Detroit area Vet, Sucide by Cop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Detroit area Vet, Sucide by Cop

Not much surprises me anymore, especially what happended in a suburb of Detroit this veterans Day weekend.

A vet with multiple health problems
    as well as past financial issues ended his fight with mainly frustrating multiple medical problems.

He simply went/walked into a (near his apartment) police station, walked in and pulled a gun. An office was wounded but of course he was gunned down by untold number of shots to the chest when he refused to drop his weapon. (official version per news).

Considering how great (being sarcastic) our VA is in here in Michigan, I am not the Least bit surprised. I would not be surprised less violent, yet similar situations happen often, but go unreported in my area.

Will this tragic event change anything? Not on your life will it make even a blip on things in general here.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

I would like to say I'm shocked but sadly, am not. Not really.

This is beyond tragic, no matter what angle you look at it from. I hope the wounded officer and the family of this poor man will be able to find some way to heal.

Thank you for sharing this, Gomer. It is important to get news like this, even if it doesn't seem to help prevent future such tragedies. Here's to hoping things will someday change. Rather sooner than later would be good.

Comment

I had written months ago to both my Senators about how bad attitudes and treatment or should I say lack of treatment by the VA here. I also pointed out that my poor treatment was not an isolated thing there. (note my MS treatment is OK, but other clinics a waste)

Senator Debbie Stabenow at least responded kindly (no real results) but Senator Carl Levin of all senators did nothing but send me political propaganda, not even a form letter. (I think he is even on the armed services committee or similar)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
        I had written months ago to both my Senators about how bad attitudes and treatment or should I say lack of treatment by the VA here. I also pointed out that my poor treatment was not an isolated thing there. (note my MS treatment is OK, but other clinics a waste)

Senator Debbie Stabenow at least responded kindly (no real results) but Senator Carl Levin of all senators did nothing but send me political propaganda, not even a form letter. (I think he is even on the armed services committee or similar)

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
        Gomer,

At least you got a response from one of your Senators. I have gone the same route here in TN writing to not only my Senators but also my Representative. I got no response from any of them. In fact I didn't even get political propaganda from any of them.
        Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

I saw that on the news, broke my heart. My Mum served in the Royal Air Force in WWII and is probably rolling in her grave at the deplorable (to say the least) treatment of Veterans.

Right before this story, there was another about a War Memorial that was vandalized/defaced ON VETERANS' DAY right after services were held there. It said, "Canada will burn (I'm not going to repeat the rest of it, out of respect)". This took place in an extremely rich part of my city (not where I live lol) where you couldn't find a house under $5 million.

Gomer, from me, personally... God bless you and everyone else who have sacrificed for our freedom. Respect is the least you deserve.
          Jen
          RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
          "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Still thinking about this story and still wishing it hadn't happened.

My husband's a Canadian vet and in the last several years his untreated PTSD is getting worse. Wish the our VA so busy with currently returning soldiers, and his case being so old (mid 80s), we are getting no help there. And now my MS diagnosis...I'm so afraid that one day he'll just snap.

Things like just should not still be happening! It seems our respective governments and societies have learned nothing from previous wars. Or what it actually cost someone to defend the rights our soldiers provided to the very same people who do the most b****ing about it with vandalism and even protest marches. He used to be called a "baby killer" when still in and on the streets in uniform.

Why don't people get that is the soldiers who least want to go war, and it's their sacrifices that give us the freedoms and rights we take for granted? Why are they ignored, or worse, openly reviled, after they get out? Grrrr...

Comment

Working...
            X