiasco, and try to deal with the vertigo later. I think you just have to check with your neurologist or ENT and see what they recommend for you to tolerate the flight and the side effects thereafter.

I wish you all luck, it is not easy.

Take care
            Lisa
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Does anyone have car travel issues? I drive and go where I want but nothing is a long or longish drive. Just making conversation.

Comment

Queen: I don't drive on long trips because I still tend to get dizzy due to the movement of the car, but less so than the plane. I just let my husband or friends drive if they are willing. I will drive for brief breaks. It just isn't my best effort with dizziness abounding. Anybody else?

Take care
                Lisa
                Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                Tysabri

Comment

[QUOTE=22cyclist;1438523]Queen: I don't drive on long trips because I still tend to get dizzy due to the movement of the car, but less so than the plane. I just let my husband or friends drive if they are willing. I will drive for brief breaks. It just isn't my best effort with dizziness abounding. Anybody else?

I love to drive by myself to a store w/ music very loud. Got to love AC/DC or Metallica

Comment

[QUOTE=tspaulding;1438572]
                    Originally posted by 22cyclist View Post
                    Queen: I don't drive on long trips because I still tend to get dizzy due to the movement of the car, but less so than the plane. I just let my husband or friends drive if they are willing. I will drive for brief breaks. It just isn't my best effort with dizziness abounding. Anybody else?

I love to drive by myself to a store w/ music very loud. Got to love AC/DC or Metallica
                    I don't like anything loud, voices are sometimes too loud for me.

Comment

Long drives don't bother me. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't stink on the car stereo either

Comment

Originally posted by Cindybridgeman View Post
                        Long drives don't bother me. Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't stink on the car stereo either
                        I really like Bohemian Rhapsody. I do have Sirius radio in my vehicle we can get some pretty interesting radio.

Comment

Bad after plane travel

I keep a symptom diary and YES, after a plane trip my symptoms get worse.

I tracked this and noticed I ALWAYS felt terrible after returning from my trips to see my sons. It is a long plane ride and I didn't put it together until after my last trip.

Maybe it's the stress of not being able to see them again for months but I actually think it is the travel. The last time I came home I had a pain in my head like an ice pick and it was almost unbearable. That along with my other symptoms being worse made me think it was a flare up but it wasn't.

Comment

Unfortunately I will be putting my air travel to chance again. My father in law passed this week out of state, so we fly out tomorrow.

I have already experienced a bout of destined abdomen that led to diarrhea, was able to eat a mortal today with it not going straight through my system and out. I know this is my body's reaction to stress.

I know I have some difficult days ahead of me I wish I had my pre-MS brain to do it.

Comment

I am so sorry about your father in law. The travel and the circumstances are stressful and we know that stress is NOT our friend. I hope it goes OK. Knowing what to expect may be better than a whammy. Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                              X