My Aching Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Aching Back

I have been diagnosed with MS FOR 8 years. Up until now I have not had problems walking. My MS symptoms have been mild burning, numbness and some muscle contractions. Lately my lower back has been aching and I am having some problems walking. Is lower back pain a MS symptom?
    Diagnosed, November 2005, Fingolimod FTY720 Study as of August 20, 2007

It makes sense your lower back is hurting if you are having problems walking. Your back problems are a result of your MS symptoms, not necessarily a symptom of MS. You need to see a physical therapist. Do it sooner rather than later, your pain will only get worse. (I know from experience!)

Good luck!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

i know how you feel

I've only been dx'd for 3 years this November and Idk your age but I just turned 24 last week and feel like I have the back of my 57 yr old mother in law who has severe osteoporosis. But my pain is mostly stationed in my lower back and when I walk its like my back will catch some times but Dr.s have told me I have chronic lower back pain condition and the pain could be from the plaque on my spine or something but I agree with the other post about physical therapy I done it for a while but my therapy place closed down . The electrode things they'll put on your back feel great lol but I also use aspercream and ice packs to numb out my back pain. I hope you find relief soon.

Comment

Yes definitely get PT as soon as possible (preferably with a therapist that has worked with neuro patients) so they can assess your gait, etc. Good luck!

Comment

Your lower back hurts most likely because your legs are tight. Make sure the PT knows your legs are tight so they can stretch them, this often relieves the back pain (I know, it happens to me every week), I have learned to stretch mine myself. They can teach you how to do it. I hope you start to feel better soon, that feeling is miserable!

Take care,
          Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

Originally posted by Joy1955 View Post
            I have been diagnosed with MS FOR 8 years. Up until now I have not had problems walking. My MS symptoms have been mild burning, numbness and some muscle contractions. Lately my lower back has been aching and I am having some problems walking. Is lower back pain a MS symptom?
            Oh boy is this me! I have also been diagnosed for just shy of 8 years and have been one of the "lucky" ones in that my MS is "stable". Last Wednesday I started with such muscle spasms in my lower back that by Friday I couldn't walk. The mornings are the worst as the spasms seem to subside the more I move around. The stiffness is there if I sit in the same position for too long. I'm waiting for an MRI and based on what that says, will be going for PT. Hope you find some relief!

Carol

Comment

Please find out the cause of your lower back pain. I actually thought I was starting to flare once because I was walking so bad. My neuro was talking to my and asked me why I was sitting the way I was and I told him my lower back was killing me.

He ordered an MRI of the lower spine and of course it showed a bulged disc. Treatment was a muscle relaxant, bed rest, healing and then PT for exercises for the lower back.

Good Luck to You.
              Katie
              "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
              "My MS is a Journey for One."
              Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Here's another side... in 2011 i started to feel like my upper body was trying to implode into my hips, especially when sitting. It became bad enough that I saw my GP to go through the process of elimination before seeing my neuro about it (our healthcare system works like that). Convinced it was MS I waited a while before getting it checked.

The X-ray showed a fracture on my tailbone. I took 1 mini fall in my driveway a few months before but landed on my side, nothing even hurt!

I was sooooo happy!

7 months later I fell backwards over the side of the tub, refractured it and got a second fracture on a different part of the tailbone... still waaaaaaaaay better than being MS related. The falls weren't even MS related. Sheer clumsiness and talent!

Jen
                RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have been having low back pain for about 4 yrs. Ive had PT but with no real changes. I was recently diagnosed as having arthritis in my low back which explains the type of pain I was having all along. What I found is that my neuro docs didn't really address my back issues. It was like an attitude of "you have to expect some discomfort/pain with MS". PT doesn't help if the actual problem is not being addressed. I was told about the problem, but no real effort was made to correct the problem. I had to start asking more questions and letting the MD's know what I felt like I needed.

Comment

Physical Therapist

How can you make certain the physical therapist has worked with neuro patients?

Comment

Originally posted by its2much View Post
                      I have made sure in advance that my PT has had experience working with pwMS. My GP has referred me to those who have experience and I have always trusted my GP's referrals. Of course, I live in an area where MS is prevalent.

One thing that has helped me in the long run and beyond (& in addition to) PT is doing yoga! I do a gentle yoga class and a daily practice. It has been soooo beneficial. I recommend it to anyone with MS!!
                      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

most PT's have probably worked with neuro pt's. The problem is that MS pt's vary so much. From having minimal symptoms to barely moving. The ones I had tended to treat me like I could barely walk when I really needed strength training. Muscle building. I had one guy follow me down the hall with a gait belt, when I told him I could run across the parking lot to my car (and JUST to my car). I could spin on one foot, I didn't need a gait belt. I think the more debilitated you are, the more helpful PT can be. Also be knowledgeable about why the MD is ordering PT. That's what they're going to work with you on and report back to the MD. So if you feel you need special attention in a certain area, ask the MD to add that on your script.

Comment

Ask them. You don't want a sports therapist who has little understanding of the challenges of something neurological based like MS.

Comment

problems walking

I didn't know that a person with MS could have issues with walking as a result of MS. I hope all goes well.

Comment

A NEW Lower back pain can also be a symptom of other, more serious medical conditions. If persistent, it is something your neuro and your primary should be aware of.

Comment

Working...
                              X