My first VA (intake) appt 5/4/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first VA (intake) appt 5/4/11

Kind of last minute... any advice as I go in to this appt. Anything I should be asking for up front?

I know I am going to as for provigil. I would like something to help my ambulation but I don't know whic way to go with that.

I currently am on Copaxone, AP4 and and anti seizure medication.

I know the VA is pretty good with their MS patients in general. I will be the first MS patient at the local VA clinic. Its only been open 3 years.

Just take it easy and be yourself. They will initially be interested in getting your baseline data and getting to know you.
    Try to get your photo done for your ID card, the card is super handy when you're doing labs.
    I'd hold off on requesting stuff during my first appt. If your experience is anything like mine was, you'll be spending a lot of time there as they build up your file.
    In time, your Neuro should call you in for a long chat (probably not during your first appt.) where they'll discuss things like which meds you'd like to use. I think they also like to get a handle on what you expect from them (some patients want lots of attention, some don't).

Comment

Update

I guess the best way to describe this appt was "getting your foot in the door". It went well. When I say this clinic is small - I mean small. 1 doctor, 1 nurse practitioner, 1 mental health professional and 1 social worker in addition to the "office staff". When you call them you get rerouted to a larger 'parent' clinic.

I saw the nurse practitioner and she was nice and as helpful as possible. She tried to order my meds through the VA system - the only one that she could get without special request was the Copaxone. We will wait and see what the pharmacy says. Then I did some standard labs.

I did ask to see a VA neurologist since that is the person that could help me the most with prescriptions, MRIs and referrals. I will either get a fee basis referral or drive at least an hour to see a VA neuro. The nearest VA MRI is about 2 hours away, within this system.

Thanks for the advice regarding taking it easy. I was really worried because I knew ahead of time that they didn't have expierence with MS. I went in prepared and just answered questions. She did a brief neuro test on my feet and legs that was a complete failure - no surprise there.

Comment

Just to be ready, I'd also bring something to write on along with your DD214, any med. forms that list your current Rx's, current Dr's contact info, addressed mail (utility bills usually work best) and a photo ID.
        While its overkill, you never know if someone from admin wants to verify some info.
        Also spend some time getting to know the place. Where are the rest rooms? Where is the Neuro unit, Optical, main lab, check-in, etc. Where is the cafeteria? Where is the best place to park?

Comment

Sorry for the overlap.
          You should have two options for travel:

If you drive yourself and the VA set up the appointment, you can claim milage and get re-enbursed at the larger clinics. I've never claimed the travel allowance, but I think its 55 cents a mile round trip.
          You can also check around for shuttle service (usually a county or DAV/Legion van).
          It depends on what you're having done, sometimes the van is a lot more convenient.

Comment

Bob- Unless you know something my VA hospital doesn't, they will not reimburse for mileage until you are service connected, My VA hospital told me to keep track of mileage and Co-pay payments I make and I will be reimbursed for them if and when I am determined to be service connected. If you know of another rule please let me know as I have over 700 miles already.

Scott
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I only live 2 miles from the local VA clinic. I am not worried about mileage even when I have to travel to get an MRI or see a neuro. My priority is health care.

I have not started a claim for service connected, although I have begun gathering my medical records from across the U.S.A. Maybe down the line I will file for service connected disability.

My husband has ben 100% P&T for 15 years, so I know my way around the VA. He went straight from active duty to VA healthcare and the VA has changed (improved) a lot over the years. That was why I asked what to expect.

I want to be proactive but now so much that they consider me a 'troublemaker'. At most there are a dozen females seen at the local VA. In fact aside from my husband, I have never seen anyone under the age of at least 60 there. Small town.

Our van service is ridiculous. My husband has tried to use it in the past. They had to send a special van, because the regular van was not powerchair accesible. The van was nothing more than a cargo van with bad shocks.

Comment

Scott;
                That's news to me.
                I don't claim mileage and usually opt for the van but back when I was first starting out (before I was even rated) I was told that I could get either mileage or the van.
                That was also back in Maine where they can mess up boilling water, so it might be a state-by-state deal?

Kat;
                And yes, there are times the van is a hassle but the VA also dialates my eyes a lot making it my best option.
                Around here, there's a new twist where the drivers might not like it if you have multiple appointments on the same day (Hello? You volunteered to drive the thing and the VA sends me a letter when they want to see me. Otherwise, I have no control over the situation).

Comment

Working...
                X