You don't look like a vet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't look like a vet

I have had a few laughs at these types of comments this week.

I have worried that my "not your traditional VA patient" appearance would prevent doctors from taking me seriously. The opposite has happened - I am a curiosity to them.

It started with the nurse. She tells me how nice I smell. I told her that I wore deodorant in honor of my appointment. She comes back with you smell better than some of my patients and you aren't as scruffily. I then told her I also shaved off my beard because it was getting itchy.

Got in with the neuro and he was so flustered he refereed to me as a fertile female. They gave me sticker after the appointment for being their favorite patient of the day.

Doctor came into the infusion room because he could not imagine I was a vet - "Vets are old guys and women vets are usually rough looking"

It is surprising that in this day and age that is what comes to a persons mind. My VA is probably 90% males over the age of 65. The remaining 10% is probably 8% male.

It goes to reason that people don't see as many female vets so they just assume we don't exist. Does this put me the same category as the tooth fairy?

I'm one of the three guys in Iowa with a pony tail.

There are stereotypes of Vets we all have to deal with but the faces and attitudes are starting to change.

Comment

Most of the guys at my VA have long hair,beards and wear Harley Davidson gear, and many are well over wieght, I am 150 lbs with a very short haircut so I don't fit in there very well my self. We have a number of women there also and most look like they will kick you butt if you look at them wrong!!
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Scooter,
        Unfortunately most of the veterans at my local VA are also overweight. Perhaps the VA could invest in providing a weight loss program and prevent some worsening health conditions.

I have only seen one other woman at the VA and I am pretty sure she would not hesitate to punch someone. One punch from her and you would be on the floor - she looked tough. I admit I kept my distance.

Love your signature quote made me smile this morning

Comment

Every single time I have gone to the VA, they ask me where my husband is at. And then there is always an argument over the fact I don't look old enough to have retired at the rank I am, not to mention make that rank as a woman.

And of course, there are always the comments, "Geez...I wish we had women that look like you when I was in Service."

They would be very surprised that this 5' 4", 115 lb gal with long hair, pretty nails, and nice clothes could clock them with one single punch in spite of MS! An Orderly would have to pick them up off the floor. Looks can be deceiving...especially at the VA.

But things are changing...

Katie

Comment

what pisses me off at the VA is that i cant pack my hip iron in so i have to leave it locked up in my truck

Comment

What's even worse is when you park in a handicapped space and some knuckledragger says "You don't look disabled."

I usually reply that my psychiatrist says I am, want to argue about it?

Comment

I have run into many older people who were unaware that the VA even treated women.

Comment

I'm a lucky one

I'm a typical 5'4" woman but my experience at the Topeka VA has been different than some of yours. I have been approached on no less than three occassions by different men from different wars who have told me thank you for my service. I was so touched because these men were all old enough to be my grandfather and I should have been the one speaking up first and recognizing their service; what a clod I am!

Comment

Working...
                  X