va backlog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

va backlog

I called my po ( american legion) last week to ask them why I have not received any letters from the va since dec. 2011. I was getting a letter every 2 months stating how they are in backlog and appologies for any delays. The American Legion rep told me they called the va in Chicago and they said for me to just basically leave it alone because this could take years for my claim to move from review of claim. Well it has been over a year since I filed my claim and I am begining to believe the va is railroading me because I tried to claim a hardship. My po told me the va said the only way to be concidered would be to let your house go into foreclosure. I make sure my house payment is made and I let other things go unpaid. I guess my priorities r wrong??? according to the american legion and the va office. I am just so frustrated with this whole process. Any words of wisdom I could sure us it.

correct word spelling

I meant power of attorney i dont know where i got po.... that sounds like a parole officer and I have never been in trouble in my life, kind of funny though. I make these kind of mistakes all the time anymore. Good for a laugh on my part....

Comment

Have you set yourself up for access to Ebenefits, you can keep an eye on your claim there also, not that it moves any faster that way.

What did you mean by putting in for hardship, never heard that one.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

backlog

scooter

I track my claim on ebenifits. I had mentioned to my vso about getting behind on some of my bill do to being on long term disability & losing 40% of my wages, she told me to file for a hardship and request my claim to be expidited. Well now I think that just slowed down my claim. I just know this is what she told me to do. I dont really know if this is really something or not. I think they tell me things just to shut me up and leave them alone. I dont really bother them very often but when I have a question I believe they should at least return my phone calls. I am seriously thinking about changing my pa to the PVa dont know if that would help but I feel shut out by my legion.

Thanks scooter for the response.

Comment

Are you on SSDI ? Are you getting your medical care thru the VA? You will hear different stories about each of the service organizations out there, I had good luck with PVA, Gomer had just the opposite experience, its more the people they have rather than the org itself.

I currently have paperwork in for a higher % and other things and they have both been sitting in preperation for decision since the first of the year. both moved to that stage within 2 months of submittal.

Comment

what do you mean by hardship? i have never heard that term used in the VA lingo before, not saying i know it all, but you can always call your congressman , but the bottom line is they tell you upfront this can take upto a year. are you a service connected disabled vet? i know there times that "we" think that they should expidite our stuff like as of yesterday, but there are others who are thinking the same thing...there are also organization who help with vets but they do charge like the ssdi law dogs upto 25% but a little research and you can do the same and save the money.... hope things go good for you

Comment

I think you need to understand some things when it comes to dealling with the benefits (cash) side of the VA.
              Losing 40% of your income isn't seen as a hardship, they see it more as "welcome to the club, buddy".
              To the benefits crew, living on the street in winter is a hardship. Anything else is "not so much". BTW, if someone is saying you should go into foreclosure on purpose I would start looking for new counsel.
              Going into foreclosure gets you nothing but headaches and long-term debts. Its a system we aren't supposed to win at and I would try to avoid it at all costs.

Try to understand that when it comes to the benefits side of the VA, there is a stereotype that we're fighting. That stereotype is the guy who's already getting three pensions plus retirement and state and federal aid while working a 40 hour week. That guy knows how to play the system and he's ruined a lot of things for us.

That's why not being able to make your payments on your second car is not a hardship. Heck, not being able to make your payments on your ONE car is not a hardship, its just bad planning on your part.

Try to think of the benefits side of the VA as your last safety net. It was never designed to be a happy experience.

Comment

actaully losing 40% of ones income can be a hardship, its all about how you have your net worth distributed, if one is making say 1500 amonth lossing 40% percent income puts that person below poverty level even worse than what they are....

my advice when it comes to the VA is dont listen to anyone but those who have complete knowlege, article 38 is the VA guidlines that book is about 3 inches thick, basically for every reason why you cant have it also has exceptions why you can have, cant stress enough dont listen to sooth sayers heck dont even listen or beleave what i wrote look and research for yourself....

It also pays to know people who work for the system, case in point i know a combat injured vet who's wounds date back to VietNam who was got close to 300,000 dollars back pay..... alot of people are bitter about the VA, i think its because they feel guilty cause they know they shouldnt be getting benifets when they do, or they think they should get it, either way you go i say go for all its worth and dont listen to negative people and stories of how long things took to get.....

been on the VA service connected comp. since 86 recently applied for increase and it took all but 4 months and was increased with 4 months back pay, could also be because mine is "combat" related who knows cause of that i do hold class 1 priority...
                **post edited by Moderator to break into paragraphs for easier reading! many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print**

Comment

Maybe some things have changed for the better?

