New approach tactic to SCion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New approach tactic to SCion.

I decided to try an new and different approach on the issue of Service Connection efforts.

Problem: While on active duty I never was able to get PROPER eye care and had to go off-base to get my PRISMS updated. I was a non-VA doc back in 2009 that opened the MS issue regarding my diplopia (being a neuro-muscular issue) in 2009 that led to my getting tested and formal MS dx. I have dug up what medical info I could find, even though a bit limited. So I plan to write a basic Hx/Sx time-line that relates to my documentation. I HOPE this will overcome the note in my file by one doc and EXPLAIN WHY its relevant.

-1- MY recruit med form showing I ahd developed diplopia about 1 year prior.

-2- MY med form showing I did have PRISMS Rx in my glasses at that time (backing up #1 above).

-3 Med doc showing I was sent for an eye exam at my first duty station (Pensacola Fla hot weather)

-4- Copy of Glasses Rx showing they DID NOT include PRISMS (my diplopia overlooked/ignored)

-4a not documentation but I went to Mobile Al and got new glasses, (I plan to note it but have NO documentation)

-5- While in A-School (Jax Fla) had yet another Navy eye exam and again my diplopia was ignored and glasses Rx missing needed PRISMS.

-6- After A-School I was stationed in Sanford Fla. This time did not even bother with Navy eye docs and I went to an eye doc in nearby Winter Park. I had to get much stronger PRISMS that spring. I could not get any formal documentation; However I got teased about my new very thick PRISM glasses and have a signed letter from a fellow mate, which I gave a copy to PVA and seems to have been IGNORED so far. (he included contact info and they can easily call him if needed)

-7- No documentation again but my next duty station was Albany Ga (Sanford was closed and we were moved there to a newly closed air force B52 base). I got new prism glasses again (before our Med cruse) at at a eye doc in town.

I also had other vision issues that came and went during my tour of active duty. One especially while at Pensacola where I had to have a fellow shopmate help me for a few days. I nearly rot ran over one evening by a car I did not see when crossing the street going to the USO. I had taken the bus to the USO in town because I could not see well enough to drive (especially a problem as I had a motor cycle at the time), even tho I could see a bit better in the evening than bright daylight. The problem lasted for several days after the Pensacola eye exam. I tried to locate especially the guy that helped me get around on base for a couple days, no luck.

Yet another Med Doc problem is my release from active duty physical was nothing more than a copy of my Great lakes recruit physical with my recruit status line out and current rank hand written in.

I had a problem with my back once, no known reason, and a knee problem. Neither one may or may not be MS related, so not sure whether to bother including them.

While the JFK (aircraft carrier) was cruising off the east coast before heading for the Med I was selected by a CWO for a magazine interview (assume I would become a lifer). When asked if I was going to ship-over, I relied NO, that I had 314 days left and was NOT. The CWO asked me for 3 reasons. I told him MY number one reason was the poor medical care I had relieved. (#2 was a worthless legal office who I ended up advising about how to handle my belongings in storage at a company that closed, and #3 was food at land bases) The CWO never gave up trying to get me to ship over and I REFUSED to go up for E-6, fearing I would make it and be tempted. That is how strongly I felt about it, despite pulling a lot of choice duty.

What do YOU think?

Gomer

Gomer--

I would love to help you. I am fresh out of ideas. Which is really rare mind you.

I wish I lived near you, because I would come and pick you up and haul your pa-toot over to the VA and we would chat with some VSOs. Yeah....I sure would. I am little, but still tough...no cops would dare kick us out!

Your case is complicated. Please give the VSOs another chance. One of them has to be smart enough to figure it out.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

THANX katie........

I am going to TRY and lay it out as plain and SIMPLE as I can, while still making the important points. IN other words try and make it as ID-10-T proof I can........HaHa.

I am sort of, working with a PVA rep in Detroit(he called me, after the last fiasco) via phone & mail. The PVA rep at the local (35miles away) VAMC is worthless.

The local PA rep at the VA is just as bad. The one time I sought her help, she greeted me with a what can I not do for you, and noted she had already had several other vets she "could not help" that morning. Her attitude alone was a serious turn-off & discouraging.

Gomer

Comment

Unbelieveable the difference in the reps, I just got some paperwork from the VA last week , sent my PVA rep an email and asked if I needed to sign them and scan and email them to him, he said he got the same paperwork 2 days earlier and already submitted them on my POA. I have not done a thing so far except sign the Vehicle grant paperwork and the original POA, he has done everything including contacting the Nuero for statements and referrals.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Scooter... agree!

When I first met the PVA lady (oxymoron term), she went on and on how she worked closely with Dr Segal (MS doc) blah blah. Plus I had heard so much great stuff about PVA. That was one reason I ahd high hopes, despite my initial perception, which can be wrong at times.

She gave me several tings to do, fully normal. I dug up what I had and got the letter from a friend, I still had contact with, stationed with most of my navy years. After doing my part, she did NOTHING! I had already explained to the problems I had getting medical care in the Navy.

I got the impression, right or wrong, she liked playing GOD with her power as a PVA rep. She also seems more tempermental than anyone I ever ran across at the VA before. I try and make allowances, I mean everyone has good days and bad days, it happens.

Except when I was homeless in Orlando, dealing with insulin dependent diabetes and cancer Dx, (great care back then for the most part) its been a hit or miss, more miss than hit.

Not much diff than while on active duty. I have always had to FIGHT to get proper care, nuttin new there. I sure wish I knew more and was a better advocate for my own care and complete accurate med records while in. I was young, ignorant and wanted as little to do with doctoring as I could. Like when I had pancreatitis, I was more than happy to do as the doc said, "forget it ever happened", and I did just that. Heck I had to fight to get into the Navy due to medical Hx,and failing an employment physical.

Scooter, just writing this post reminded me I should look that up as well, I am sure its on my enlistment physical.

Gomer sez THANX Scooter for the memory jog....

Comment

Well tomorrow is VA-MS-SC day...

I almost have things assembled...I made copies of important documents and highlited my hand notes in yellow. I have a draft (actually several rev +) of my outline of the issues, stated in date sequence.

I have a full plate tomorrow, need a refill on my Copaxone, try to pass his memory test, funny thing is I feel it important to TRY and remember all 3, but even if I do (takes xtra tricks) it distracts me from other things, and it does me no real good, I still forget where it put (*&)$% down just 2 minutes ago and takes me 5-20 minutes to find it, that is 'IF' I find it.

I not only have my MS clinic apt but also a renal clinic apt as well, same place, close together, on after the other.

Gotta get up extra early, drive 1 hr and find a parking spot. HC spots go quick, but I at least have my scooter, need that anyway to navigate the huge VAMC. I am taking a needed break from working on my MESS.

Gomer Sir Falls~A~Lot

Comment

Working...
            X