I miss sleeping in a bed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss sleeping in a bed.

If I go to sleep in a bed or on a couch even if it is for a few hours I wake up not being able to move from the waist down. The amount of time I am stuck like that varies but as I come out of it and my legs begin to move horrible pain sets in. The rest of the day is not a good one! I've been sleeping in a recliner for the last three months. I've tried using extra pillows to prop me or to put under my knees so I'm not laying completely flat but it doesn't make any difference. I have problems with my legs in general and sometimes they have delayed movement but this laying down on a flat surface is a sure way of them not moving. I have a doctor appointment coming up to go over all my MRI and other tests and was sent to physical and occupational therapy in the mean time. They did nothing we haven't done before and really didn't have anything to say about my new problem. I've been through steroids but still I'm sleeping in a chair. Has this happened to any of you?

I can relate to not being able to sleep flat. I do have Ms but my issue was back related.

What I did last year was invest in a adjustable bed and it has solved 80% of my issues of back pain at night time.

Its a pretty expensive investment but it was well worth it I am so thankful to be able to finally sleep for more then an hour at a time without having to either get up or rearrange the pillows under my knees.

There is lots of places on line that offer financing for adjustable beds and with many options for the mattress or size. I chose the king so that I wouldn't feel like I was sleeping in a hospital bed separate from my husband. Also, the king is two separate beds so you can adjust all night long without disturbing your partner.

Good luck and I hope you find some relief sleep is vital to our well being with or without ms.
    Tira

Comment

Going bed shopping

Thank you for your reply from2344. I was wondering about those beds but except for use in the hospital, I've never used one and didn't have this problem then. I'll definitely look into it. I'm glad it got you some relief!

Comment

Good luck, I hope you can find something that can help you sleep
        Tira

Comment

Sleep

I too cannot lay flat in bed, I bought an adjustable bed that raises my head and feet it certainly helped. I was having another problem with sleep my legs would feel so hot that all night I was putting them in and out of bed. I then found a duvet filled with merino wool and because of its breathability it has stopped the legs becoming hot hence I am sleeping better.
          Hope you get your sleep sorted out it can not be very comfortable for you . You must feel tired I know what that is like.
          Good luck with solving the problem.
          Lynda

Comment

I sleep 8 inches inclined by raising my headboard, I simply started out with 2 inch wood blocks, got used to that, proceeded with another 2 inches etc. One has to get used to feeling like sliding down in the beginning, but once after a couple of months I really dislike sleeping in a flat bed. I have less back pain, feet don't get as cold, don't have to get up to pee much. But I still get leg spasms at night which requires walking, otherwise it is great and cost nothing. Worth a try.

Google sleeping inclined ms or similar if you want to know more.

Comment

Sleeping

I get extremely stiff if laying in one position. I am on Medicare and I got a hospital bed and it has helped. I still get stiff though, so I get up several times a night. I have a lot of problems with my right shoulder, so I have to sleep on my back or left shoulder and even that does not prevent a pain free night. Praying you will find a way to sleep comfortably.

Comment

I can't sleep flat on my back in a bed, nor on my sides I slept in a recliner for a couple of years, but then found something that works for me.

Instead of an adjustable bed I bought what is called the Comtour Wedge System from the Relax the Back store. It is so versatile for sleeping, or for when you want to sit on the bed to watch tv. Many variations can be made as to how you position the wedges. Cost was around $200 and has been well worth the money...much more comfortable than a recliner.

Comment

Working...
                X