Exceptional Family Members Program PCS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exceptional Family Members Program PCS?

I know this Forum is for Veterans, and I am not, but hopefully you all understand a bit more about my issues that other MS patients. I am the wife of an Active Duty Airman.

We PCSed to Hawaii about a year before I was diagnosed with MS. When my first "fit" of symptoms hit me, my husband had to be pulled from his deployment due to my extreme syptoms at the time. Its been about six months since my diagnosis. While my extreme symptoms have subsided with the Avonex, I still have dwindling issues (ie.. tingling spine, loss of feeling in my hands, concentration problems, vision spotting, etc). While I understand that most patients have dwindling issues, I can't shake the idea that my geographic location and constant exposure to this hot climate is aggrivating my MS. I've read that many MS patients have increased symptoms in the summer. It is always hot in Hawaii and I cannot catch a break. To make matters worse, the large military medical clinic hear cannot support my medication. I have gone to Tripler multiple times for refills and they do not have the medication. This has left me running from civilian pharmacy to pharmacy hoping to find somebody that can get my Avonex in (and paying out of pocket for it).

My husband still has 2 1/2 years of tour time to serve at this base before we will be up for PCS orders. Does anyone know what the process is to request the military to move us early due to my recent diagnosis? Also, should I be concerned that the constant hot weather could be adversly affecting my medical well-being?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject..

re: EFMP

Originally posted by Carrielou13 View Post
    I know this Forum is for Veterans, and I am not, but hopefully you all understand a bit more about my issues that other MS patients. I am the wife of an Active Duty Airman.

We PCSed to Hawaii about a year before I was diagnosed with MS. When my first "fit" of symptoms hit me, my husband had to be pulled from his deployment due to my extreme syptoms at the time. Its been about six months since my diagnosis. While my extreme symptoms have subsided with the Avonex, I still have dwindling issues (ie.. tingling spine, loss of feeling in my hands, concentration problems, vision spotting, etc). While I understand that most patients have dwindling issues, I can't shake the idea that my geographic location and constant exposure to this hot climate is aggrivating my MS. I've read that many MS patients have increased symptoms in the summer. It is always hot in Hawaii and I cannot catch a break. To make matters worse, the large military medical clinic hear cannot support my medication. I have gone to Tripler multiple times for refills and they do not have the medication. This has left me running from civilian pharmacy to pharmacy hoping to find somebody that can get my Avonex in (and paying out of pocket for it).

My husband still has 2 1/2 years of tour time to serve at this base before we will be up for PCS orders. Does anyone know what the process is to request the military to move us early due to my recent diagnosis? Also, should I be concerned that the constant hot weather could be adversly affecting my medical well-being?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject..
    Hi, I am the active duty service member, but I also have a exceptional member (other than myself, I was just dx. with MS on 22 MAR). We went through the EFMP process last year for my son.

The application is online at the vMPF website. Your husband has to click on <case management system> and then there should be a list on the left hand side for options for applications related to EFMP, humanitarian, etc. We applied for EFMP end of April beginning of May and PCS'd in July.

I suspect they will suggest that since there is "air conditioning" you could stay indoors. Also, you should consider wearing a cooling vest and other cooling clothing items. I am ordering a "steele vest" (i think thats what its called). They have a website. And you may qualify for free items based on family income.

I would contact express scripts regarding having your medication shipped to you monthly. Its certainly worth a try to see if an EFMP exception can be made all they can do is say no. It will permanently "Q" code your spouse and could limit future assignments as you will need access to certain physicians.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Thanks

Thanks MLissa.. We did talk to my PCM about it and he gave us the same suggestions you did. The military would likely move my children and I off the island, but would keep my husband here to finish his tour. If that would be the case, I will just need to learn to get through it.

Comment

Hi sweetie,

My dh and I retired from Hawaii back to the mainland. I am a vet who happens to have MS. He is a retired vet.

We lived in HI for 7 years (two separate tours).

I will say that though the climate there is tollerable for some reason I had a lot of MS issues (before I was formally diagnosed) while there.

Your PCM can help initiate EFMP stuff that might help you get moved though you might have to do an "early return of dependent" instead. Meaning that he stays and you go.

Cooling vest is a great idea and if your housing does not have AIR (most do not) then I would get your doc to write a letter stating you need it and get you moved to housing with AC.

I think it would be hard to leave him to finish the tour unless you have great family support.

All the best!

Comment

Working...
        X