VA actually watching out for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VA actually watching out for us

I got a call the other day from a nurse for my GP clinic stating she needs to set up an appointment for me with GP, I told her I just had 6 month check up (if you can call it that) she said yes but you GP is no longer with the VA and they are going thru his patients records and setting up appointment for those that need to be seen due to abnormal lab results, lack of testing etc, she said there were some things not within normal range on my blood work done the day of my check up and they need me to come in and have blood work redone and then see the dr. She said they also noticed that I was not being followed for cancer followup and he needs to get that referral done also. Sounds to me somebody complained and they got rid of him, which is no loss in my opinion. just nice to know they are actually checking things.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Way 2 go scooter....

I had great cancer follow-up at the VA back in the late 80s up here (not far from hell)

The previous local VA clinic docs were worse than worthless. We have had a great one for a couple years now. Some of the VAMC (35_miles) clinic docs are good (MS for one) and some are well..... a total waste of time, and some fall somewhere in between.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Even better I got a copy of a letter that my VA nuero sent to the VA saying upon my last exam in May he has determined that I have lost most use of my right side also now and is requesting the VA formally review my case and recommended additional compensation for me based on his observations, I called PVA rep and he said he got the ltr also and has submitted an updated claim for me already.

I have my driving test tomorrow for vehicle grant with hand controls.

Comment

Sounds GREAT scooter!

Right side is a bad side for most people, being R-handed. MY left is my worse side, but still quite functional. I was real bad 5 years ago, bad flare and took a year to recover much.

Good luck on your driving test!

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I am niether left or right handed, depends on what I am doing, I write and eat left handed do most other things right handed and when I could still bowl I carried 2 balls one R and one L handed.My left side is now my worst side.

Finished and passed the hand control training, he said normally takes two or more sessions but I did good enough he had me drive around for an extra 15-20 minutes and signed off. It was actually easier to get used to than I thought it would be.

Heading out to Myrtle beach for a week on sunday, have to go to my moms house and take care of some things for her and sneak in a golf game or maybe 2 if the list isn't too long.

Comment

Thankful that the VA up here in WA state stays on top of things, Scooter i always carry two Balls one on left and one on right no matter were i go lol, ok a man joke haha

Comment

Ya GOT ME! for a split second anyway...

I first thought you were talking about those VA squeeze balls, one in each hand of course.

Thanx 4 LOL

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by lovejoy View Post
                dx 6Thankful that the VA up here in WA state stays on top of things, Scooter i always carry two Balls one on left and one on right no matter were i go lol, ok a man joke haha
                The Houston VA is lacking in the MS support. Trying to get them onboard with MSCoE West from WA state since Nov 2011. No joy. You are lucky Lovejoy.

Scope Dope
                MS symptoms since 1996/DX since 2010

Comment

I always try to keep things light, i am getting a three day course of IVSM and the nurse points to the bag with my name on it and "is this you?" said NO i am me and that bag is my drugs... lol she didnt understand it at first, o well

Comment

My VA is NOT looking out for me. My local clinic VA GP is trying to do her best, but the system is playing games as usual. She put in a referral for me to be seen in renal clinic and urology due to continued drops in kidney function.

Renal clinic is doing little to nothing, so far, but testing to see what my numbers are, nothing to find our for sure WHY my kidneys are failing. They simply play the assUme game., in my case diabetes and hypertension. Neither of these issues have been treated very well at all by the VA. For that reason I get private care for these issues, and its been far better care than the VA ever did or would.

I was sent to urology for suspected neurogenic bladder. What did they do? NOTHING, not a single test of any kind, not even pulse, BP or temp, never even got into an exam room. The urology doc simply looked at my records and said neurogenic bladder and its to be expected due to age, diabetes and MS. A total wast of time and gas, not to mention a $50 bill (not peanuts on my limited income) for being seen in a specialty clinic.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Originally posted by gomer View Post
                      I was sent to urology for suspected neurogenic bladder. What did they do? NOTHING, not a single test of any kind, not even pulse, BP or temp, never even got into an exam room. The urology doc simply looked at my records and said neurogenic bladder and its to be expected due to age, diabetes and MS. A total wast of time and gas, not to mention a $50 bill (not peanuts on my limited income) for being seen in a specialty clinic.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot
                      Well at least you got an appointment with Urology! My PC put in for me to an appointment with Urology over 3 months ago and still no appointment. Of course it took me almost 2 years to get my PC to even put in a referal so I guess I am making some progress.

Dennis
                      Dennis

The soul of a song will lift your spirits.

Comment

Hi Sailor from 10.A.C............

My local VA GP is sending me back again to both renal and urology, due to dropping kidney function labs. I already know not to expect much from renal clinic, and nothing from urology clinic. (probably even get YELLed at for coming back & bothering them, not my idea).

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Veterans Health Benefits Handbook

I got one in the mail today.
                          Its a pretty comprehensive listing of programs based on the individual Vet's needs and status. All written in Federalize, naturally.

Anyone else get one? Its actually pretty informative.

Comment

Nope!.. not yet anyway.

Did get one of those little tear-open appointment notices.
                            Already knew about them from checking the VA unhealthy web site. While IMO somewhat lacking functionality, they are at least heading that direction, just rather slowly.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Got mine about a month ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X