Young, Retired, and Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young, Retired, and Confused!

Ok, the confused bit is fairly common these days as I can't remember jack, but here goes!

Hi all, I'm Kraheera. I did Satellite Communications in the Air Force from June of '03 to Nov '09. Due to some work incidents, I developed Asthma. Got temporarily retired Nov '09, then perma-tired in March '11.

Dx'd with MS in September '11.

That's right. 26 and I get all kinds of goodies in my basket. On a good note, I've got two amazing kids. One just turned 2. He's a mini-football player. The other is my daughter, and she'll be 7 on the 10th of this month.

I love them to pieces, but they don't make my days easy let me tell ya that. The husband is still active duty, but currently stationed in Japan. That means I get to play single, stay-at-home mom while going through a relapse. It's all I can do to get up and take the kiddo to school, then keep an eye on the boy, take a nap when he does, then pick up the kiddo from school. I usually have a friend come over on Saturday to help me clean up the house from the week of me not being able to do much more than cook and make sure the house doesn't get too bad.

Anyways, what is confusing me now is how I figure out who to see and when. See, my pcm keeps changing. At the start of my dx, it was one guy. Just after my dx, it changed to another lady. Do I have to call HER whenever something flares up, or do I have a perma-referral to my neuro?

Tricare's site isn't exactly helpful when it comes to this sort of thing... all it mentions is that for 'some' care a referral won't be necessary, but it doesn't list what that care is!

Better late than never...

I noticed you did not get a response to this...so here it is.

If you are on Tricare Prime, you MIGHT have a permanent referral to a neuro since you have been officially diagnosed with MS.

If you are on Tricare Standard, you don't need referrals, only need to ensure that Tricare is accepted by the doctor.

Call your region Tricare or local base Tricare office and they will tell you if the number of referrals is permanent or a specific number. It would be a pain to keep having to go to your PCM each and every time.

Don't worry...you will get use to the Tricare thing and figure it out...took me about a year.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

Oh and one more thing...

If you live near an AF Base, make an appointment and go talk to the Tricare rep personally about all the Tricare benefits. I did...well worth my time.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

Hey young and confussed, i am 50 and still confussed so dont worry and all the stuff i say DITTO what Katie said to do. Been doing Tri Care before Tri Care was cool, back in the day when it was Champus.... when you get the system down it rocks.... if you can also use the VA for your service connected disabilities to, if over 50 percent you can use it for all medical needs.....

Also just so you know you can still work while receiving disabilty from the service, no work restrictions there, you can also apply for ssdi, i have both, which is the jackpot for me cause medicare is my primary and tricare pics up balance and i pay ZERO ZILCHO in medical bills ... mail order your drgs and thats almost zero too....May the Wind be at your back and the skies be clear

Comment

Working...
        X