Hey, Auctioneer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Auctioneer..

Just wanted to move my reply outside that sticky thread.

I was with the US Navy Seabees from 1970 -74 with three tours overseas.
    Start looking for your DD214. You're covered for some stuff since you served during 'Nam. It doesn't matter if you were in country or not, the only thing that matters is when you served. If you can't find your DD214, check with the VA. It should be on record with the state you listed as your home address. I'd avoid trying to get a copy from St. Louis (online) unless you live in MO.

DX with MS in October of 2006. According to my first neuro I have had MS for 25 - 30 years.
    Try to get in touch with that Neuro, if possible. See if they'll send a letter attesting to that. I'm not sure if you can prove being DX'd within the VA's seven year "window" but it might help since you served during 'Nam.

These veterans posts have me thinking that just maybe I can get a little help from the VA. I am not on any medication due to the expense. I do have insurance, but it only covers the first 1,500.00 worth of medicine which would only cover about one month of injections.
    Uh huh. Forget the pension stuff for a minute. The VA can Rx and provide your meds plus do the diagnostic tests (MRIs X-rays LPs) you'll need along with stuff from rehab to assistive devices to follow-on care as you need it. VA co-pays tend to be VERY affordable if you're still working (most meds max out at $8 a month) to FREE if you're not.

I really appreciate your response. I went to the VA office in our state today and filed for a new DD-214. Not really worried about any retirement, but am totally interested in affordable medication. I have tried to get a DD-214 on-line for nearly a year with no luck. Today the VA office made it easy as 1, 2, 3.

Comment

even if your outside that seven year window of the VA they will still take care of all your MS needs, just call 1-800-827-1000 that is the VA's number

Comment

Still trying to get a DD Form 214. All of my records showed up really fast. The only thing missing was the DD Form 214. It's just like magic, only bad magic. We'll keep trying.

Comment

I'm wondering if this has to do with the Seabee part?
          Now a days, Navy is Navy is Navy although they're also wearing goofy uniforms.
          Back in your day, there was that wall between specialties (especially in terms of paperwork).

Then again, I've also been going to the same VA hospital and getting my Rxs from them for almost two years.
          I still don't have an ID card although all that info is in their system. Maybe they think I'm going to sneak into the MRI?

Comment

Update.

The VA has been great. I've also told them that VA also stands for "Very Accommodating". I sent my records in advance and on my first visit I was given Copaxone. I guess I said, "pardon me," too many times because they sent me in to have my hearing tested. My new hearing aids arrived last week. I have three more appointments scheduled for next month. Just sorry I waited so long to get started. Thank you all for the advice.

Comment

Well, Woo Hoo! Really glad to hear it.

Now, do me a favor and help another Vet if you can. There's a lot of bogus info out there and you've been through the hardest part- getting started.
              Your experience can help someone else.

Comment

If you need a scooter , a walk aide or AFO they will also supply them N/C.
                Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I left that part out. They supplied me with a cane and a walker. The cane actually helps out a lot with my balance. Haven't used the walker much, but it does help me take longer steps, which will help strengthen my leg and back muscles.

Bob698

Helping out another vet is no problem, I've been doing what I can for years.

Comment

Working...
                  X