Pregnancy and Ty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pregnancy and Ty?

I have 2 boys, 12 and 3. I'm feeling the baby urge again. My next Ty infusion is #26. Hubby and I aren't "trying" but if it happens that's okay. I just wonder what would happen if I did get pregnant and had an infusion before I found out.

Has anyone been on Ty and had an unplanned pregnancy? How is the baby? I can't find any info. I was on Avonex when I got pregnant with my little one and was already 11 wks preg when I found out. I pay much more attention to my periods now and the Ty hasn't made me have late periods like the Avonex did so I would not let a pregnancy get that far along without testing since the Ty doesn't do that to me. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if so, how's the baby? Thank you!

Jenn
    Jenn-- Proud mom to 2 boys. The teen who drives me up the wall and the 1st Grader who makes me laugh every day.

I would make sure you stop the Ty before you let yourself get pregnant. From what I know there are no studies about this. Let your doctor know before your next infusion that you are thinking about another baby. You'd be better to stop before trying than risk conception while still getting the infusions. Also, it takes a few months for the Tysabri to start to clear from your system.
    Take care, Wiz
    RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

I found this:
      http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAN/19528

According to this very small sample of Tysabri users in the Tysabri Pregnancy Exposure Registry, Tysabri didn't seem to raise concerns for women who became pregnant while using Tysabri. The incidence of miscarriage was 16% compared to 15% in the general population. There were not enough people involved to determine if there is an increased risk of major birth defects.

However, being a Pregnancy Category C drug (as are Avonex,Rebif and Betaseron) it has shown harm to animal fetuses. This is the best we have since there is no way possible to test this on humans. All we have for humans are observations of the women who have become pregnant while taking a DMD and have added themselves to registries like those for Avonex and Tysabri.

Personally, based on that alone, I would not take the risk. If it were me, and this is just my opinion...what I would do for myself....I would actively prevent pregnancy until I was off Tysabri and a time sufficient to completely eliminate it from my system has passed. Just to be sure there is no risk possible from the Tysabri.

Comment

I went to a talk the MSS put on Saturday. The neuro talking said do not get pregnate while on Tysabri and not until you had been off of it for 3 months. But new information comes out all the time. I would ask both your doctor and your OB to research it for you.

As you can see, some here get to the best websites, maybe others will have a another good one for you. But do check with your doctors too.

Comment

I did talk to my neuro about it and she said the best scenario would be to be off Ty for a month at least before a pregnancy. Like I said, we're not trying... just not preventing. It took 8 yrs to get pregnant with our little one, I'm not going to bet money on getting pregnant. LOL! Thanks for the info and the link!
          Jenn-- Proud mom to 2 boys. The teen who drives me up the wall and the 1st Grader who makes me laugh every day.

Comment

Strawberry Shortcake - do you belong to the MSSS? I just got their magizine today and the cover article is on pregnacy and MS. If you don't belong, I think you can get the article though the web site. It was in depth and covered everything from pregnacy to breastfeeding to adopting with MS. I didn't read the whole thing, I just skimmed though it, the kids were over. but I thought of you and wanted to let you know there is a lot of information out there for you.

I love having 3 kids. It is way way different than 2. Sort of hard to explain. I enjoyed each and every stage. Even the teen years weren't as bad as some led me to believe. My daughter and I had a rough time for a bit, but it didn't last long and we are very close now.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Working...
            X