Any Advice for VA disability claim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Advice for VA disability claim?

My wife and I are submitting a claim to the VA for disability due to MS.

Fortunately, I copied all of my medical records from the Navy; and was honorably discharged. Have my DD214.

I had my Neuro review my med records and write a letter stating Symptoms of MS were present during my service. Chronic Fatigue!

Also have numerous records from incidents after my military service. Some of this occurred during the 7 years from my discharge from Active Duty.

Does anyone have any advice for submitting this claim? I am working with my county's Veterans' Service Office and things seem to be going well.

We are still gathering paperwork to get my Neuro's statement updated; and to see if I can get some additional medical records.

Thanks,

DH

It sounds like you covered your bases.
    Even though your Neuro is submitting docs, I'm thinking they'll still want to examine you and possibly run an MRI and other diagnostic tests. Just be yourself and stay honest. Avoid the temptation to win an Oscar and let the Dr's do their thing.
    It might be handy to write up a time line of your SX and the dates they happened. I wouldn't start quoting it, just keep it handy in case they want to see it.
    Stay patient. Sometimes the process can take a while. Keep your VSO updated to any changes (new SX, employment status, changes in income, new documents, etc.) and try not to stress out.
    Let us know how things went. I had a pretty horrid experience in my old state but things were very smooth after I moved. The two VA hospitals were like night and day and I'm curious how things are in other states.

Comment

One other thing that might help..

Just in case, if you're still in touch with some of the folks you served or worked with they can document the stuff they witnessed (but only what they witnessed).
      There's a form just for this, I can't recall the number though.
      As I understand it, these documents should only include actual testimony with no here-say or editorial (ie, "I served with ###### from #### to #### and noticed on many/several occasions that they had to go to sick call due to ###########.").
      Ask your VSO about it. I'm not sure if these forms need to be notarized but they MUST be completed and signed by the witness.

Comment

just as confused

I got a letter from the v a this week, said I needed to be there today at the c and p clinic for evaluation. I was asked a world of questions but when I tried to asked an MS question, he would cut me off and say that's another situation. I wanted to ask then why am I here but I didn't. I think it was an aptitude quiz or something. I have an appointment with my va neuro in a few weeks, maybe he can shed some light on what happen.

Comment

jfish- what facility in NC did you go to? Who is your VA Nuero?
          Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Originally posted by jfish View Post
            c and p clinic.

It took me a while to figure out what SCI was (Spinal Chord Injury), what the heck is C and P?

If its an over-all eval they're doing, its been my experience that they won't focus on MS outside of saying "Yes, we know. We can read the chart, too".

I've had exams where they test my reflexes and I'll mention what the MS Sx have been in the past, only to find out later that it wasn't what they were looking for or that it was what they were looking for but in a different area.

Comment

C and P?

I think they are referring to COMPensation and Pension.

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Cardio/pulmanary?

I have fun trying to figure these clinics out when I get an appt. notice. It took a while to figure out SCI was the spinal unit.
                I've learned to assume the clinics outside of Neuro will dialte my eyes. If I get an appt. from Proctology, I'll plan that they're going to dialate my eyes.

Comment

Yes bob I would expect they would DILATE your BROWN eye, as a matter of routine...........lol

Doc Gomer Doctor of, Been There, Done That.

Comment

Never Give Up!

Hello, I am also a retired vet, 21 years with the air force. The most important advice I can give, NEVER GIVE UP. It took me a long time but eventually I won a bit more of disability. I also recommend letters from your doctor, friends or coworkers.I went to the DAV and they helped me greatly.

Good Luck,, ME

Comment

HI DoogieHzr,
                      I am a disablied vet with MS. I am a 100% due to MS.
                      I worked thru DAV. I found them to be very helpful.

RBRRTS3

Comment

My claim is in the Active Status!

thanks for everyone's input.

We'll see how things go from here.

Comment

Disability through SSI

Originally posted by DoogieHzr View Post
                          My wife and I are submitting a claim to the VA for disability due to MS.

Fortunately, I copied all of my medical records from the Navy; and was honorably discharged. Have my DD214.

I had my Neuro review my med records and write a letter stating Symptoms of MS were present during my service. Chronic Fatigue!

Also have numerous records from incidents after my military service. Some of this occurred during the 7 years from my discharge from Active Duty.

Does anyone have any advice for submitting this claim? I am working with my county's Veterans' Service Office and things seem to be going well.

We are still gathering paperwork to get my Neuro's statement updated; and to see if I can get some additional medical records.

Thanks,

DH
                          I did not have ms during my military years, so I don't know about going through the va, but I can tell you if you need a lawyer, the ms offers lawyers. Just call your local ms society and they will hook you up with one. The reason I suggest this is, my first attempt at getting my benefits was denied, so I got a lawyer to help fight my appeals. I figure they know more than I about the govt. and it takes some of the load off my mind. The lawyer is free, but I think they will get a fee when I get my benefits. I just thought you might want to know.

Comment

Working...
                          X