Free Medical Thru VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Medical Thru VA

I was looking for a job at a workforce office, and was talking to a veteran. She asked me, since I was not working, if I had any medical coverage. Of course I didn't, and she told me to go and get my DD214 and go to the VA clinic in my city. I went that day and received medical coverage and all my perscriptions filled. Now even though I don't work, I have free coverage thru the VA. All you have to have is your DD214. You don't have to be retired military either. I only have four years. I hope this helps sum veterans out who like me, did not know about this.

Originally posted by Sunny D View Post
    I was looking for a job at a workforce office, and was talking to a veteran. She asked me, since I was not working, if I had any medical coverage. Of course I didn't, and she told me to go and get my DD214 and go to the VA clinic in my city. I went that day and received medical coverage and all my perscriptions filled. Now even though I don't work, I have free coverage thru the VA. All you have to have is your DD214. You don't have to be retired military either. I only have four years. I hope this helps sum veterans out who like me, did not know about this.
    How long have you been out of service? MS is considered a presumptive service connected disability, if it's within 7 years of discharge. If you're diagnosed after the 7 year limit, but can show that you've had the symptoms prior to the limit, you can fight for service connection!
    MS, it's a brain thang!
    Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

Long been out

Originally posted by kari4566 View Post
      How long have you been out of service? MS is considered a presumptive service connected disability, if it's within 7 years of discharge. If you're diagnosed after the 7 year limit, but can show that you've had the symptoms prior to the limit, you can fight for service connection!
      I have been out since 1985. I didn't start getting any symtoms until 2004. I was working 3 jobs, so that might have had something to do with it. Too much stress. Plus I have recently learned that being around dangerous chemicals could have had something to do with it, and I worked at Motorola for 20 years, and was around alot of chemicals. Who knows. I was just glad to find out that no matter if I had a job or not, I had free medical through the military. It has saved my life, because I am no longer able to work, and haven't received my ssi disibility yet.

Comment

I honestly do not know what I would have done without the VA. My MS and other conditions are service connected. I would not have been able to financially handle the expenses, if I didn't have the VA. Though I would much rather be the me, without all of this, knowing that I don't have to worry about any of my medical, is a MAJOR stress reliever for me. I do wonder, at times, if my MS, Lupus, etc., is a direct result of my service, or if these things would have developed had I never served. In all honesty though, if I had to do it all over again, knowing then, what I know now (and what I have to endure), I would not hesitate to take that oath again. No, I'm not thrilled with what I've been dealt, but I realize there are so many in worse condition, and the pride I feel in having served my Country, makes it alright. After all, we did sign a blank check to our Country, for payment up to and including our lives! If they needed me tomorrow, I would do whatever it took, to serve again.
        MS, it's a brain thang!

Comment

PROUD?

Yeah I was proud too until I got back to the states and realized that "My Country" didn't give a rat's behind ( I'm referring to the people, not the govt) Probably because my war wasn't popular.

Comment

I was Vietnam era... so I know where you are coming from psychboob, but still proud to have served this Country I so love! Be a woman in the military, during an unpopular conflict, still doesn't change how I feel!
            MS, it's a brain thang!

Comment

Means Testing

Even if your MS is not Service-connected, you can receive free medical care through the VA if you have no health insurance or if you meet certain financial requirements. Don't wait and worry, find out today if you qualify.

Comment

For me the VA has been a mixed bag.

To be fair, when I was really down, homeless with a wife and little kids, the VA was a god send. I was able to get medical care and insulins FREE.

Back in the 80s I compalined so much something else was wrong, I was sent to the (all in your head) shrink dept. They said I was not nuts or depressed and sent back to GM.

Now decades later, VA to the rescue again with extensive testing that led to my RRMS Dx and now get my MS care, doc apts, MRIs etc and Copaxone thru the VA at $9/month.

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

I went through the same with the VA... seems I was showing the signs back in the 70's, but because of one Doctor's prejudice, I was sent to shrinks.... turns out they were right, it WAS all in my head, lesions! I have a hate/love relationship with the VA. I could never have afforded all that they've had to put out for me medically, but the decades they made me suffer.... they could never make up for it.
                  MS, it's a brain thang!

Comment

Working...
                  X