Change to Tricare Benefits in the Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change to Tricare Benefits in the Fall

Hubby is retired military as of three years ago. My daughter, who is away at college, just received notice that since she is more than 100 miles from a MTF, she will be changed to Tricare Standard from Tricare Prime Remote in the fall.

I was dx with MS two years ago, but we currently live in MD where with the Tricare Prime we have elected to go with Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan which has been awesome for my MS care.

We are however planning to move back to northeastern Ohio in the next 2-3 years so I am concerned about the impact cost-wise of the change from Tricare Prime Remote (where I would be able to receive relatively low cost care from the Cleveland Clinic) to Tricare Standard. Does anyone have more details on what this change will mean cost-wise for retirees? It seems to me that this puts an awful burden on retirees and their families with medical issues who do not live close to a MTF. In fact, we are considering locating closer to Wright-Patt just because of this. Thoughts?

Hello Woodstock

This is actually "KatieDidNot". I quit MSWorld, but have been lurking recently to review posts about BG-12 and get some more insight on it.

I saw your post and thought I would respond because you were nice to me once.

I just recently moved home in December, but was living in Ohio until then...Wright-Patt was my last duty station.

As Retired AD, I chose Tricare Standard, and it has been wonderful! I have a supplement through ASI and I hear the one through the Air Force Association is good too. I think you will like it. Just to let you know, although Wright Patt is a regional medical center, they will not treat your MS. You will get referred to a local neuro and they in turn will refer you to the University of Cincinnati Waddell Center.

There are 3 MS Centers in Ohio: Cincinnati's Waddell Center, Cleveland Clinic's Mellon Center and The Ohio State University. Ohio State does not accept Tricare in any form, but Senator Brown is working on that issue.

If I had the option, I would have gone to the Cleveland Clinic, but the 5-hour trip was too much. You can't beat the Cleveland Clinic...and they do lots of trials and research.

Do not move to the Dayton/Cincy area just to be near Wright-Patt. Please remember that it is the largest AFB in the US, and AD will get priority. Friends of mine who had primary care there had to wait 3-4 weeks for care. Now if you all are going there for work...different story.

I will say this though...Ohio medical care is far superior than what I am getting now. Ohio is up there with California and Mass. In fact it is so bad here, that I am considering doing what my Aunt does and that is fly to Mayo Clinic two times a year for treatment...except, I would probably go to the Cleveland Clinic.

Best of luck to you back in Ohio. I moved because I am "cold intolerant" and some family issues. Did not realize it until I moved to Ohio...go figure. It is 70s, 80s, and 90s for this gal.

Cheers--Katie
    Katie
    "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
    "My MS is a Journey for One."
    Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Thank you Katie! A couple of questions for you. The Tricare supplement that you mentioned through ASI...I'm not familiar with ASI. Do you have a website or anything you could point me to?

Also, would the supplement be good for dependent children as well as the spouse that does not have MS? Sorry, I just haven't been aware of what supplements are or do...just knew that there were supplements for folks on Medicare.

I was aware of the situation with Ohio State as that is where my daughter has been attending and we pay extra each year so that she can be seen for free at the student health center on campus because they don't even accept Tricare for their college students. I think there's only one hospital (not close to campus there) that is part of Tricare.

Comment

Google "ASI Military Supplement" and you will find the website.

Both my ex and I who were both AD were accepted by ASI, and they knew that I had MS. I am hearing that all supplements now require a 6 month waiting period on pre-existing conditions. Additionally we had two kids on the plan as well.

I currently pay $67 a month, just for me. A friend of mine is only paying $40, but they do not have any medical issues.

Since all retirees under 65 will be under Standard in the near future understanding supplements is a big deal. Instead of me trying to type it all in here, it would be best to call ASI and they will explain it to you.

Standard has given me the freedom to choose my doctor and no referrals necessary. Both my ex and I we very glad we chose Standard over Prime from the word go. No "cattle call" or HMO type situation.

Been there done that with a kid at OSU. They are not Tricare friendly.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your return home...it is a good feeling...to finally get back where you belong.

Katie
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Katie,

Thank you so much!! This is excellent information. Right now, we are in Maryland and are under US Family Health Plan with Johns Hopkins. Even with needing referrals and only being able to use Rite Aid pharmacies, we've loved being with USFHP. I have an awesome neuro at the MS clinic at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

With the change to Standard, I'm hoping that perhaps other major hospitals (like the Cleveland Clinic) will put more HMO type plans together for AD and retired that are similar to USFHP.

Again, thank you so much for the timely information!

Comment

Hello Woodstock,

I'm retired AF and currently work at WPAFB as a DoD Civilian. I have been going to the hospital at Wright-Patt since we moved back to Ohio in 2003.

I started being see in neurology for possible MS in 2010. To make a long story short, I have been officially diagnosed with RRMS. My last appointment at the base was 10 April 13, at which time my neurologist put in the order for Copaxon. The pharmacy said it should be in by Monday. So looking forward to those daily shot!

I'm not sure why Katie wasn't able to be seen on base. I just wanted to let you know that they are treating my MS at the base Hospital. In fact, my doctor said he has several MS patients. You could always call the Hospital and explain you are moving back to the area and just want to verify they are able to treat MS patients. The phone number at the Neurology clinic is (937) 257-1571.

Monika

Comment

Thank you Monika! Good luck with the Copaxone. I've been on it for a year now. Give it a chance as it will take at least three months to adjust...at least that's what happened with me. I came close to quitting several times. My last MRI showed no progression, so I am hopeful with the Copaxone. Feel free to friend me if you'd like to chat.

Comment

Working...
              X