Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA Sleep study?

Got a call today from VA, they scheduled a DR apt in prep
    for a sleep study, not for the actual study (on of VA latest hooked on topics).

It was ordered by my MS doc at the VA last spring.

Anyone know what to expect?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

That's a loaded a question.
    What are they looking for?
    Some sleep studies can be done at home. Some have be observed in a clinic enviroment. You may have to wear some hardware, you may not and just keep a journal.

It all comes down to why they want the study done.

Comment

Generally, it requires two nights - one to observe and record the data - heart monitor, oxygen levels, number of times you might awake due to decreased respiratory rate.

Then, you spend another night with the CPAP apparatus to see if it is of benefit. CPAP is not easy to tolerate, some people can but a lot of people just stop using the equipment or remove it during the night without realizing what they are doing.

Good luck to you - hope you get a better night's sleep and can tolerate the CPAP. The respiratory arrests that occur are very damaging to your heart and other organs.

Comment

I had my sleep clinic apt today.

The doc decided I need to have the study done in Detroit (70+m) instead of the closer (40m) Ann Arbor VA. I asked it it could be done closer, but she said they can do closer monitoring during the study etc and my MS/mobility issues/concerns were also a factor.

I had intended to insist it be done closer than Detroit or skip it but she insisted I need to have it done, so I caved. She was nice and seemed to care & sounded logical/reasoned so that made it harder to decline.

Maybe its a good thing,
        I don't know. I already pop pills, stick needles into my body multiple items a day (insulin and Copaxone) stick a tube up me tube to drain my bladder, wear steel and leather AFOs, special shoes use mobility aids.....blah blah blah, Am I a machine or becoming one?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

VA called

I got a call today from the VA in Detroit...

Sleep lab is scheduled for mid Jan, worst time of year. Based on what I was told in Ann Arbor I was expecting it to be mid Nov.... par for the VA. At least its nothing urgent or important.

Maybe I will luck out on the weather and if its bad I will just cancel. It will be nearly a year anyway so whats a few more months?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Hi Gomer,

Can you call them back and ask them to let you know if someone cancels so you can move up into their spot?

If they are scheduling so far in advance, there are probably many cancellations for a myriad of reasons. They did that for me for the eye clinic, no appointments available for quite some time so they offered to call me if there was a cancellation. I had Rosacea that went into my eyes, and have to be on doxycyline for life for it. I appreciated the extra challenge.

Compared to Johns Hopkins, the VA moves at lightening speed.

Comment

Thanks GA........

At least its nothing important or urgent plus I am in no rush anyway. Just Jan is a bad weather time of year. Even after that it will take (or so I am told) a couple months for the results to get get posted, then more months for any follow-up if needed, (maybe not). I hate all the waiting and waiting...and wondering.

Next week I go in for my urinary stricture surgery, now that is more important due to kidney function issue. Something the VA (neither urology or nephrology) did not want to even investigate or bother with, unless (or until) my kidneys landed in end stage failure.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I think I am simply going to cancel the VA sleep study.

I found simple cheap oxymeter online for far less than VA specialty clinic do-pays. If the Det VA sleep clinic as as good as urology or kidney clinics at AA VA, it would be a waste of time, money & very unwelcome added frustration.

Gmer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

IMO, don't cancel anything with the VA.
                  Its their perfect excuse to cut you loose.

Instead, go for a reshedual because there would be NO possible way you could get there on that date.

You said app'ts are drawn out, so see if they come back with an app't in a better month. You might also try to reshedual one week or so prior to your current app't. Just let them think they found the solution.

Comment

Good Idea Bob...

I already emailed the AA sleep clinic, thanking them for the study referral and noting the Det apt will likely be a problem due to finances. I did the same thing to my VA MS doc. Every thing I said in my emails was 100% true, so no problem there. Specialty clinic co-pays add up and not fun with my limited income.

I can ask, later, to reschedule/delay for another few months when the apt gets close. Then they might opt for to just cancel my sleep study.

Gmer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Oh my, today is Saturday and I got a call on my answering machine about a sleep study scheduled for me on Nov. 5th, and I did not even know one was ordered.

Why all the emphasis on sleep studies? I had been going to pulmonary because of poor pulmonary function tests, but I thought they determined the reason for shortness of breath is because it takes me so much more energy to walk.

BTW, I had a pain management appointment cancelled by their clinic because they were over scheduled and the doctor then had a meeting come up, so it was changed. When I checked my appointments on myhealthevet, it was listed as cancelled by me. I mentioned it to the doc and she said that should not be listed as such because it looks like I was doing the canceling. If they are keeping track of such things, then it will look bad for me and good for them.

Gomer, I wish you lived close enough to use our VA. I initially refused nephrology because I wanted to go to Johns Hopkins mainly to have someone see the connection between MS, ENT, Infectious Disease and kidney failure. That fell through so I will eventually get referred to Nephrology and their level of detail is unknown. But I do know that neurology, pulmonary, dermatology and pain management have been wonderful and accomplished much more than most of my private physicians. I don't have a co-pay for the VA and I am very surprised at the professional attention. I have only used the VA since June, 2010 when I lost my job, but have had more and better treatment than I have from my private doctors I paid dearly to see.

Comment

GA "Why all the emphasis on sleep studies?"

Short/simple most likely MONEY! (sometimes politics)

It's not always about what the VET needs, its often about this study or that study etc. Great way to collect data! I just wish they would put vet's needs first, then studies/data collection down the priority list. Never happen?

Gmer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Working...
                        X