Active Duty Marine with MS???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Active Duty Marine with MS???

I was told I had MS 3 weeks ago and the thought of me not being able to serve is driving me insane. I am wondering if anyone has been able to stay AD and been diagnosed with MS. I have just hit my 10 year mark and thinking that I don't have at least ten more in me is sickening. Just hoping to hear some good news for once. Thanks

Still serving

I was diagnosed with MS about 3 years ago and am still AD. I went through the MEB process about 2 years ago and was Returned to Duty with assignment limitations.
    Whether you get to stay in the service or not depends on a multitude of factors--what kind of job you do, how bad your symptoms are, etc. I only had 7 years time in service, however I am a Physicians Assistant/Officer, therefore I don't have to be able to do alot of physical work, in an undermanned career field and I have been able to control my MS symptoms with Tysabri.
    I remember how scary the whole process is...I was enlisted in a different career field when I had my first symptom and would undoubtedly had been medically retired if I had been diagnosed correctly. Feel free to ask me any questions you have, I will be more than happy to help. I am in the AF, therefore not all processes are the same, however I do take care of several Marines and am somewhat familiar. Hope this gives you some hope.

Comment

OK, this post isn't about raising hackles or being contrary.

Its about reality.

You're three weeks into your diagnosis. You'll be going thru some phases, eventually we all wind up at Acceptance. It can be a tough ride if you make it that way.

Yeah, MS sucks. The only good news is that there wasn't anything we did or didn't do to get it. At least nothing anyone's figured out. No one can tell you what to expect. You may get a "slow burn" where you can hardly notice anything's wrong. Then again, you may not. MS is too complicated to make any predictions.

Yeah, many of us deal with it. It helps to have some guts when you face this thing. Just be smart about it.

I can quote you chapter and verse about what its like to try to hide the symtoms, I did it for years. I was already out of active service when it hit me, though. In case you're wondering, I was a submariner and the son of a Marine. Not much scares me.

MS did and it still does.

I just want you understand what we're dealling with. MS is a very serious and often life changing diagnosis. Crap can just hit you out of the blue and for no reason.

I guess what I'm asking is for you to ask yourself a very tough question. If you're in any specialty that's considered "front line", do the people who look to you as their leader deserve the best they can get?

So yeah, a gut check is a good thing as long as you're smart about it. You've got to make it another eight years before the service can't mess with you medically. Those may be some slim odds but you deserve to know about them. Just don't hide MS from yourself.

(BTW to AF PA; This isn't a call out in any way. I just feel that anyone who's still active needs to see both sides of the coin. They've earned at least that much.
      I hate why we're both here but I'm also REALLY glad you're here. )

Comment

I completely understand what you are saying and I know that at any moment I can be hit with an attack and be unable to complete a task. I don’t want to be a liability. I just was hoping to hear that someone was able to still serve even if they were moved to a desk job. I guess this question will be answered soon enough. I will just enjoy what time I know I have left and worry about the “What if’s” later. Thank you both for your input.

Comment

Hi and welcome,
          I'm not a vet although I was proud to care for many as a VA nurse. The reason I'm writing is to maybe give you some hope about your working future although I know nothing can actually compare to AD.

After my dx I freaked out knowing that I would likely need a more flexible career with good health benefits available on a part time capacity. In the eight years since my dx I have been blessed to have been able to finish graduate school and obtain work in a field that I absolutely love.

Although I have had some progression, mostly bladder/bowel and parasthesia I have not had any flares since starting Copaxone and have not missed one day of work or school r/t MS. I still workout several times a week, run 5k charity races and am blessed to be able to work between 50-60 hours a week.

Ask around, I'm definitely not one of our optimistic members and can't stand denial so I continue to live under the fear of what MS will do next but in the meantime I truly can't complain. I hope your experience is even better. Hang in there and thank you for serving!
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Shuck, I'm not a prophet of doom, I just don't believe in holding the info back. If you made through boot camp, I'm pretty sure you handle this.

IMO, you definatly want to get serious with your Doc. The "front line" meds work for many of us. We can complain about them and sometimes its justified but I figure its better to lose a step than to lose the day. Keep the big picture in view. There isn't a cure but the "front lines" can do a pretty good job in keeping the actual damage from going unchecked.

When you're ready, you should start to learn about what "your" MS is and how the meds work. There's no hurry on that and there's a pretty darned good group here to help you out if you want it.

Comment

Hey Shuck, disabled vet here , not from MS but i do have MS. Disable from a gun shot in the early 80's.. You can complete your 20 if you so desire, the way i look at even if your in a first line/combat position leadership position heck you can have a heart attack, stroke, or whatever ever for that matter, and i am sure your not thinking about that. every body will have there 2 cents to chime in on. I just wiegh all the options and then decide.. Heck my jungle instructer had 3/4 of his leg missing and he could still hump with the best... either way you go Semper Fi from this old grunt

Comment

For AF PA

AF PA, did the IPEB return you to duty or your local MEB?Curious because I am going to the FPEB at the end of the month to appeal the IPEB decision of unfit with permanent retirement. I was found fit for a fast track locally but AFPC sent it back wanting a full board. Great commanders letter, no limitations or restrictions, symptom free for three yrs.

