Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Veterans with MS

Good Morning -
    I am an Air Force Veteran - I got honorably discharged in 1984. I was diagnosed with MS in 2003 but they date it back to around 1998. I was stationed for 3 years in Okinawa Japan - can I file a claim that my MS is service related or would that be a stretch?? Since they don't know what causes MS - viral, environmental, etc...why wouldn't it be - ALS is now a definite claim. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

You have a seven year window after your EAOS (in your case, 1991) to show that you may have had MS while you were active duty if you're aiming for a service-connected pension. If you can document symptoms during that seven year period (Dr. visits, ER, consults, etc.) which led to your MS diagnosis that also counts. Check the sticky threads for more info.
    You can use the VA for health care and meds at any time, depending on your financial status and ins. coverage the VA may be a much better deal.

Comment

Bob- I have to disagree with your comment about the 7 years unless I am misunderstanding what you are saying. I have applied for service related disability, I have been out for 22 years now, but they have found numberous early MS symptoms in my medicals records dating back to late 70's . I wasn't diagnosed until 2008. The PVA rep said there is no problem that it has been that long as long as the notes aremade in my med records of symptoms.

KZAK- I agree with Bob that you need to apply for VA med care, you can do with forms you can print fro mthier web site, they are providing my tysabri, baclofen and Ampyra all at no charge to me even though I have not been awarded any disability rating from them yet.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

The VA's rules for MS are seven years from EAOS.
        Again, if you can prove that you had symtoms within the seven year window that later were Dx'd as MS, you're covered for a service connected pension.
        If you served during a formal declared war time period (including the Korean conflict) you could be qualified for a non service connected pension. Korean and Viet Nam vets may have other programs also available.

Comment

Military and MS

Since they don't know what causes MS - viral, environmental, etc...how do they know if it is service connected or not? I have documentation that I would pass out during formations, therefore I didn't have to participate - I have since I was little. Heat has always affected me. Would that be a symptom? Also...being stationed over in Okinawa...

Comment

They really don't.
            I'm guessing the VA had a bunch of Neuros sit down and told them "We need a number". The Neuros went to lunch, came back, and said "7".
            Actually, this is probably a statistical deal. Again, don't get hung up on one facet of the VA. Depending on your coverage and financials, they may be able to save you a ton of money while you get treated, pension or no pension.
            In the future, as research continues on what actually causes MS, that number may get changed but these changes tend to take a while.

BTW, I did half of my active time in southern Japan (Sasebo). I miss grilled squid and Georgia Coffee.

Comment

Veterans with MS

Bob...I miss the gorgeous aqua blue water and the yakisoba!

Comment

Every town in north America should have at least one noodle shop and a ginza.
                That, and I really miss stuff like:

Four liter beer torpedos in vending machines.

Grape Nehi with a real grape in the can.

Real Korean bar b que and kim chi.

Pickled dikon radish (sliced thin and served with a beer torpedo).

The $25 apple.

Real wasabe.

Comment

Veteran with MS

Spent 3 1/2 years at Kami Seya, Japan, outside of Yokohama. How about Kirin beer, yakatori and Josan's? Have MS since 2004. Was in Japan during the 1964 Olympics, great memories.

Peace - Nick

Comment

I got diplopia at age 18, about 1 year before joining the Navy, learned 2 years ago it was MS Sx and a few months later got the RRMS Dx.

Boot camp (great lakes) I was NOT allowed by the CC to march in revue, ordered to do watch duty instead. I just could not make my legs work well enough, but it's NOT documented, that I know of.

GGomer

Comment

It is 7 years from discharge, it is on the V.A. website
                      LCPL USMC
                      DIOG 12-26-2006
                      BETA 3-15-2007

Comment

I am going through the process of getting VA health care, also. A computer mistake in Atlanta has me doing twice the paperwork to correct the VA's mistake. The local VA knows that their is a computer mistake, but cannot see me until it is corrected. They have been very helpful.

They told me to apply for service connected disability while this is getting straightened out. I have requested a copy of my medical records from active duty. I was frequently put on bed rest without a diagnosis. Hopefully, there will be something in my records to help my case.

They also said that I should provide medical records from the seven years after I got out of the military. Here is the problem, I didn't have insurance most of that time so I didn't go to the doctor a lot. I also moved a lot during that time.

One of the doctors that would have known me the best is dead for several years now. He delivered me, he was my pediatrician and family doctor until I was 22 years old.

My mom is trying to help me piect together any health records I had during this time. Is my case hopeless?

Comment

Question about the 7 years....

I was diagnosed in 2004, 11 months after my discharge from the Air Force (well within the 7 year window that is stated by the VA) but there is nothing in my medical records while I was active about any symptoms for MS.

In order for it to qualify as service related, do your medical records have to show symptoms related to MS while you were active? Or is it just a flat 7 years and its automatically service realted?

I was diagnosed in '04 but just recently started dealing with the VA on the issue, so any info I can get is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                          John

Comment

Originally posted by John Haberman View Post
                            I was diagnosed in 2004, 11 months after my discharge from the Air Force (well within the 7 year window that is stated by the VA) but there is nothing in my medical records while I was active about any symptoms for MS.

In order for it to qualify as service related, do your medical records have to show symptoms related to MS while you were active? Or is it just a flat 7 years and its automatically service realted?

I was diagnosed in '04 but just recently started dealing with the VA on the issue, so any info I can get is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
                            John
                            Hey John;
                            The part in bold means you're covered. Since MS tends to take a while to present itself, you have the seven year window in your favor.

Now, we need to clear up some misconceptions that we've all dealt with.

You're talking about being qualified for a service connected pension. That's money going into your pocket. You've been qualified for medical stuff and services since you got out. The only real question is how good your insurance is at your civilian job.

You REALLY need to sit down with a VA Service Officer or a service officer that's VA trained (check around for your local veterans groups). Tell them everything (marital status, kids, work, income, any incarceration, etc.) and don't hold back. Avoid the old VA scuttlebutt like the plague, it will help a lot more to lay all your cards on the table now.

The key is to determine NOW what your medical options are and start the paperwork for the pension as a secondary issue.

A pretty good ballpark for the pension stuff is to figure on 4 to 6 months from the time you submitted the paperwork until the check shows up (you'll also get backpaid from the time you filed). As I read it, you need to let the S.O. know now about your present financial situation.

YOU DON'T WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG TO BEGIN TREATMENT, assuming you want to use the VA for your medical stuff.

Read the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Its pretty generic info (on purpose, there's no way we can cover all the variables for each vet) but it should get you pointed in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
                              Hey John;
                              A pretty good ballpark for the pension stuff is to figure on 4 to 6 months from the time you submitted the paperwork until the check shows up (you'll also get backpaid from the time you filed).
                              Hey Bob,
                              In the VA packet I got in the mail, one page that explains how they determine the effective date for disability compensation they say that the effective date is based on the time I filed the claim, or when the evidence shows a level of disability that supports a certain rating. My question is, would I recieve back pay from my file date, or would I get back paid from the date I was diagnosed in 2004? My medical records show that, since my 2004 attack, I have had loss of sensation in my hands resulting from my first MS attack.

Thanks for your help. this website has been a great help durring this process.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X