Question: Solumedrol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Solumedrol?

Recently saw my Neuro after my second infusion (no difference that I can tell yet) and he mentioned that should I have an exacerbation I would likely have to ride it out because solumedrol is dangerous while on Tysabri. Say what? According to him both drugs suppress the immune system leaving a body too susceptible to virus or infection, etc. Any one else know about this???

Thanks,
    Anna

First he is correct, they do both suppress the immune system and make it more likely for you to get viruses and infections.

Second, many of us on tysabri have taken it with a 5 day infusion and not gotten terribly ill from it. You just have to be cautious. Wear a mask in the hospital or clinic or any place where clusters of sick people are. You may want to wear it anywhere clusters of people are. Wash your hands alot. Those hand sanitizers don't kill all bugs so be careful using all of those. The mask is a two-for disease preventer in that it stops you from inhaling infectious bugs, but it also keeps you from touching your mouth with an infected hand that has touched an infected handrail or door handle.

I have taken Ty and IVSM at the same time twice and did not get sicker, but I did practice the above detractors. I have also gotten severely ill from just Ty by getting GI viruses frequently. They are persistent and Ty makes you susceptible to them.

If you start feeling too bad, go to the ER. They will help you out. Or, seek a second opinion about the IVSM and Ty.

Good luck.
    Hope things get better for you!
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Who knew?

Thanks, Lisa, fortunately not having an exacerbation (now) but I did not know this prior to starting Tysabri, although it does make perfect sense. Thank you for the tip about the masks, it's a good idea. I do have gastroparesis (sp?) and was hoping to see some improvement but no such luck. In fact I don't feel any different but I've only had two infusions. As long as nothing gets worse, I can deal with it.

Anna

Comment

Working...
      X