Comment

Full MEB

In the Air Force MS doesn't even qualify for fast track status. I had a full MEB through AFPC. I have only helped two people fight their MEB's, both got what they wanted when they went to AFPC and pled their case. Make sure you take all of your med records and I have always supplied medical memorandum for record on behalf of each of my pts--see if you can get your PCM to do that, it seems to help. Good luck, let me know how the formal board comes out.

Comment

I believe you know what you are talking about but I have the paperwork showing the fast track request. This system is so messed up anyways! I have a medical update from my neurologists saying cleared for duty, no limitations, etc. so just to be clear, should I still get one from my current PCM. I don't have the same one anymore. I have all medical documentation and every piece of paperwork imaginable. When talking with the FPEB council, they seem to think they are not returning people to duty with MS regardless of where they are in treatment. I thought that was odd, or they are uniformed, seeing as though at least three of you where returned to duty last year. And I also have the board president quoted in AF TIMES late last year as saying its not a career ender. I know I'm rambling but I want to ensure I bring the best fight to the table. When you say you helped two people, was that for a return to duty and were the officer or enlisted? Surely the counsel would be able to see how many have been in the past. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Formal board

Your unit can submit for a fast track all they want--just an exercise in futility (not in the military)
                      1. I helped one E-3 that wanted to stay in, he was in a non deployable career field, he did not have MS, but had actually been hospitalized for his unfitting condition. The second person was an E-8 that was a bum--IMHO, that was returned to duty and fought for a medical retirement, he had 17 yrs TOS. I actually tried to make him finish his service, however after he met the formal board they reversed their decision and medically retired him.
                      2. I can not stress how much being retained is a crapshoot. I get very frustrated with the MEB process. I personally know a few people on the board and have to control myself on a regular basis. I think it would help you to have a letter from an active duty PCM if you can to give the board a clear idea of how well you are able to complete your duties in spite of the MS diagnosis. It may be difficult if you have a PCM that doesn't know you. I work in a specialized area, mainly AFSOC and get to know my troops very well and it is easy for me to know them and their duties. I have to tell you that I do agree with other's that have posted, I self-identified my MS because I knew I would be a danger to others if I was deployed and did not want have that on my conscious.
                      3. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Wish I had an idea what I was walking into with the FPEB but as you have said it is a crap shot. Seems like it depends on what mood they're in that day. I'll just hope for the best. I leave for the FPEB next week so I wouldn't even have the opportunity to get an appointment. Oh well, I'll let you know how it turns out. Again, thanks for your help!

Comment

No luck

AF PA,
                          FPEB still said perm. Ret. even though per regulations I am fit for duty. Not compatible with military service? Would love an explanation of why there are currently 122 active duty AF members retained with MS per FOIA. Not WWQ? Contradicts assignment limitation code and seeing as those of you'll that have been retained are on a C-2. They did not even address why I was unfit but merely that it is MS and unpredictable. Direct violation of Title 10 Ch. 61 which states they are required to do so. Anyways, on to the SAFPC, maybe they can explain why the regs that govern what makes a member fit or unfit isn't being implemented. Or better yet an explanation to my congressman. Thanks for your insight thus far.

Comment

Sorry about the results

Peanut,

I can not tell you how bad I do feel that you were not able to convince the board to allow you to continue your military service. I do not understand what the board bases their decisions on and it is frustrating to see someone that clearly wants to continue their commitment and is able to continue, not be allowed. It is exceedingly frustrated when you see the new young troops that feel they can't run or do push ups because "their back hurts" or "my knee hurts."

I wish I could have offered you better advice. I know that I would be depressed if I was not able to continue, I am praying for you that you will find an outside job that is at least somewhat as fulfilling as being in the service.

Good luck with your congressman. Let me know if it was helpful at all. Did they at least retire you with good disability? If they don't give you at least 75% I would raise hell--I have had pt's with small, prior to service, medical issues get 80%!!

Let me know how things go.

Comment

AF PA,

Since I'm so disabled, (sarcasm), I have a 30% rating. That is the MS minimum. I have no other unfitting conditions. My command feels the same way. If I'm so "unfit" why such a low rating for MS. Not to down play sleep apnea, but that has a minimum of 50%! IBS also has a 30%! None of it makes sense. I am appealing to SAFPC and my package should make it there either right before the holidays or right after. That can take anywhere from another 2-6 months. I do have a job lined up if all else fails. I'm prepared either way. I'm just so frustrated with the complete disregard of the regs and law. That's where the congressman comes in.

I see people everyday that live for the profile system. It makes me sick. Hopefully I will eventually get the answers I'm looking for. I'll keep you posted on the progress. Thanks for your prayers and support.

Comment

Working...
                              X