Very Odd Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Odd Question?

First..I do realize that one has to APPLY for service connection, and I hope to do that shortly.

Back about 1985,
    when I first started going to the VAMC in Ann Arbor, I was put thru what seemed like it could have been a P&C medical exam. I had previously used the VA clinic in Orlando, so I was not new to the VA system. Back then they noticed my walking issues and chalked them up to my diabetes.

I had been formally Dx'd with diabetes
    for only 5 years or so and i had my diabetes in reasonable control, pretty good actually for the time frame. (we did not have the modern insulins etc we do now.)

Makes me wonder WHY
    , with my good control they did not check further into WHY I had neuro/walking issues back then?

(would be a pipe dream if they were to back date me being SC for MS based on that old but documented, but limited testing...)

At the time we had to go on welfare and SSDI was pending. Makes me also wonder WHY no one at the VA even mentioned possible NSC pension (like I think bob gets) or did such even exist back then?

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Hi Gomer-

The only thing I can think of is that to qualify for a NSC pension for those under 65, they must be permanently and totally disabled.

Maybe the VA did not consider you totally and permanently disabled yet. ??????

I don't know, hopefully Bob has a better answer for you.

Katie

Comment

For times back then were weird (as if they were not weird other times???)...

I did NOT consider myself totally and perm disabled, but I was unemployable in everyone else's view, even vocational rehab in Fla. One problem at the time was, my cancer history. I was told I had a 10% chance of surviving 12 months in Feb '82 and was getting cancer follow-up at the VA. I have out lived my C-prognosis now by 31 years and no recurrence, although I did have another surgery in 91 (same VA) for suspicious lesion (that needed surgery anyway)/ poss. recurrence, BENIGN Hip Hip Hooray!

Funny..yet not so funny, is at my renal clinic apt last week she brought up the cancer history yet again. I simply confirmed the Hx and that was it. I still can't ESCAPE it, get reminded of it, even after being a ghost for over 30 years.

Any whoo thanks Katie.... my mind keep grinding, thinking etc.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

With the NSC pension, I think the idea is that there's no where else to go.
        I lost my BC/BS when I got downsized and wasn't getting much traction on the job searches so I took care of a parent for something like 9 years. That's also how I lost eligibillity for SSI/SSDI.

I don't recommend trying to set yourself up for this. I was in a situation several times where it looked like I would be moving into an ally.

Comment

Unemployability

Bob-

Gomer, got my mind wandering, and I was under the impression you could file for "unemployability" as Service-Connected. Do you know if this is true?

Katie

Comment

My basic understanding of SC is that its untouchable income since the DOD is basically saying "that shouldn't have happened and we're liable".
            To me, you need to prove that whatever condition you filed for happened while you were active. That's the crux, anyway, as I see it. In theory, you could file for SC if you're also still a marathon runner in your spare time.
            Practically, however, I think you have to prove disability as a direct result.

Comment

Katie- yes you can file for unemployability under SC, PVA is working on it for me among other things. You can still work while you rcv it. Bob you are correct you must show disability but can still run marathons or in my case play golf.
              Had C & P exam today for hearing and the tech that did it said he would say 60 % loss from the results, plus I have tinitus also, I know the tinitus is 10% dis not sure what they figure for partial loss of hearing. They were waiting for this test to be completed according to PVA rep to finalize my claim that is in now for other items also.
              Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Thanks Bob and Scooter--

I think I am having cog fog, or not understanding. I know you can apply for unemployability for SC.

The question is can you apply for unemployability if it is a NSC situation.

My understanding was unemployability, which brings you to 100%, is for SC only. I have been trying to find the answer through all my resources, with no luck. I think this is the question Gomer is asking, and I would sort of like to know for future use and was hoping one of you might know.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

If you're getting paid for any kind of work, you ain't getting an NSC pension.
                  That rule is pretty strict as I understand it and I got hammered by the benefits dept. for working the census for three weeks (this was about 3 months before my pension started and I got diagnosed).
                  I think the only other benefits you're allowed to collect on an NSC are food stamps (no money, just the food) and maybe heating assistance (outside of VA services).

Comment

From what I see you have to be SC to get unemployability take a look at this web site

http://www.veteransdisabilitylawyersite.com/va_iu.html

Comment

Here is a actual VA page on it,and it also seemsthat you must be service connected.

http://www.vba.va.gov/VBA/benefits/f...viceconnected/...

Comment

Thanks Guys--

I thought unemployability was related only to SC status. Thanks for the clarification and website.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

unemployability is for service connected only, and you need to be at least 60 percent with a rating of 40 percent in at least one catagory i believe, thats what i have read in article 38 which governs the disability ratings, i could be wrong though the book is about 1000 pages

Comment

The 60 % is what it says but PVA rep said he has seen quite a few get it with 40 or 50 % he did say 40% is absolute min even to apply.

Comment

I would ask your D.A.V. servic officer if you have one. and ask about V.A. pension its base off of income and it has to be non-service connected disability. I was going to do it but my wife make to much money but maybe when she retires.

Comment

Working...
                              X