Interesting news of JCV antibody test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting news of JCV antibody test

Reported at the Presenting here at the 26th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis(ECTRIMS)

Reported in this medscape article...

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/730736

1. The test could be avaiable in the market as early as January.(now its a trial)

2.It has been evaluated in 5,000 patients, internationally in AFFIRM,TYGRIS, STRATISFY-I

3. PML is lower in anti-JCV antibody negative than positive

4. the JCV anti body positive prevelance was between 48-61% across all the trials

5. PML incident of people who have used Tysabri for at least 18 months is 1.63 per 1,000

6.The prevalence of anti JCV antibodies is not affected by prior immunsuppresant use

7. Positive JCV anti bodies was less common in woman than men but the likely hood of testing positive increased with age.

8. The false negative rate is 2.5% & spontaneous seroconversion rate of negative testers is 2% suggesting periodic testing for JCV anti bodies of people using tysabri---(I'm very excited to read this, as you can look at a previous post I wrote that my doc had no confidence in 1 test as a person could pick yup the HCV anytimme after the blood test was done--I just like it that my doc;s opinions are 4expressed in their final analysis. My doc is sharp & that makes me feel better.)

9. 4 of 1094 people who had Tysabri treatment holiday died of PML, so it calls into question the advantages of a treatment holiday. 3 of the 4 hasd previously used an immunesuppressive which increases the risk of PML

My note: Past use of an immunesuppressive like novatrone, cellcept is not the immunomodulatars like betaseron,avonnex,rebif & past use of an immunosuppressive increases PML risk but does not inrease the likelyhood JCV antibody positive test result.

10. Currently 68 patients using Tysabri have gotten PML and of those 14 died.
    xxxxxxxxxxx

correction to #9 in this thread

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=106287
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

The web site that I go to that is out of Germany states that 70 people have now gotten PML.

Comment

Thanks for posting this

Comment

Originally posted by LL60 View Post
          The web site that I go to that is out of Germany states that 70 people have now gotten PML.
          The german site list 69&70,
          Of internal source yet----so its not a reputable source, yet. The german site is careful to list sources and when it comes from one I consider it more "concrete, else I take it with the uncertainty reported by a website that is careful to list sources--so the webmaster know the importance of sources and degree of certainty that the source gives news. The german site lists 69 &70 from internal sources yet---so I wouldn't refernce those last two as reliable yet. Just wait & see. We know it will go 69 & 70 eventually ---and 71,72,73,ect.

Plus I'm half german so I also understand the importance of source of news.
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

He (Alex I think is his name) does pretty darn good. A lot of sourses are the Wall Street Journal. Which seems strange to me.

There is a case 71 listed and the sourse is the patient herself. She is at John Hopkins. She had 22 treatments of Tysabri.

I did a pretty involved survey for NARCOMS on my risk I was willing to take for treatment. Funny, how they don't do the same type one for cost.

I don't think my idea of risk is the same. I KNOW that Tysabri works for me. Understand what I mean? Not like I am just starting out and trying to weight the benifits verus the risks. For me, it works and works well.

What my husband and I had to talk about was the cost come January. Still staying with Tysabri.

But........I may rethink things at #36 or maybe #48. Or maybe not. Can't live in the future.

Comment

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2024384420101020

Reuters would be a reliable source.

Comment

Working...
              X