It's tax season and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's tax season and...

Having spent too many years in a tax office, I wanted to make sure everyone knows this.

If you're a vet, contact your local property tax office. Benefits vary by state (if you served between wars, you may not be qualified), but veterans are usually entitled to around $1000 off your assessment. If you're considered legally blind or have a disability rating from the VA, this might be more. In most cases, all you have to do is have your DD214 on file.

And FYI, if you're the spouse of a deceased veteran and have not remarried, you may also qualify. Benefits can sometimes be combined if both spouses are vets.

Too many people don't know about this, and it can translate into huge savings off your January tax bills.

Happy new year!

Thank you

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
    Having spent too many years in a tax office, I wanted to make sure everyone knows this.

If you're a vet, contact your local property tax office. Benefits vary by state (if you served between wars, you may not be qualified), but veterans are usually entitled to around $1000 off your assessment. If you're considered legally blind or have a disability rating from the VA, this might be more. In most cases, all you have to do is have your DD214 on file.

And FYI, if you're the spouse of a deceased veteran and have not remarried, you may also qualify. Benefits can sometimes be combined if both spouses are vets.

Too many people don't know about this, and it can translate into huge savings off your January tax bills.

Happy new year!
    Thank you for telling me about this. I am a home owner, and did not know about this. I will call the tax office. All they can do is say no, and it is worth a try. I was in during a war, so I should qualify. Thank you so much for this information.

Comment

Working...
    X