Back in the early 80s, we were homeless with 3 little ones. At least I got free medical care and insulin. Never told there was or might be more help available, even tho at the time they knew we were living out of a car.

Same thing in the mid 80s, SSDI pending and no place of our own. (I did get SSDI, 1985). I tried telling the VA something "else" was wrong (other than diabetes) but they just sent me to their shrinks.

The shrinks put in my record I was not nuts or even depressed, just "adamant" something else was wrong. None of the GM docs nor other docs would follow up. I was given B12 to help with the severe fatigue and suggested I use a cane.

Too bad I can not go back to the mid 80s on my claim.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

I just wanted to say Lovejoy, you understand that hardships come in different shapes and sizes and losing a large portion of ones salary does constatute a hardship to some(me). Now granite I am not homeless (yet) but I still have a family of 3 to feed and support. I have thought about one of the postings to my va backlog for several days and how bad it made me feel (suggesting I needed help paying on my second car) which is not the case... I know there are people out there worse off than me but i thought this was a site to vent ones frustrations and gain insite with the system. I am not looking for anyone's sympathy just an ear to hear my issues, but if that offends anyone I appologies. As for the comment about letting my house go into foreclosure just to get help well, that is not what I meant. I was just stating, that was what the va conciders a hardship, having water and electric shut off due to lack of funds is not.

Once again I would like to thank Lovejoy and people on here that truly understand problems are not all alike and that belittleing other peoples problems and making them feel small is not condusive of a group that is trying to help fellow veterans. Thank You..

Comment

I assume you are speaking of Bob's comments and think you may be misunderstanding his comments, the way I read them is he is stating it from a VA's point of view , not saying those things as his point of view. I had to read it 2 or 3 times at first myself.

Correct me if I am wrong Bob.

Comment

Ummm, what I wrote is pretty much what I wrote.

If you need background, I got to find out just how nice these folks are when I had to take a three week temp job while my case was pending and I had no idea how it would turn out. This was something like 4 or 5 months before my pension kicked in.
                        The temp job allowed me to pay my rent and I told my VSO at the time before I did it.
                        I got hammered by Benefits roughly 8 months after my pension started. Originally, their idea was to drop me entirely plus I'd have to pay back everything they ever sent me. In the meantime, they cut my pension back by something like 40% while my appeal was pending.
                        All of this because I was honest.

Nice guys.

I could pat you on the back, but that really doesn't help you. I could tell you what I went thru, maybe that would be more handy.

Comment

i know the pension part of the VA is different from the service connected disabilty even at 100% service connected the VA says i canstill work, IMHO for what its worth i think people get pissed when a vet is getting morethan lets say pension vet gets, its like one time i read in the teachers thread some one was crying cause they had to live on a teachers pension cause they dont get ssi, well i did research the average teachers pension is a little over three grand. i am not complaining about cause i do ok, although i did alot better when i worked. each case is different , like somebody told me if they say its available go for it, and i would look into all the auotmatics , tinnitus is 10% if you served in an area with loud noise, hearing loss is another although the VA guidline is a little tougher. Michael did you serve during any war time period, cause there is more availabe for those of us who served in those time periods, i believe the VA website has though time periods. Again good luck and go for it!!! and dont let nay sayers get to you

Comment

Time in service

Lovejoy,

I was in during desert storm (87-92). I was a 13B artillery so I was exposed to a high levels of noise. I went through my life also not knowing there was any help out there for me. It is my own fault for not making myself aware of my earned benefits. I believed that all my problems were just part of serving my country and its hard to come out completely unaffected by something or another. My motto was always to drive on with working and providing for my family. Sorry it took me so long to answer your questions.

Thanks

Comment

Michael, there are alot of programs for gulf war vets call 1 800 827 1000, and tell them you want to see a doc, if you have ringing in the ear(tinnitus) that automatic 10 % hearing loss is a different % also there is gulf war syndrome, ptsd, and a few other things, i say apply for them all if feel that you are entitled, i did the same for the longest time just pushed thru things to provide and not asking for help, believe me my brother anyone who has seen combat deserves every cent they are entitled to, get your claim started by the end of the month so when it gets approved you will backpay to the month your claim was started. JUST AS SIDE NOTE IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT OTHERS SAY OR THINK, GO FOR ALL YOU HAVE ENTITLED TO

Comment

Working...
                              X