Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Military Strong and some of the other AF AD

Hey Everyone-
    This is only my second post, but I have been lurking awhile. I am a retired AF officer with MS. I thought I should post because I have noticed that some people have been experiencing problems with AF Dx. So I have some advice, especially for Military Strong:

1) If you are active duty and not getting the medical care you think you deserve, you must take action. I would start with the hospital/clinic patient advocate and demand to see a neurologist.

2) If that does not work, go see your squadron commander, who will in-turn either call in a favor with the medical squadron commander or talk to your Wing Commander.

3) If no one is talking to you by this time, file an IG Complaint, you will most likely get attention.

4) Finally, use this as a last resort, contact your State Senator. The Air Force has 72 hours to report back to the Senator and believe me you will get the needed results. But use this only as a last resort and try to follow your chain of command being respectful the entire way.

5) If you don't like the answer you get from your military neuro, you have the right to ask for a second opinion and that is usually from a civilian doctor. In my case they sent me to the UCSF Multiple Sclerosis Center.

For those of you waiting for Medical Boards, keep in mind that it is possible you will not be medically discharged. MS is not necessarily an automatic discharge anymore like it use to be. I was able to stay on active duty for 5+ years with a probable MS diagnosis. And I know several with a positive diagnosis who remained on active duty for years.

And finally, for anyone in any Branch, document, document, document. And keep several copies of everything (I even kept copies of my MRI Films). You will need all this stuff for the VA claim(s) in the future. The VA can be a tricky beast, but you will throw them off their game if you have all your ducks in a row.

Best of Luck to You.

Thank you

for your post today. I am going through the DES process right now. Saw the VA mental health today and unbelievably he told me that my MS might not be real, it could just be depression, and if I just don't think about it then maybe it (my MS) will just go away. Whatever!!! And to think, these are the people treating vets.

Anyway, I only have one more VA appt. and then my whole packet goes to the MEB board so it's just the wait and see from that point on. I suspect I will not be retained, but retired despite the fact that I am an AF nurse. I am non-deployable, cannot go TDY, and restricted to half work days, why would they want to keep me?

I appreciated your post though. It's good to hear from other vets or those still on AD.
    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Lots of questions!

I have been going through the MEB/PEB process for awhile for MS. I was wondering if you could possibly have some advice for me if you are still active on this forum.

Comment

Working...
      X