• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA health care, then & now?

How would YOU rate your health care from your VA clinic or hospital:

Then, in months or years past?

and

NOW, how is your current quality of VA health care?

Thanks for the idea for this thread Sailors song

For me it has been a mixed bag. I got great oncology followup back in the 80s. I also had problems with some of the other clinics.

My VA care suffered most in the early 2000s, but it ahs been better recently.

Currently I only get my MS care at the VA, and my hearing aids. They just changed quality of the ear bits tubes. The new ones are TERRABLE, not to mention cheap JUNK! Very uncomfortable, don't fit well and nearly lost one hearing aid due to it already.

Gomer

I'm only in for eye care and MS.
    As mentioned in the previous thread, I had a nightmare back in Maine trying to get treatment. Partly because the VA in Maine is under-funded and partly because the VA in Maine has been abused by frustrated actors.

Out here in Iowa, its been really good treatment. I started out in the first year with appts that felt like every week. Lots of lab work and then the MRIs (which I fought to get back in Maine for eight years). Lucked out by getting a REALLY good Neuro who basically "debriefed" me for about an hour on stuff I had done for myself (diet and exercise, mostly). She wound up telling me that my Dx was "textbook" for MS and she honestly wanted to find out how I was still able to walk. It turned out that I guessed right on all the stuff I had been doing back in the wilderness.
    Then I started on Beta and have responded really well. For MS, my appts now are closer to twice a year with yearly MRIs unless my Sx change.
    The only "downside" has been that "textbook" Dx I got. Now, when I go for a neuro appt, I know I'll get to meet the Class of 2012.
    Lots of interns just happen to be there on my appt days, but its cool. When the doc asks them a question, I try to slip them the answer.

Comment

Almost forgot, the folks in the SCI (spinal cord injury) ward tried to claim me after I started treatment.
      I get a couple of appts sent to me early on so I go. They outsourced me for a bone density X ray and then wanted me to do an LP. This was after I had started Beta and my spinal MRI came back clean (In my book, I feel lucky I have no spinal leasions and they're already doing everything they can. Why push the envelope with an invasive proceedure that won't change any outcomes?).
      It was tricky because I don't want to make any waves, but I talked to my Neuro about it and let her play with the internal politics.

Comment

Bob, My MS is also TEXT BOOK, no shortage of long standing Dawson's fingers upstairs and hey, If I was in Iowa I might be SCI game, as I have several spinal lesions to boot!

Afte today meeting with my VSO, JOE-ker..twisted humor here, since his name is also Joe. I think I will make an apt with my GP at the local VA. She is real nice, or at least has been great so far. Maybe she can help. All I am doing right now is spinning wheels as far as the MS service connection.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
          All I am doing right now is spinning wheels as far as the MS service connection.
          As of now, there IS no service connection for MS, in the strict sense of military service causing MS.
          There are findings that service personel have a higher incidence of MS than other groups, especially if they served during the gulf war periods, but these are still considered incidences. For a strict service connection there has to be a verified causation (He took this pill and this shot and had this stress and that's what caused his condition).
          Otherwise, you would have to document being Dx'd within 7 years after you were discharged. This doesn't say that the service caused your condition, just that it was likely you came down with the disease while you were in uniform and are therefore covered.
          I know the 7 year standard isn't fair with MS and how long it can take to get a Dx but them's their rules. In my opinion the VA is going as far as they can for now. They want to treat us and are doing so but they can't say "compensation" if we're outside the window. At least not until we all understand and agree with what causes MS in the first place.

Comment

Morning Bob.........

As I understand it, a medical condition can be service connected if it either began, OR was made worse while on active duty.

-1- IF (big word only 2 letters). I could get an apt with a neuro-ototologist and testing showing my hearing loss is sensorial-neural due to nerve damage, that should connect the needed dots. note the hearing loss is documented to have begun while on active duty.

Catch-22 Cart-Horse? Getting such testing done may not be easy, w/o filling a claim first, but if I can't get a claim filed, it will be hard to get such testing done.

