Got my scooter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my scooter

Got my VA scooter on friday, had 4 appointments this am at the VA Hospital in 3 different buildings and just scooted from to another, sure beat all that walking. I didn't think I really needed it but am glad I went ahead and got it.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Congrats...

that's great news!
    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Hi Scooter.......

I wanted one for several years before I got mine. It was getting harder and harder just to grocery shop, let alone big stores. Did I say I mine?

Back in the 80s I used to be so dang tired and wore out after being at the VA for apts. I would be more like a worn rag doll the rest of the day and into the next at least. My wife would ask how much blood they took from me...........lol

Back then the most VA would do for me was advise I use a cane, I REFUSED.. saying something ELSE was wrong. Heck they even sent me to the shrinks upstairs, not nuts or even depressed was their verdict, but nothing was actually done, and I was clueless what it could be.

Fast forward about 25yrs, MRI done = RRMS and backed up with LP & VEP etc.

When I went for my VA neuro-opty apt I got sick just going from the car to the 1st floor apt.

Scooter.. you should find the scooter does more for you than just make it so much easier to get around. It can and will help you manage your energy for not only VA appointments, but you will feel BETTER afterwards, at least it does that for me.

How do you get both your and your scooter from home to the VA? Did they outfit a van or something for you?
      I bought mine out of pocket 100%, sold a prized camera to afford mine. The only thing so far the VA provides for me MS wise, is the Copaxone & a cooling vest. I use my scooter at the VA and my MS neuro has not said anything what so ever about it. He seems to be a good doc, I like him, but he is very, very busy.

Gomer

Comment

Gomer, yes the VA supplied a lift for my pickup truck that puts the scooter in the bed of the truck which is better for me than tieing up the back of the truck and the trailer hitch.

I never asked for it, I got sent a letter from them telling me I had an appointment with OT, when I went there the girl told me I was there to decide which scooter I wanted and the type of lift I would need, I told her I didn't need one but she said the nuero put in for it for me, as I told him I had to use a walker for any great distances . They also have me on a program because I have had a number of falls in the last year. If I remember correctly he had asked me if I was able to go to the mall and I said no as I couldn't walk that far, ( I actually used it as an excuse not to go to the mall with my wife) her and my DD's think shopping is a sport and I could care less about shopping unless it is in a golf store or a model train shop.

Are you SC? if so and your scoooter is getting old I would ask for a new one. They came out to my house and installed it and delivered the scooter plus they take care of all maintenance and repairs for it also. The VA center where I go is a MSCE which may be more emphasis is placed on things like this. I have an OT appointment every 3 -4 months asking if I need a ramp for the house or any other safety equipment for the house.

The gave me an AFO which I told them wasn't really working for me so then they gave me a walkaide.

Comment

4 Scooter

Hi SCOOTER......

Question:

Is a scooter really a scooter without a scooter?

Actually I was looking for another of your posts and came across this one. I read it again and noted some things I missed... like did not reply.

I noticed you mentioned model train shop. What gauge/scale. I have mostly N-scale. I made some display cases I show off some of my collection. I worked a whole 10 days as a NYC switchman, before I got a call not to return, they said I failed their physical.... oh well it was fun while it lasted. I worked mostly in the yard, via the on-call board. I made great money. Often double shifts and if I got called in due to some one going home sick or something, I had two hours to catch the train (yard or way freight) and got paid for the 2hrs.

My first 3 days on the NYC was spent learning to jump on and off moving trains. Very dangerous and the practice has been abandoned for some time now.

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Gomer- I plan on modeling in N myself, just spent the last 2 days cleaning out the garage and moving stuff into the new shed, was going to use an extra bedroom but 2 DD moved back in so I lost it. Hopefully will get started on the table soon maybe even this week.

I was raised on the NY Susquehanna tracks in N/E Jersey. My Great Great grandfather was a well known and decorated engineer on the Erie. If you google Haarvey Springstead there is an article my brother wrote for Trains Magazine.

I started a group at trainboard.com for disabled MRR modelers, but it has gotten pretty quiet on there lately.

Comment

Many years ago I joined a local MMRR club to learn....

The tables they made were JUNK, more like I did as a kid!

I make my tops sandwich fashion. I start w/ a 4x8' (cut if/as desired shape etc. Then I use 1x4 as a frame. I align the 2 long frame boards first, using pre-drilled holes in the peg board. I draw center lines along the top edge of the boards and use flat head screws that recess but not pull through. Then I cut the cross members to length after measuring the span between the long boards.

Then I glue & screw Styrofoam (construction grade) on top of the peg board base. I paint the s-foam green, then lay cork roadbed and track. I let the top overhang the frame boards and use the overhang to hang controllers switches etc under the top, along the sides but out of the way. I tore it all down and moved it a few years back, never got it quite fully running yet, its assembled, just partly wired etc.

If you would like Email me, I could send you detail photos so you can SEE how I made mine. They are stable, strong, very easy to make and LIGHT in weight! I used 2x2s for legs w/screws on the bottom to adjust/level them.

After laying track, I use a regular common nail to punch holes in the s-foam, thru the peg holes (no drilling) from the bottom, I use the closest spot and angle the nail so the punched hole is where I want it to come out near the tract etc as needed. When you punch S-foam that way, it makes a hole larger on top, save the plug, run the wires thru & the replace the plug. You can always remove the plug, wires etc and run them elsewhere if you change track pastern etc.

The construction grade foam has held the cork roadbed nails and track fine for me all these years, so far. NO hammer needed, I use a nail punch to push the tiny track nails in the track & cork. I can remove and change track patterns as desired very easily. I favor steam but do have a fair collection of diesel etc as well, passenger and freight, even a few European trains.

Being a lover of STEAM my fav is my pair of Rivarossi BIG BOYS w/charcoal smoke box. My uncle worked in the steam shops in Chattanooga Tn. One nice thing about N-scale is you can do a lot in any given space.

I also make some of my own power supplies and control circuitry, but no digital on my home layout. I did make a semi-computerized town mall display for Christmas on year. I made a controler that cycled a trafic light that also controled a trolly car with logic so it slowed at each end and stopped for the traffic light, AFTER clearing the intersection, so it would clear the intersection then stop if it hit the light wrong.

I know all the above sounds a lot more complicated than it actually was/is. I am too beat tonite to grab a couple photo tonight, but I can in the morning easily. At least it could give you some ideas before you commit to type of table construction. I have been making ALL my table this way since the 80s and like it better than any other method I have seen or did before.

A great hobby...... n any scale even 1:1......HaHa

Gomer Sir Falls-a-lot

Comment

Gomer - sent you an email this am.

Comment

Working...
                X