Tysabri cost question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tysabri cost question

The cost of Tysabri (just the drug) jumped from $4800 to $5800 in one month. Anyone else seeing this jump? It really hasn't gone up in over 2 years, so I'm wondering what others are paying and have you seen a jump in price? Thanks in advance....

This has been my experience with the cost of Tysabri over the last 4 1/2 years.

First 2 1/2 years I paid nothing because it came under "major medical." Then our insurance changed.

I paid something different every single month. Came to find out, I was charged for every little thing, and if it took them 4 kits to start the IV, I was charged for 4 kits. It was about $980 if all went well. I paid that until we hit our out of pocket max. I complained each month about the expense and no one ever said anything. It was on these boards that I found out about Biogen's help that is available. I called and even though they said it was very easy to apply, they warned me that they have trouble working with my insurance company. Did they ever! It took 8 months for all the paperwork to go though.

Everything was finally done, only after I had to file a formal complaint against my insurance company, and I was approved the end of January 2013. BUT.....the infusion I got the 2nd of January ------I was charged $2,000. I don't know if it was a price increase or just my insurance's way to stick it to me one last time.

I am now back to paying nothing. And greatly appreciating it!!!

Comment

My Oct infusion was about $600. more than it had been
      Linda

Comment

Well, I can see my English background failed me . You would think after working with words for 28 years, I could do a better job...I'll try again.

What I'm wondering is what is your insurance company billed for the Tysabri (just the drug) by the place where you are infused. My infusion center said there was a jump of almost $1000 from September to October, and they weren't having any luck finding it cheaper.

Try again....

Comment

ru4cats,

My bills aren't broken down so I can see the just the cost of the drug. But, still going to the same place & my insurance company was charged an additional $1500 in August (same amount for Oct. & Nov.). The last jump was in April, when they were charged an additional $742. However the insurance company negotiates the price, turns out they paid much more with the April increase ($1400) than the August one ($518) Makes me wonder how they decide who gets billed what.
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks, Kimba. Looks like there was an increase in price. I've learned from experience that each infusion center bills a different price ($4800 at one and $17,000 at another). My statement of benefits breaks down all costs from my infusion center.

Believe it or not, I don't want my insurance company to be ripped off. I know my infusion center said they were having a difficult time finding a new supply of Tysabri at the lowest cost possible.

I'm wondering if Biogen isn't jacking up the price with the problems with Gilenya, Tecfidera, and now Lemtrada; maybe they now they have a captive audience. Who knows?

Comment

This month: $15,148 for the infusion center and $509.38 for the Ty.

Comment

My records show the following billing to my insurance company for Tysabri:

7/13-12/13: $4582
                1/13-6/13: $4188
                11/12-12/12: $3950

So over the past year, it has gone up about $600/dose.

My infusion services are billed at $497/infusion. I go to my MS center, which I understand is cheaper than a hospital.

FYI, out of my own pocket, I pay $50/dose of Tysabri and $20 for each infusion. Yeah, I have great insurance.

Comment

Working...
                X