Excerpt from the VA website FAQ MSCoE:

There is a presumptive period for MS which is 7 years from date of discharge. Although in many cases, the veteran may not be diagnosed until well after the 7 years expired, they may still have a chance to get service connected for MS. That is if the veteran was receiving treatment for conditions that could be early symptoms of MS within the 7 year presumptive period and if their doctor provides a medical opinion linking these early symptoms with the MS diagnosis.

As for the MOPH VSO rep, I am thinking of writting a letter to him, giving him benifit of doubt (re burn-out) & being polite (taking the high road) yet letting him KNOW how humiliating his conduct and attitude was. maybe he does not realize his own conduct. Even then I plan to sit on it for a spell before actually sending any letter.

I am actually considering doing the unthinkable, filling my own claim. I'm my own STRONGEST advocate, and I KNOW my own med history better than anyone else. Most of my health problems while in the Navy were while iI was stationed in Fla, read HEAT, which untill recently I did not know about heat and MS or even MS for that matter, kinda makes some sense NOW. I neeed to research and bone up on rules and proceedures, may not be easy of fun.

Comment

I can quote you chapter and verse on Catch 22, according to the DOD everything I did and all of my medical records are classified.
              I wish you would check around for other service orgs that have a VA rep. In my experience, the guys who represent themselves tend to get a lot more gray hair before they get any answers.

Comment

psychboob

Ever since I was diagnosed last yr., it seems like every VA doc I see lays off any symptom I have as "It's the MS", w/o even bothering to check if it might be something else. Is this what I have to look forward to? I was a psych nurse for 20 yrs. and I know some of the symptoms I'm having could be indicative of other conditions, like TIAs, which I've had in the past. If this keeps up, I think the inscription on My tombstone should read "He's not really dead, the rigidity is just his MS".

Comment

Oh psychboob..........

Hi, welcome and HOW did you come up with your (unusual) screen name?

Sounds like someone sent you to the shrinks, on an assUme-ption it was all in your HEAD.........lol
                  Now don't lol too hard, that happened to me decades ago. Turns out decades later they did find a mine field of Dawson's fingers, (and a couple spinal lesions for good measure)

For decades they just looked at me & my neuro issues, must be the diabetes, end of story, no testing or F/U. I am on the same ship, just transfered from must be the DM to gotta be the MS. Why bother testing, so much easier to play the blame it on MS/DM than to actually Dx anything new that comes along.

I like your RIP slogan, I am sure it would fit many others MSers as well. U R not alone!

Comment

I had my first visit with VA community service, a GP who was very nice, ordered all of my medications and scheduled me for blood work (need to be NPO), and all I have to do is just show up and a nurse will draw it (cholesterol and thyroid med check). I also had a sore throat and she treated that too.

However, the Betaseron needs to be ordered by a Neuro, she is not allowed to do that, so I have to go to the Atlanta VA - and I have to wait until Wednesday to call for an appt. I am out of medication, and the cost to me will be $4,000 so I hope it won't take too long. I am enjoying the shot free lifestyle for a little while.

So far, so good.

BTW, my MS was >than 7 years post discharge, but I didn't take it seriously way back then. Dizzy, foot dragging, difficulty getting up, forgetful, and extreme fatigue - well, that can be anything. Even went to infectious disease doc looking for a virus - then fatigue lessened and I went on with my life. Most MS people don't even visit with doctors for these type of symptoms. It took a couple of broken bones because I couldn't balance when walking, which led to an MRI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ga dancer View Post
                      However, the Betaseron needs to be ordered by a Neuro, she is not allowed to do that, so I have to go to the Atlanta VA - and I have to wait until Wednesday to call for an appt. I am out of medication, and the cost to me will be $4,000 so I hope it won't take too long. I am enjoying the shot free lifestyle for a little while.

