Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALL Vets Muster on the MS deck, Gobble Gobble Nov. 28 2010

Weekly Muster on the MS Deck

All veterans, active duty and family are ALL welcome here. As veterans we have some different situations and issues than most civilian MSers. We deal with the VA and some of us get our medical care thru VA medical Centers, issues of getting help with disability and pensions etc.

Please......... Drop in and say HI at least once per muster. We want to know you are doing OK, hope better than just OK. With REGULAR musters we can get to know our fellow vets better and build a sense of UNITY. If you run across a fellow Vet elsewhere on MSworld, please let them know we are here so they can join us.

Seems our weekly muster is easier to find when I use the yelow triangle icon..SO... this week its a triangle and hope ALL our crew member find this.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

The VA web site..... (link below) list notice of free monthly educatinal conference calls.
    http://www4.va.gov/MS/articles/Educa...ence_Calls.asp
    What: Patient and Caregiver conference calls
    When: Second Monday of each month
    Time: 5-6pm PT, 6-7pm MT, 7-8pm CT, 8-9pm ET
    How: call 1.800.767.1750, wait to hear the welcome
    ........ message then punch the code 43157#

If you have not done so yet, please post an intro in the thread titled "Vets Master Muster & intros". Please post only your into there so it ONLY contains your into. You cna always start a new thread for questions or other issues.

How was YOUR week?

Anything new comming up? at the VA or elsewhere? I get my MS care at the VA but use my medicare for my other health care needs.

Gomer Sez, Beware of MIA flying Turkeys!

Thanksgiving was good. Spent the day with family at my niece's house. Everyone was in better spirits than I thought they would be. Lost my sister last month.

Things are pretty busy right now. Had Tysabri infusion #11 last Wed. Have 2 appts. at VA this week, Primary Care and Neuro.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Randy

Comment

Hi y'all,

We had a great holiday. We test drove our new used camper to see our grandchildren in NC. The trip took a lot longer than anticipated with traffic and the wind keeping our speed down, but it was great to have a bathroom so close by. We wanted a test run with our cats, and they did extremely well on the trip. The food was great, and all three granddaughters have birthdays within one week of each other from 11/22 to 11/27.

I am planning on going to another seminar for MS Lifelines. I don't know if anyone else has them but they serve you a nice dinner, have a talk by either a neurologist or a NP specializing in MS care, and you get to ask questions. My symptoms and problems seem stable, but it is always good to hear questions and answers from a group of MS patients.

Comment

Had my TY infusion # 7 on wed, tried to use my AFO on the golf course NOT, the mfg is sending the orthodicts place a different one, they said the one they fit me with was not the correct one for a more active person, should be here and get it on thursday. My youngest is going to get her DL on Wed, so my stress level will go up for while. Have my first appoint with VA Nuero next week and going to thier MS support group meeting the same day.
        Had all the family from NC here for dinner on Thursday,
        A little colder than I would like here in Charlotte but it could be worse and having snow.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Ye Ole Gomer here........

We had our big holiday gathering a week ago. My DD lacks senority to get holidays off to come down to visit.

This week is going to be a bit busy....

Tomorrow I need to return a call to the AFO place. The new AFOs are worse than worthless. They have bent them twice add a support part and they still don't fit right. Bending and rebending and needing more yet to MAKE them wearable is useless. They should fit properly w/o bending and re-bending as they are made from sacts of my ankle-feet area. The guy at the AFO place spoke to me like I was an IDIOT. I KNOW that were not right from first putting them on. The contours do NOT match ME.

I got a reminded its time to schedule my MS clinic apt, so I need to call them.

I see my VA GP Tuesday. I am asking for thyroid testing and diabetes antibody testing to see if it will change my type-2 label and eligability for the MDI I am on (outsdie the VA) at the VA.

I see a non-VA endo at the local diabetes center ad getting good treatment using my medicare.

I am also seeking AEP (audio evoked potentials) to see if the hearing loss may be MS related. IF that is so, then I should be able to claim service connection for the MS as well as the already connected hearing loss.

I kow thats a lot to ask for in one apt, but I have documentation to back up my requests, so that might help.

Then on Wed I see my non-VA nephrologist for my CKD.

My diabetes LABEL has long beena question, is it antibody type, with MS there is extra risk it is antibody related, but has never been actually tested since my Dx over 30 years ago. I have several hypothyroid Sxs beside hair loss and at extra risk due to MS not to mention extra risk due to CKD-3 (stage-3) as well.

Who knows maybe I will get some more long standing questions resolved......even if decades late in coming.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Hello Doc

I'm going to take a chance here that you'll forgive the intrusion.......

Tomorrow I need to return a call to the AFO place. The new AFOs are worse than worthless. They have bent them twice add a support part and they still don't fit right. Bending and rebending and needing more yet to MAKE them wearable is useless. They should fit properly w/o bending and re-bending as they are made from sacts of my ankle-feet area. The guy at the AFO place spoke to me like I was an IDIOT. I KNOW that were not right from first putting them on. The contours do NOT match ME.
            Gomer what kind of AFO did you get? The type I have had to be fitted and molded ahead of time, then sent somewhere to be made. I have the hard plastic kind, which covers the back and sides of my leg from the knee down, and goes in my shoe. There is a velcro type closure just below the knee.

