Delaying Treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delaying Treatment

I communicated to my neuro that I wanted to do Ty as a first line defense. I first read about the drug in pathology notes, which called MS a "dread" disease and Tysabri as a "miracle breakthrough." The more I read, the more I became convinced that it was my best chance to reduce progression and lesion load. I also read Tec forums and it seems Ty is a side effect walk in the park comparatively.

I've since also been reading many disturbing things about loss of cognition that doesn't remit, gray matter atrophy, and inability to detect gray matter lesions except post mortem. I originally thought this was a white matter disease. I feel that my short term memory and processing speed has been affected, along with a blunting of affect. Has anyone noticed cognitive improvements on Ty?

Secondly, I was trying to get pregnant when I was dxed. The neuro said I could continue to try. I'm using donor material so my odds are slightly lower than trying naturally, and plus I'm over 30. I had vitamin D levels checked, but have to go back to the draw station for the JC test since they were unsure how to have it analyzed.

Guys, I originally made my decision based on my faith in neuroplasticity and the assumption that my brain could begin to "bounce back" when I began Ty. I thought a year or two would be negligible in delaying treatment. The reality of seems to be quite the opposite. Neurons only have a very minimal capacity to heal and regenerate (helps in preservation of memories and decreased cancer risk).

I'm sure being a woman the neuro thought everything was secondary to becoming successfully pregnant, but I would have appreciated a complete risks and benefits picture. I know that progression, efficacy, and personal decisions are not cut and dry but I would appreciate others' thoughts and opinions. Neuro spent most of the apt. complaining how the material I brought from the hospital, labeled "report," was not The Report (aside: shouldn't an Ivy League teaching hospital/hospital in major urban area have EMR/EHR medical recordkeeping??).

Hi there
    I believe better late than never. I am 64 yrs old, been on Tysabri since 10/06 (84th infusion last Tues). I wish I had been on Ty 2 yrs earlier as I believe I would be dancing (like I loved) and going for long walks .. Oh well .. My R leg drags, doesn't move well. I was dx'd 1988.

Progression has halted, my MRIs (which I was told) was lit up like a X-mas tree with many, many lesions changed almost immediately; no new or active lesions and many of the old smaller or gone. I have a very good QOL-in a few minutes I will get dressed, go out to dinner and go dancing I thank G-d for Tysabri !!!!

I am a very grateful Ty user
    Linda

Comment

Wow Linda congratulations. Stories like yours make me feel good about taking Ty as a first level response. I've read in a lot of places that DMDs don't make you feel better, they only lessen the progression, but Ty users actually have videos of walking for the first time in years.

Our drug insurance is BeneCard and I found a list of "specialty drugs." All the MS drugs appear on it, so not sure if they have some generic list of high tier meds or they do indeed cover it. I was tested for JC last week and still don't know, LabCorp said there was an address discrepancy so I hope they clear that up quickly and I find out soon. I feel PMSy, so I don't think I'm pregnant. Four months no treatment. : (

Comment

Since Tysabri is infused I don't think it's listed under specialty drugs. I'm on Medicare, Ty is covered under part B not part D.
        Good luck
        Linda

Comment

Ok, so not pregnant. The test came back negative for JC, but I've been reading about false positives just to give myself greater peace of mind. Seems the test is accurate enough but 1/3 of negs have "viremia." Definitely don't know what that is and must investigate. Maybe an extremely low titer that makes the viral load undetectable by the test? I called for neuro appt., earliest I could get was Nov. 6th.

Comment

Working...
          X