Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vertigo questions...

Hi,

Just wondering what to do about vertigo? I am still able to walk and do things, but I seriously, I am a mess and feel dreadful. I have tried Dramamine and bonine. Neither helped, at all. I have to go to work tomorrow night and I am starting to feel so burdened by this whole thing. I've had vertigo before, but it just seems to resolve after a few days. This is going on a solid 8 or 9 days. It's scaring me!

My co-workers don't know I have MS. Kept it secret a long time...I work in healthcare and especially right now, I don't feel job security and am afraid of losing my job over it. Seems with Obamacare the hospital (I work for) is freaking out and cutting hours etc.

I have a neuro apptmnt at the end of this month. I think I will call my primary care physician in morning and see if I can get in for a check up. My ears bother me a lot and maybe this is my problem? They just feel sore and achy. I pray this is the real issue and can be helped!!

Okay, I know this post is rambling. I did try to do a search on vertigo here on this site...it was all just too much for me to figure out! Not too good at navigating this site.

Thanks,
    Missyb
    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. - Yiddish proverb

Oh, dear. I'd recommend not disclosing until you have to. Have you got leave left you could take?

Vertigo sucks. It might an inner ear thing. Had that, currently have BP medication side effect dizziness. Have also had MS general whoosh where are my feet balance stuff.

Those who have not walked in our shoes have no idea how uncomfortable those shoes can be.

You'll be all right.

Comment

OTC meclizine

Some brands of OTC motion sickness meds have meclizine, it doesn't clear up the vertigo but does make it bearable.
      CIS DX 2013

Comment

Sorry to hear. Meclizine can help, but it would knock me out. Your PCP could refer you to an ENT to rule out other causes.

I wouldn't disclose unless you need an accommodation. The NMSS site has great articles on how/when to disclose. If you have any leave you can use, I would take it. FMLA is one reason to disclose but I know some people feel this makes them a target. I was fortunate with my employer, but that appears to be the exception. The employment thread has lots of discussions on experiences.

Good luck. I hope it is not the MS.
        Kathy
        DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Hi missyb,

It's hard to know if your vertigo and ear pain are related. You should see an ENT to rule out possible causes. Hopefully, it'll be an easy fix and doesn't come back!

Treatment of vertigo depends on the cause, and many people with MS experience it. Here's a couple of threads that will help you understand vertigo:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ht=cns+vertigo

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthr...ht=cns+vertigo

Hope the cause is determined soon, and it stops! It's definitely no fun. It's something I've dealt with on and off since my dx. Knock on wood ... for me, this symptom has been quiet for awhile.

Best wishes,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

That is no fun. I suffer from vertigo as well and will second the notion of not disclosing...I have not disclosed at my work but have seen others disclose and the comments behind their backs questioning if they are able to do the job......I find that Klonopin works wonders for my vertigo...I know others who use motion sickness meds but I never have,
            First symptom 2000, dxed 2004

Rebif 04-06, Denial 06-07, Rebif 07--9, Copaxone 09-13, Tecfidera 13-?

Comment

Go see an ENT as soon as you can. I had vertigo every three months a few years ago, and what helped me were exercises that my ENT performed in the office and what he sent me home with. Google Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo and the Brandt Daroff Maneuver. Especially if you have ear pain, this should really help you. Let us know how you make out.

Comment

OMG VERTIGO AND OPTIC NEURITIS I THINK ARE THE WORST. BUT MY VERTIGO IS TRIGGERED ALOT BY MY O.N.

VERTIGO AND FATIGUE IS WHAT REALLY CAUSED ME TO CONTINUE TO SEEK MEDICAL HELP FOR ALL THIS 'STUFF' THAT KEPT COMING AND GOING. AFTER 4 YEARS OF WRONG DIAGNOSIS I WAS FINALLY DIAGNOSED.

KLONAPIN HELPED ME BUT AT FIRST IT KNOCKED ME OUT. ALSO TOOK MECLIZINE, IT ALSO MADE ME VERY SLEEPY AND WITH A REALLY BAD CASE, NOTHING REALLY COULD KEEP ME WORKING. I'VE HEARD SOME PEOPLE TAKE VALUIM, BUT WHEN I HAVE A GOOD CASE OF IT, I CAN NOT FUNCTION AT ALL. I'M PRETTY MUCH BEDRIDDEN AT THAT POINT.

I'M SOO AMAZED THAT PEOPLE ARE ABLE TO HIDE THEIR MS, I FELT LIKE I HAD TO TELL. BUT I HAVE GOVERNMENT JOB AND I THINK THEY ARE EXTREMELY MINDFUL OF THE NONDESCRIMINATION LAWS.

BUT I WORK VERY CLOSELY WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT AND FIRST RESPONDERS AND TOGETHER WE ALL STARTED NOTICING THAT I COULDN'T WALK STRAIGHT, RUNNING INTO THINGS, ETC. RUMORS STARTED SPREADING THAT I WAS DRINKING OR ON DRUGS. I ESPECIALLY COULDN'T LET THE POLICE, DEA & FBI OFFICERS THINK THAT I HAD A DRUG OR ALCOHOL PROBLEM, NOT IN THIS PROFESSION, I WOULD LOOSE ALL THE CREDIBILITY THAT I HAD WORKED SO HARD TO ESTABLISHED. A WOMAN WORKING IN SUCH A MALE DOMINATED FIELD, IT'S NOT EASY. SO I FELT IT WAS BETTER FOR PEOPLE TO KNOW THAT I HAVE A DISEASE RATHER THAN TO THINK I'M AN ALCOHOLIC OR A DRUG ADDICT. BUT AGAIN PEOPLE WERE NOTICING AND THE OTHER WAS MUCH WORSE THAN ADMITTING TO HAVING MS. I THINK I WAS MORE AFRAID OF LOOSING MY JOB IF I DIDN'T TELL BUT AGAIN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT SITUATION.

GOOD LUCK AND I KNOW IT'S SOO HARD TO WORK WHEN YOU FEEL SO BAD. MARCH IS MY LAST MONTH, CAN'T DO IT ANYMORE, I'M SCARED TO DEATH.

Comment

Working...
                X