MS and Parkinsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Parkinsons

I was diagnosed with MS in 2009. Yesterday, my VA neurologist told me I also have Parkinsons and that it is presumptively caused by Agent Orange because I am a Viet Nam Vet.
    Anybody else carry this dual diagnosis? Just want to know what to expect from the combination of these two diseases

I only have MS but brought this subject up with my nuero as my dad and one other relative had parkinsons, he told me that many symptoms are the same or very similar, but he has not seen a patient with both. Are they going to go back thru to verify both dx? There are some drugs used to treat both also.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Currently, there are no tests which can verify Parkinson. My symptoms are a fine tremor in my jaw and left hand which only occurs when the affected areas are at rest. This is, according to the neuro, a telltale symptom of Parkinson.

Right now, the symptoms are mild enough that I don't want to take any meds as they can have some nasty side effects.

Oh well, my ex wife always calls me a "one of a kind"?????

Comment

I get tremers in my right hand fairly often especially when I use my computer mouse or writing and I have been using my arm alot or and when I am somewhat fatiqued. I have seen others on here also state that they have tremers. I was told the tremers are a sx of MS.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It sounds like you have intention tremors which occur when you are doing something with the affected area. What I have are resting tremors. These are tremors which occur when the area is not in use.
          For instance, my tremors are only noticeable when my arm and hand are hanging at my side.

Comment

Bob, my dad has advanced Parkinson's, he was Dx in '87 but had it for years. Worked at GE with solvents, lol.

The joys of chemistry, Bob.

The difference between Parkinson's and MS is that Parkinson's is a lack of dopamine in the brain. My dad's meds supplement the missing dopamine, but his other meds are similar to mine like nerve pain meds.

I am scared there is a connection. Having two serious conditions would be complicated.
            Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Working...
            X