Should I be mad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I be mad?

I was seen by the same PC at the Phoenix VA for ten years beginning in 2000. For 9 of those ten years, I complained about what I know now to be the classic symptoms of MS.
    He finally referred me to neurology where I was diagnosed with RRMS (surprise, surprise)
    It is now 2012 and, last month, I was told that I am now diagnosed with secondary-progressive MS.
    I find myself thinking more and more that if my PC would have caught it earlier, I could have started on DMDs and maybe put off the transition either for a period of time or maybe, permanently.
    I now find myself getting angrier and angrier at what I consider medical incompetence by my PC and I am wondering if it's even possible to bring a malpractice suit against a VA doctor.
    Does anybody have any experience with bringing this kind of action against the VA?

Good, Bad & UGLY docs abound both in and out of military & VA systems.

Poor, very poor medical care IMO was WHY I left the Navy. I even told that to a reporter (to the shock of the CWO) in an interview (w/314 days left) while coasting off the east coast before heading to the Mediterranean, in 1969.

I think it would be hard if not impossible to sue either gov entity for malpractice. At least a few, VA docs have been good docs. That's better odds than I had while in the Navy. Even good docs are limited by (often substandard) VA standards. Some times care is dictated more by politics, studies etc than the well being or needs of the vet. Then another factor is the SPECIFIC VA facility, that also varies greatly.

You have every right to be MAD, problem is what good will it do? I myself is furious the VA denied my claim, in part saying there was no evidence I even currently have diplopia, yet the same denial letter also noted I had diplopia before joining. Funny thing is I am wearing the diplopia prisms updated & provided by the VA in 2010.

While on AD I went for just horizontal diplopia correction to both horiz and vert correction. My AD separation phsyical was nothing more than using my boot camp physical and changing my rate at the bottom.

Good luck with what ever direction you take.

GomeR Sir Falls--lot

Comment

PS....forgot to add..

I have had mostly bad PC docs at the VA but got a great one in 2009 and my MS doc is good as well. Still with both.

Gomer Sir Falls--lot

Comment

I have always been told that you couldn't sue military and VA dr's.
        I don't think they even have malpractice insurance as many VA drs do not have a license to practice in the state where they are located.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I can understand your anger. My advise though is don't waste the energy on something that can't be changed. Use that energy to deal with what you aer going through now.

Good luck.
          Webbles

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down (much)

Comment

Most docs you see at the VA are doing their residences, usually required before getting a MD lic in that state (I think)

BUT! Resident docs operate under the direct supervision of a properly (state?) lic MD, or at least in theory if not by law. I would think the attending/supervising doc might have some responsibility for the actions of residents under his/her wing.

When I have my MS clinic appts, I see a resident first, but the attending full MD also always sees me as well (so far). In some VA clinics I seldom if ever seen by the MD running that clinic. It varies..... ever hear me use that term before?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I think I am going to focus my anger on making as many of the VA staff aware of this problem as possible.

Think I'll start with my current PC, then move on to the Patient Rep, the Director, and every other Dr I see there.

I have always been a fighter (in a peaceful way) and I have no intention of letting this issue die a quiet death.

Comment

Back in the 80s I GAVE UP! After being sent to the shrinks for complaining too much about PHYSICAL medical issues.

It was just too much for me at the time. many a time I was tempted to seek medical care for walking problems, had to crawl to navigate the stairs etc or felt like a dead man walking, but was afraid of more of the same from the past so I just suffered thru whatever.

Gomer

Comment

Will they withhold treating with DMD with the secondary progressive diagnosis? What is the basis for the change in your diagnosis? Have they tried another DMD before giving you secondary progressive?

Can you ask for a second opinion with another MS neuro in or out of the VA?

The most recent study on interferon B is that it does not reduce your disability, just the number and severity of flares. I have read that most MS will eventually become secondary progressive in 10-15 years, so not only will most of us be there regardless but the interferon will not reduce the disability along the road to SP.

I agree that anger will not get results, particularly with the bureaucratic system for the VA. All we want is a chance to get better, or at least not get worse, and I understand that you feel that your chance was ruined by callousness and carelessness. There are a lot of doctors who are civilian employees of the VA with less than stellar reputations with the Medical Boards who can snare a lifelong job with the VA.

Many of us have had long delayed diagnoses because the symptoms are vague, come and go, weakness is difficult to quantify and many patients with pain complaints are dismissed as drug seeking.

I am a nurse, worked with a group of nurses who were worried about me and the symptoms I had, and none of us considered MS. One co-worker wanted me to go on Mystery Diagnosis. I was sent for an MRI of my brain as an afterthought by an ear doctor who felt unsure that he may have missed something, and at the time I thought it was overkill and unnecessary. I did not use the VA at that time.

Comment

Anger is justified.

With each passing year, the need to be your own health advocate keeps increasing. It's hard for the patient to be their own medical guru, but the internet helps a great deal. You must know where and what to take with a grain of salt, no easy feat for lay people either. Knowing the questions to ask Drs is a huge help. And ask for the info in terms you can understand, limit the distraction with medical terms. It takes much patience and with trials and errors, but many patients are well informed and can put the experts to shame.

Just my opinion, but the more informed you are about all MS drugs, the more safe your decision will be. It's very complex since each MS pt is different. I have PPMS but used DMDs for 8 years before I learned no MS drugs work. The side effect/benefit ratio is best decided by the informed pt. Even the majority of MS neurologists can not explain all the info you will want to make the best decisions you can. I evaluation many opinions on a subject, since there are always too many varied thoughts.

Anger does you no good in the end. In time, there is a peace with MS and a constant learning. Never give up hoping. Current research directions vary more than ever and I'm more hopeful due to that.

Comment

Working...
                    X