SSDI and VA Compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI and VA Compensation

I am a 40% disable veteran for various problems. Out of the 40%, 20% is for my Lower Back. Recently I was approved SSDI and a new MRI reveal new problems. My question is Can the decision by the SSA help me with a claim that I am considering in opening for an increase on my Lower Back rating? Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation in this matter.

Before you file a VA claim or addition, check with a VA service officer.
    I think a lot of it depends on if you're considered Service Connected or Non Service Connected (with the VA).
    You'll also want to understand how the VA findings can effect your SSI status. I have a feeling it could turn into a hairball with either the VA or SSA if you aren't careful.

Comment

From what my PVA rep told me niether one really looks at the other, other than if you are going for 100% via unemployability the VA may be more willing to approve one for 100% if already rcvg SSDI and visa versa but niehter is bound by the other and they don't get into exchanging medical records etc. I'n my case the only thing asked by the VA was if they based my SSDI on my MS and if thye considered it a permanent disability.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I collect both ssdi, and a sevice connected disability from the va...you can collect both with know problem. it might be different set of rules if you have a va pension for that falls under a different set of rules, its like ssi is different than ssdi. pension is a needs bases like ssi, i wouldnt talk to a va officer i would talk to the pva since you have back problems, i chose the first time to deal with the va by myself and ended screwing myslef out of getting a 100 percent , now i have the pva working on it, so soon i will be 100 percent service connected and ssdi and actaully in my case they did share records, you just never Know

Comment

I'd still check first with a VA service rep.
          If we're talking about compensation, the type of service connection you have DOES matter. The rules for a non-service connected pension are pretty tight and SSDI may or may not determine a seperate pension as income, no matter which pension you get. This could also effect your co-pay status for VA health care.
          Just have a sit-down and explain what's going on. A rep should be able to advise you on any options.

Comment

compensation from VA

Can you explain to me what is this filling for 100% for unemployability to the VA?

Comment

It is just as it says, you can be determined unemployable based on your sx etc, if the VA finds in your favor you will get 100% service connected, so your problems must be from your service connected illness or condition. It still does not stop you from working some hours which is similar to SSDI. Under most conditions you need to be 60% service connected to apply for it but it is possible to get it with 40% under certain circumstances. PVA rep has said that if you have been SSDI approved it will help your case with the VA, doesn't mean you will get it but it does add weight to your case.

Comment

Actually I am 50% SC, receiving only 40% because it is a combined status. I am also 0% SC for left knee which I have an open case for an increase now. I believe I would get an increase and then I should file for the unplayability issue. If you have any other input I most certainly appreciated but if not, thanks for all your help and support. God bless you all, ALWAYS.

Comment

You might want to take a look at this site it has some good info on it

http://www.disabledveterans.org/cate...-compensation/

Comment

you need to be at least 40 percent service connected in one area to get apply for unemployability , if you were in a combat arms field you can put in for tinnitus ringing of the ears its almost aotomatic and that a 10 percent increase..its really not that difficult to do it yourself you just need to read up on article 38 thats what the Goverment uses its only about 1000 pages and you can always get your congressman involved if you right him he must respond back to you .....just keep good medical records...

Comment

Working...
                    X