Elevated white blood count and Tysabri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevated white blood count and Tysabri

Althoough I love Tysabri, I have a question. On 1/31/11 I will have infusion #7. I just had an MRI this past Monday.

Everytime I go to the infusion center and they take blood my white count is always elevated and no one seems to know why. I hope this won't be the cause of me having to stop this treatment. I'm allergic to all the interferons. I've tried them all.

Does anyone else have elevated white levels? This started when I started on this treatment. I see my neuro 2/7/11.

Thanks
    I am a phenomenal woman; and still I rise.

I've also had an elevated WBC on Tysabri. My neuro explained it to me a few years ago (he even drew pictures) of why the level could show elevated. Darned if I can remember the exact explanation.

It had something to do with the barriers created by Tysabri and that the white blood cells were not circulating as they do in a 'normal' person...

Comment

I've had elevated WBCs since I started.

Neuro explains it as "Tysabri blocks WBCs from crossing the BBB to do damage to brain and spinal cord by plugging into a keyhole (a receptor) on a cell that the WBCs would normally use to cross the BBB. It doesn't block all of them, but blocks enough to reduce relapses and slow progression. Since they are blocked from where they want to go, they mill around aimlessly until they die."

Whatever it is, it's still working for me. I had # 48 yesterday, no problems, no concerns. I also had labs done and my WBCs were still elevated, not a lot but above the "normal" level.
      "Oh I know the sound the river makes, by dawn, by night, by day;
      But can it stay me through tomorrows that find me far away?"
      Tysabri since 05/25/2007

Comment

I can't speak to the "why" white blood cells are elevated in people on Tysabri, I just know mine usually are and my neuro said that's too be expected because of the Ty. I wouldn't worry about it if you neuro isn't.
        Lori
        Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

what does a high wbc count mean in some one healthy?

a high wbc would be a lab test to determine if someone has an infection--but a high wbc count doesn't do anything else right?

a tysabri induced high wbc count would mean lab tests to determine if someone has an infection wouldn't be useful for someone on ty...but all those extra wbc milling around with nothing else to do, would mean that the person would be less resistant to infection & get over infections easier?

I'm asking, not telling. Just speculating what this high wbc would mean in reality---less information obtained from blood tests & more resistance to infections except the ones that cross the bbb to get into th cns.

a low wbc would be the bad one?
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

elevated labs

hey i had my 2nd infusion and once again my lymp;s were swollen after infusion.

the 1st time it seemed to go away by sat. (get infusion thurs)..

this time it did not go away till thurs.(but ,i called infusion center this time ) it lasted longer and just the right side of my neck was swollen and hurt like crazy(could not sleep,had trouble swollowing).

well people at infusion center said it had nothing to do with ms,or ty.lol...

so i went to my reg doc and he said my lyph sytem was not swollen??

took blood... has not discussed the results with me its friday labs were drawn tues..

(im bout to fire him, he ignored my ms for like 4 years)

so anyway i got the results and have no idea what they mean other than high values. so heres the high values

wbc 14.0 expected 4-10

lympocytes 45 expected 13

monocytes 10 expected 5

absolute lymphocytes 6.3 expected .9-2.5

chloride 97 expected 98-110

co2 was high?

well it almost looks like infection? i guess i need to get a new doc to read these..

Comment

I've had swollen lymph nodes on and off for the last few months. I need to follow up with an ENT according to my promary doc.

Comment

Working...
              X