question about benefits for ppl with ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about benefits for ppl with ms

Several years ago, I heard about a bill to consider ppl with ms to have a service-connected disability.

Have you guys heard anything about this?
    Joanne
    Happy in downtown Chicago
    Jerry is my 20 lb cat

Nope. I haven't heard anything about a "bill". I'm guessing you're refering to claims outside the 7 year window (you can still file for a non-service connected pension). The VA did get funded to be more proactive with MS and there is talk (really low level talk) about links between MS and some of the stuff they gave us during the gulf war(s) but I haven't been holding my breath for any breaking news.
    To be honest, I hear stuff about us getting a ribbon and medal for cold war service but that's been batted around for a while and it would be cheaper to fund. If the medal is going no where imagine the time-line for the DOD to say that there is conclusive proof that things they exposed us to caused MS.

Comment

Unfortunately, not everyone can file for the non-service connected pension. It depends on when you served. I was told I didn't qualify. Active duty from 1981-1987.

Comment

Originally posted by randys438 View Post
        Unfortunately, not everyone can file for the non-service connected pension. It depends on when you served. I was told I didn't qualify. Active duty from 1981-1987.

I thought filing for non-service connected was more about your financial status than when you served? I also wasn't eligible for social security benefits, maybe that's part of the equation?
        See why I didn't want to get into pensions in the sticky thread?

Comment

But Bob!

"See why I didn't want to get into pensions in the sticky thread?"

If there ever was a VA / Vet subject that was "STICKY", pensions would be number ONE......correct?...LOL

I am going out on a thin limb here:

I THINK (???) that non-service con pensions are BOTH dependent on financial need AND active duty dates, dates being in time of WAR, such as Korea, Nam, Gulf I or II etc.

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

There tends to be a lot of "wiggle room" on this topic. I've yet to see any black-and-white write up on who's eligible and why.
            I didn't understand why I got the N-S-C pension and I didn't ask ( I was in it to get a Dx, my first VSO was the one pushing the pension). I guess I was concerned someone would think I was asking for a review and they'd wind up yanking it.

Comment

Thanks, everyone for your input.

I knew I had seen an article somewhere and was hopeful.
              Joanne
              Happy in downtown Chicago
              Jerry is my 20 lb cat

Comment

Benefits..

I am service connected with MS.. the Paralyzed Veterans Association (PVA) helps with MS.. I am not paralyzed, but they have helped me with getting more money and such..give them a try.

Comment

I think the reasoning is that since MS often (not always) attackes the spinal cord...that creates a common thread...(puntended).......for PVA.

If you think about it, it does make more sense for PVA to be THE VSA for vets with MS.

My TuPence for TuDay....

Comment

I was active duty 74-87 never served in combat area, I have put in paperwork on my own for service related disability and they are processing it now, have been verified by the va of my dx, and they some how came up with more medical records than I had recvd when I requested them, they have asked and tested me about corpal tunnel surgery I had in 84 that did not take care of the problem of numbness in my hands. If I get some $ out of this it would be great but all I really am after is the medical care and them moving me to a different category for coverage than I am at now as my wifes health insurance is going to double this year if we keep the same coverage but if she goes on it by her self and covers me with supplemental coverage it will be less than 100 a month. I am on SS now for disability and any extra change helps.
                    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

What Da Ya Sa Scooter........

"some how came up with more medical records than I had recvd when I requested them,"

I requested my complete Navy MedRecs in late 07. Lots of things MIA, some of it IMPORTANT. I brought this to the attention of my then VSO, MOPH rep. He was not very co-operative, and said he had looked into my records and there was nothing there of relavance (HIS opinion).. basicly there is more but he was not about to get it for me. No reason WHY I can not get the missing parts.

I KNOW some missing parts would or should support my MS being service connected, and one episode I know would show I had a (temp?) blood sugar problem that landed me admitted to sick bay once. That Lab test, both results and reason WHY it was ordered is totally missing.

Having a medical issue/Dx connected to active duty DOES make a difference in the level of care as well as your out of pocket costs. Because I am not service connected with my diabetes, I do not qualify for the insulins I have been on since 2007. I have no desire to return to the dark ages insulins, stds, and routines, not after being on MDI w/Lantus and Humalog.

I am on SSDI as well, but its not easy making ends meet these days, especially with added medical cost.

I plan to request testing to determine if my hearing loss, they withheld that from me for 40 years, is MS connected. I plan to ask for a Audio Evoked Potential test. If that shows my hearing loss is CNS related, BINGO? (I hope). I KNOW my diplopia (MS related) did in fact get worse, more like DOUBLED while on actie duty. The diplopia alone should prove my MS is service connected. I presfer going in with BOTH audio and visual barrels fully loaded, before I file for MS service connection.

Every penny counts these days scooter. at least in my limited budget.

Comment

Gomer- I noticed that there was no lab reports in my records either, the base I was stationed at in england only had a clinic, one PA and a nurse, if we needed to get more than they could do we had to go to another base and those records are not in there either, also while I was in CA they sent me to Naval hospital in San Diego and there is no record of that either, they are supposed to be checking on these records also as the stuff from the naval hosp should help my case.
                        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrys_mom View Post
                          Thanks, everyone for your input.

I knew I had seen an article somewhere and was hopeful.
                          Just to clarify, from your original question the disease doesn't matter. Whether or not you qualify for a service-connected pension, you can and should still contact the VA for medical care. As long as you served and got an honorable discharge, there are services to help you.
                          This seems to be a point of confusion that I've noticed over the years and its why I wanted to put a lot of distance between pensions and medical services.
                          I would strongly recommend you contact a VA rep and discuss your situation. A pension is nice but its far from the total picture.

Comment

I was in Navy 93 - 99. I was 'officially' diagnosed in '06. I am currently filing paperwork to get disability comp.
                            There is a great website within VA called the MS Center of Excellence. "www.va.gov/ms" (website won't allow me to post links because I'm a new guy) Lots of good info.
                            I am trying to prove symptoms started before the 7 yr window, to get service-connected disability.

Comment

I don't want to get your hopes up yet, but you should be OK.
                              Dig around in the threads of this sub-forum. Sparky started it for us so the info would be easier to find.
                              Keep in mind the seven year window applies to MS Symtoms as well as an official Dx. Meaning (based on your time line), if you can document being seen by a Dr. for stuff that was later linked to your MS, you're covered in terms of the seven year window.
                              If things are looking good on the pension, I'd strongly advise finding a VA service officer to represent you just for the pension stuff, even (especially) once it kicks in.
                              The VA has some pretty heavy beaurocracy for pensions and you'll hear from them pretty quickly if they think you screwed up.

Comment

Working...
                              X