Just curious as to what the new AFO is like. I've had mine for several years now with no problems. (Well, other than having to wear shoes in which the insole can be removed, and shoes that have laces or other closures to hold the AFO firmly in my shoe. And, oh yeah - no heels.)

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Hi KoKo.......

The type AFOs I wear are called Arizona Boots. They are made of formed steel covered in leather and lace up, like a boot. They are made from CASTS (great typo b4...lol). Mine alos fit inside regular, but oversized, shoes.

BOTH the old, the ones I am wearing right now, and worn since 2007 and the worthless (returned) new AFOs are the saem type.

I put them on when I crawl out of bed and shed them at bed time.

Q 4 U ?
              What intrusion? Does not compute n me 'puter.

Comment

Doc Gomer,

Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Good luck with your AFO's.

I need mine too. Too risky to try and walk without it. My right leg has to be (literally) dragged along.....

Take care,
                KoKo
                PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Looks like I batted ZERO 2 da..........@ VA.

Even tho I have been having hypothyroid Sz lately, possable adverse affects from simvastatin (if hypothyroid), documented subclinical HypoT risk with MS PLUS thyroid is a docemented possable adverse reaction to Copaxone (in drug info sheet). NO TESTING!

Well not quite a direct "NO" but more like a nice plesent not in our system response, we'll call you (don't call us).

I got the same response to diabetes antibody testing as well. I am LABELED as type-2 which limits treatment options at the VA. I am on MDI (outside the VA) and do not want to go back to the dark ages. If things get any tighter tho I may have to. Having other autoimmune issues increases the risk my diabetes is also autoimmune.

I provided the doc doc with documentation to back up my requests...for WHAT?

Maybe I am over reacting but I feel like I got stabbed in the back today (Southern gentileman style) w/a smile.

Not a good Gomer day...

Comment

Gomer- just for clarification are you saying that thyroid problems are possible side effect from Copax ? I am having problems with my thyroid and VA has me on Synthroid for it but blamed it on the radiation treatments I had last summer for my neck cancer, it is still swollen up some.

Actually the VA did test me for it, my other dr's gave me the "thats not unusual after the radiation" speal. MY reg GP now has me doubled up on what the VA prescribed as he said it is too low of a dose. He said if the swelling doesn't go away by May ( 1 yr after the end of my radiation treatment) then he will suggest having it removed. The swelling is causing my lower jaw to be numb including my lower lip as if I have been to the dentist for a filling and the pain killer has never worn off.

I have been transfered to a different GP at the VA (at my request/demand)so I will have to see whay he has to say about everything.

Comment

SALUTE!

I apologize I'm posting here as a civilian, but with a DD at the Naval Academy (be nice Army) and a SIL going to bootcamp next month, I have gained a much greater admiration for all who serve and have served our country.
                      I regularly stop and thank military in town. We live in same town as Scott AFB.
                      You are an incredible lot of brave warriors! THANK YOU is not enough.
                      My DD just got her assignment for aviation school after graduating.
                      I'm excited but feel sorry for those moms who had to hear Surface Warfare Officer. Any tips on how not to be so scared. I thought 4 years was enough to prepare me for her active duty. I'm proud of her but scared at same time.
                      Thanks for listening to me. I pray everyday for our military.
                      Thank you for all you do!!!
                      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Pooh....you are VERY welcome here! nice to see you.

Scooter......YES. If you look up on your Copaxone drug info sheet, after the adverse reactions table, then under endocrine...infrequent ... its is there. (I think it was redwings that noted it to me in another thread it was there.)

RADATON affects on thyroid are quite common from my reading.

some GOOD NEWS.....

THe Va (main hospital) called yesterday and arangements were made for thyroid testing. I went in to the local clinic today for the blood draw. The local PG, the vampire and main hospital all got involved in how to do and what etc... They are NOT accustom to doing thyroid tests here. They have to send it out so it will take a week or 2 or who knows?

Comment

Gomer- what kind of thyroid test are they doing, they just drew blood for mine and had results in 2 days but it was at the VA Hospital.

Pooh thank you for your comments, I am just glad that at least at the moment our Military members are getting the recognition that they deserve, though not enough still better than the Vietnam vets recvd.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter24 View Post

Pooh thank you for your comments, I am just glad that at least at the moment our Military members are getting the recognition that they deserve, though not enough still better than the Vietnam vets recvd.
                            you're truly welcome and admired scooter and gomer. it is truly disgraceful the way we did and still do treat our Vietnam vets. no matter what you think about the war, we should be grateful for dedicated military who fight for freedom despite the cost to themselves. i'm proud of what you tried to do for poor So. Vietnam.
                            we had an exchange student from vietnam for a year. it's so sad how twisted her thinking is about the war. the brainwashing they've done since then and the atrocities that are going on now that so many are ignorant of.
                            she was in the upper class of vietnam, so she was allowed to live even though being 3rd child exceeded the limit. i shiver to think about those who aren't so fortunate.
                            thank you for trying to help free that country.
                            God bless ya'll!
                            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Working...
                            X