My DD214 arrived today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My DD214 arrived today

I need to get health care through the VA. Mainly I need prescriptions filled throught them. I am in a big transistion phase. I lost my job (something about not being able to fulfill my job duties) last year. That meant I lost my insurance.

This has been a huge transition for me. I had a really really good job and really good insurance. So I have been slow to face up and deal with reality.

I definitively diagnoised with MS in November 2010 by a neuro. I was diagnoised by 2 different G.P.s in July 2009.

I know I need my dd214 to get benefits. I filled out an application for benefits online, they requested a copy so I have already made copies and put those in the mail to the VA in Louisville. Now what? Can I just go to the VA and ask for healthcare or at least prescription coverage?

I will run out of Copaxone at the end of this week. I applied for financial assistance but havent received it yet. I have paid for other prescriptions out of my pocket and I will pay the neurologist out of pocket next week.

My neurologist is on the list for fee basis. Will I be able to continue receive care from him?

Any advice will be appreciated.

the VA will pay for all your MS needs is my understanding , regardless of its milatary releated

Comment

Kat, at the top of this (VA) forum there are some "sticky" threads you really should read. There are some misconceptions we all seem to have about the VA, health services, and pensions.
      Besides what's in the sticky threads, here's some basics that may help:

- Your DD214 is also on file with the state you listed as your home address. You can get copies of your DD214 from any VA service officer from your "home state", just bring proof of identity.

- You really need to sit down with a VA service officer and get the ball rolling. Just be yourself and explain what's going on.
      Bring copies of the documents you think you'll need. Keep it simple, proof of identity (drivers licence, addressed mail, etc.), proof of need (financial docs, bank records, mortgage/rent, med bills, etc), proof of medical issues (prescrition list, doctor's letters and bills, etc.).

- Ask about van/shuttle service if driving to the VA hospital would be a hassle. If the VA sends you an appointment, you can either request a van or else they'll pay you travel expenses if you drive yourself. I'd recommend asking for a van at first, parking at the VA hospital can be an experience and a half.

- Stress that your concern is medical first. Sometimes, service officers will assume that we're there for a pension more than to get help.

Comment

This link might also be handy:

http://www.nasdva.net/

Comment

Update

I contacted the VA and they are making me an appointment - to my surprise they have been very nice and helpful. My husband always has a hard time with them and he is 100 permanant and total disability.
          I saw my neurologist this past week and paid him out of my pocket. He wrote several notes including prescriptions that he would like the VA to fill for me. I will cross my fingers and wait.
          He also ordered an MRI. My MS has progressed somewhat quickly and I have a lot of mobility issues. He is sure that they will find multiple lesions in my spine. He wanted the MRI the next day but I rescheduled for this next week. I need time to figure out how to pay for it.
          I will be glad to get in to the VA healthcare system just for the cost savings and access to consistent healthcare.

Comment

Depending on your coverage and need, you may really want the VA to do your MRIs and diagnostics.
            A lot of this can also depend on which state you live in, but all of my testing (including MRIs) are free.
            I understand your Dr. wants this done ASAP, but I would check with the VA first.

Comment

I SECOND what bob posted......

Go To the VA FIRST!

I am not service connected for the MS YET. I get my MRIs and ALL tests FREE! I pay a $9/month copay for my Copaxone. If and when I get the service connection for the MS, then there wil be NO COST! Heck I would even get milage for driving to my VAMC. (40 miles away)

I DO NOT think the VA will fill scripts from outside doctors, I THINK you will at least ahve to see a VA doc to get any scripts filled thru the VA.

When I started I simply took my DD214 to a local VA to get enroled. Once you are in the VA network things get easier.

I hope this helps.

Gomer Dr. of, Been There, Done That

Comment

Thanks for the support and suggestions.

When I was speaking to the VA employee he asked if I had ever been seen at the VA. That reminded me that I had been to the VA in Daytona Beach, FL and Milwaukee, WI. This was 10 years ago.

He could not find that information in the computer, but I was seen for muscle control issues and extreme fatigue. If he had not asked, I would have completely forgot that. Hopefully, these records will be retrieved.

Comment

The VA has a real good MS doctor. He is in Saint Louis, his name is Dr. Thomas. It is also the closest MS clinic to you that the VA has. I am in Southern Illinois, He is very good, and really knows his stuff. He is recognized as one of the the top MS Dr's in the USA. He is also the chief of neurology in STL. Of course you would get travel pay as well.
                  LCPL USMC
                  DIOG 12-26-2006
                  BETA 3-15-2007

Comment

I see Dr. Rankin here in Iowa, she's also really good.

Comment

Thank you for the info regarding the MS doctors. I have been considering going to the MS clinic in Madison, WI. My mom lives in that area and I thought it might give me a chance at the most cutting edge info.

Comment

Working...
                      X