So far, so good.
                      Check if DAV or one of your local service org's provides van service for appt's. Its a lot less stressful if someone else drives and you won't have to deal with parking. Just call them a couple of weeks before your appt.
                      If you're going to be in a co-pay deal and money is tight, you might want to ask about Extavia (from Novartis). You get more doses per pack (once a month order vs. once every 28 days), pricing may be about 1/2 of Beta , its an "equivalent" of Beta (made in the same plant, its basically the same as Beta) and the only downside I've seen is a 27 gauge needle instead of a 30. I have an appt in November and I want to ask about it and maybe save the VA some bucks.
                      One other thing that's pretty important. BE SURE you titrate up again once you get your meds. I had to miss almost a week at one point after I got to the full dose (my Neuro was holding off on my going full time until she was sure I could tolerate this stuff) and tried doing a 1 mL shot and it hit me like a freight train. That was after a 1 week vacation. Ask the neuro (or better yet, their nurse) how you should do this.

Comment

Hey Gomer The name comes from working on a forensic psychiatric unit ( for you laymen, that's the ward where they put males who have been found not guilty by reason of insanity, usually of a violent crime). One of the patients started calling me that to bug me but all it did was make me laugh. P*ssed him off. My first name is Bob. Worked there for 20 yrs. and then worked with violent juvenile offenders for the dept of juvenile corrections. Oh, and the VA I go to is in Phoenix (eat your heart out Minnesotans). It's going to be in the upper 80s here today. Besides, everybody knows that schizophrenia is contagious.

Comment

Hi psych-O..........

GOMER is mil-speak for.......

Get
                          ...Out!
                          .....My
                          ........Exam
                          ..........Room!

I earned the title the hard way in the Navy. I was even charged with criminal violation of UCMJ after landing at the base hospital via meatwagon w/Pnuemonia! The charge was dropped AFTER I requested my med recs from A school sick bay for the previous 10 days.

Welcome.........

DocGomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

VA clinic is great

Originally posted by gomer View Post
                            How would YOU rate your health care from your VA clinic or hospital:

Then, in months or years past?

and

NOW, how is your current quality of VA health care?

Thanks for the idea for this thread Sailors song

For me it has been a mixed bag. I got great oncology followup back in the 80s. I also had problems with some of the other clinics.

My VA care suffered most in the early 2000s, but it ahs been better recently.

Currently I only get my MS care at the VA, and my hearing aids. They just changed quality of the ear bits tubes. The new ones are TERRABLE, not to mention cheap JUNK! Very uncomfortable, don't fit well and nearly lost one hearing aid due to it already.

Gomer
                            My VA clinic, in Austin, Tx, is great. I have three different doctor, each in a special field, get all my meds. and they keep me current on everything. I get my appts. in a timely manner, and all my meds. through the mail.
                            They are great.

Comment

Rating Healthcare

My first experience with the VA was in Los Angeles back in the early 90s and it was horrible. Was told that I was not eligible for VA Benefits except for my back which I now think was my first exacerbation. Woke up at 0400 for PT at Ft Leonardwood and couldn't get out of bed. So, only went when pain was extremely bad. One doc at Los Angeles VA even told me there was nothing wrong with me; he didn't know why I was in pain. Most of my lesions are in my spine, and I was told at DX, in 09, that I will have mostly lower back, leg and foot problems-jackpot, I do.

Moved to Central CA in 93 and had a few visit with the Palo Alto VA outreach clinic at the old Ft Ord. Saw a doc who believed me when I told him about the pain and gave good meds, but it was hard to see him because he was only there one morning a week. Then I moved to TN and got a job that provided healthcare. I stayed away from the VA.

Flashforward to 2009 and my DX from ER doc at local civilian hospital. Friend tells me to go to VA because I may be service-connected due to activitation in 03-04. I go to Murfreesboro and Nashville VAs. They are both better than Los Angeles VA or local docs and hospitals I saw before my DX. I think they sometimes go overboard on testing me for things, but, at least they believe me when I tell them my problems/issues. Alot of times I see resident or intern, it takes a little longer, they have to go consult with the doc in charge, but they are very thorough and eager to do a good job.

Comment

Working...
                              X