Is this the test for PML?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the test for PML?

So I had blood taken today, I'm 2 infusions in. I asked the nurse if this was for PML and she said she didn't know. Its tests mainly on my liver and kidney?

Its every 3 months, that seems like PML screening to me, but I don't know. I just actually want to avoid all these needles for some reason. Wow

On the test form is has: ALKPHOS, ALT, AST, BILI, CBC, GAMMAGT, INR

Last one is Oct 10. Day before my birthday niiiiice. Done Ty then? Maybe
    Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
    Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

No, these tests are done, as the nurse told you, to check on your kidneys and liver, and also your bleeding.

The test that tests for chances of getting PML is the JC virus, and its levels. You should ask your neurologist how often they test for that. If you are already JCV+, then they should be following your index. None of this is stated in your tests that you mentioned.

Please talk with your doctor about any concerns.

Take care
    Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

None of your listed tests involve the JCV. They are all liver. kidney checks for enzyme levels, bile levels, etc. Talk to your neuro. There is NO reason you should not know if you are JCV-, JCV+, and if positive your titer level.

In the US, we call the JCV test something similar to
      Stratify JCV Antibody ELISA test -or-
      STRATIFY JCV Antibody with Reflex to Inhibition Assay -or-
      or JC Polyoma Virus Ab.

Comment

The needles shouldn't be anymore than that your infusion needs. They usually take the blood and then start the infusion-so only the one needle.
        Linda

Comment

Oh ok. Thanks guys!

When I got blood tests when I first saw the neuro that's treating me JCV was on there. I'm JCV- so she insisted on Ty as mt first med.

i figured this before seeing the requisition form. the Ty rep told me they do check for signs of PML every few months. does anyone know how this is done? Or are symptoms how they check?

and i really dont like needles. when i was 21 my retinas were detaching. treatment was injecting nitrogen bubbles in the eye and then laser to cause trauma, lay this way to see if it heals and pushes the retina back. there was local aenesthetic. it was injected into the eye with a needle duh.
          it only worked on one eye and i got that treatment once a week for a year. surgery was done on the left eye. i lost peripheral vision and both eyes got cataracts anyway.

fun times! i had to drop out of school!
          Sx start May '13 | Dx'd Dec '13 | Tysabri Feb '14 [Neuro's call&saved my life]
          Just because we don't feel flesh, doesn't mean we don't fear death

Comment

Working...
          X