Does Biogen pay incentives to Dr.'s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Biogen pay incentives to Dr.'s?

My Dr. pushed me to go on Tysabri shortly after I was diagnosed. It helps but I'm nervous about long term effects, and, of course, PML. Talked to a former patient of my Dr. today who said she left because he pressured her to go on Tysabri. She's on Avonex and won't switch due to PML fears. She believes Biogen offers Dr.'s financial incentives to prescribe Tysabri.

I've met several other MS patients who see my Dr., most are on Tysabri. So, I'm wondering if Biogen does, in fact, pay financial incentives to Dr.'s for prescribing Tysabri? If they do, I'm leaving his practice and may forgo DMD's altogether.

If big pharma pays incentives to Dr.'s for prescriptions that's an insidious and, I'd think, illegal practice.

Is the doctor doing JCV antibody tests before putting people on Tysabri? If he/she is and all these people are negative the doctor might be choosing Tysabri be wise currently right now it's the most successful treatment

But I can't answer your question about financial incentives to prescribe drugs. Are pharmaceutical companies allowed to do that anymore? Maybe your doc gets higher speaking fees if he/she is pushing it.

Comment

No Biogen doesn't pay cash incentives to doctors to prescribe Tysabri because that IS illegal. There are other ways the drug companies reward doctors for their business but cash payments are definitely illegal.

That person on Avonex who thinks Biogen pays doctors to prescribe Tysabri made me laugh because Biogen makes Avonex too!

Tysabri is the best medicine approved right now for MS and there isn't a substitute so it isn't a conspiracy that so many doctors want their patients on it. If you don't have the JC virus then it makes sense that your doctor would recommend it to you and good reasons for you to be on it. If your JC virus positive there are still reasons why your doctor would prescribe it. So it depends on your situation and how your doctor explained the Tysabri to you.

Do you really mean that you would forgo DMDs altogether just because you think drug companies want doctors to prescribe their medicines? That wouldn't hurt the doctors or the drug companies as much as it might hurt you.

If you don't like the medicines then it makes sense not to take them. I don't take DMDs anymore because I didn't like them. I didn't stop because I didn't like the way the drug companies do business. That would be like trying to hurt them by holding my breath until I turned blue!

Comment

Hi,

I understand your feelings of suspicion.

Doctors can receive honoriums for speeches, consulting fees and research funding from the pharma companies, so there can be an indirect incentive to push a certain drug.

But like all professions, there are good and bad neuros. I recommend that you keep looking for a neuro whom you trust.

Choosing a DMD is a personal decision, but I would not forgo taking any DMD without consulting another neuro. Hopefully, you have a honest, respectful conversation.

Comment

I agree with MSer102 the doc's don't receive kick backs for prescribing tysabri. It certainly has risks but also the best efficacy profile of any med currently on the market. Dale
          Dale in NC, dx'ed 2000, now SPMS

Comment

My dr. Strongly advocated for Ty when I was diagnosed. I wish I had agreed. 15 months of trying copaxone, then avonex left me perm disabled because I kept having flares ever 3 months or so. I don't heal all the way after an attack.

I have been on Ty for 17 months now and not one single attack, but I am still perm disabled :-(

FYI, I'm jvc+, but I will stay on Ty. The risk is worth the reward in my eyes.
            Melissa Goerke
            [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

MSer102 "No Biogen doesn't pay cash incentives to doctors to prescribe Tysabri because that IS illegal. There are other ways the drug companies reward doctors for their business but cash payments are definitely illegal."

About a year ago I searched google for info about payments by pharmaceutical co.'s awarded to neuro's/doc's. I found a report that listed the indirect compensation for speaking engagements, research grants, etc. The total paid to the MS neuro I see was under $2k annually.

I don't know what regs are in place, if any, for my MS doc as an investor, stockholder, etc., in Tysabri/Biogen; the number of patients influenced and rx'ed T would result in a financial benefit; regs regarding disclosure or the transparency of a doc's financial interest in a pharmaceutical co.

I wouldn't expect my doc to invest in a med or rx one that he has no confidence in and that is ineffective.

I continue to have my suspicions about the ethics of some docs and their relationship with pharmaceutical companies.

Comment

I my opinion, some doctors are rewarded by drug companies with daily lunches for the office personnel.

My doctor at the time, who was real big in the clinical trials, took the entire staff to Switzerland on Biogen. I heard it with my own ears.

Of course they aren't rewarded with cash. That would be illegal.

Comment

Working...
                X