How do you handle infusions and work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you handle infusions and work?

Hello all. I am about to get my third Ty infusion, and I have already planned to take the day off. My issue is not about how I feel afterwards, but the length of time my infusion takes. Even with the earliest appointment it takes 2-3 hours (depending on how busy they are) so I'm getting out as late as 12. My job is about an hour away from my infusion site which means that I wouldn't be getting in until 1.

I'm not sure whether I should keep taking the day (right now I have enough vacation time). I guess I can talk to HR about my timing issue. I honestly don't know what to do.

Tips?

I'd like to hear people's comments on this.

I'm hoping to start Tysabri this fall, and my MS is not disclosed at work.

I was planning to probably take a 1/2 day as annual leave every month, which I think I could manage. I definitely have enough leave accumulated and I don't think it would raise eyebrows.

Comment

I take a sick day each month. I went back to work once after an infusion because there was just a pile of reports due. It did not work out. I left after just 20 minutes.

The first 3 years no one at work knew and no one asked. Very strick laws about asking someone why they are taking sick days. I quietly told one person and had her tell the office mananger. Mainly after I felt guilty that day about leaving work with things undone. I wanted them to know I have a good reason for taking a 3 day weekend once a month, and it's not because I'm off to Baja.

My boss does not know and I will keep it that way. When I was dx 8 years ago I had a very understanding boss. He was a doll. Who followed was not and made my life hell for the year she was there. After that experience I no longer tell the bosses that come though the office.

I read here that many do go back to work. But going in at 1 may just cause you a lot of stress trying to do catch up so late in the day. But I think everyone has to work out what works best for them. Sometimes people surprise you with their compassion. Sometimes they shock you at their insensitivity.

Comment

When I worked, I scheduled the infusion for early afternoon. I would work in the morning and leave at lunch to get the infusion. That way I could relax and not worry about getting back to work.

I did not disclose my MS at work for several years. I had developed a limp, which I explained as "nerve damage", which it is actually.

I told co-workers I had to get a shot once a month, and had to be observed for a while to make sure it did not cause a reaction. I never had anyone question that excuse.

Comment

I've done it about every way and prefer taking the full day off. Most of the time I take 1/2 day off, but I have also worked then gone to my infusion and then back to work. These are not fun days!

Pretty much everyone at work knows so going to my infusion every 4 weeks is not an issue.

Comment

Hi there,
            This has been an issue for me as well, I work full time and live an hour away from the hospital where I have my infusions.
            What is now working well for me (and keeping management at bay) is that I asked the hospital when is the latest time in the day I can have my infusion - they told me 5pm - so I now leave work at 3.30pm (normally finish at 5.30pm) and will only be taking 2 hours off work for it per month, which I can put under sick leave or my monthly acquired day off ADO)...
            It is a tiring way to do it, I get public transport to and from and I usually dont get home from the infusion until 9pm. I'm quite bitter about it really lol, but at least it shows work that I'm doing my bloody best to not let my condition intere with work too much. Freaking sux...
            And my management make out they are 'concerned' for me and my fatigue, stress etc... haha what a joke, they seem okay with me to wearing myself out outside their watch :/

Comment

I always schedule my infusions for Friday after work. It gives me the weekend to make sure that I'm ready for the work week. I usually feel fine on Sat. if I come home from the infusion and sleep (Fri) and try to get a little extra rest on Sat. morning.

I hope you find what works for you!! Scheduling around MS is always tricky and very trying. Best of luck!

Comment

Idk what your job is, but could you work from the infusion center?
                Learn from yesterday
                Live for today
                Hope for tomorrow

Comment

I also make my appointments for the last one of the day (which is 3:30) on a Friday. I work most of the day and leave work in enough time to make it there.

I am fortunate to have my infusion center on my way home. With the kind of job I have, I am tethered to a Blackberry so I am able to keep up on emails while being treated.

Comment

I'm an attorney, w. MS, on Tysabri. Make a reasonable accommodations request to your employer under the Americans with Disabilities Act, ask them to provide you an alternate work schedule that will accommodate your infusion dates. If you put your employer on notice of your disability and need for accommodations you trigger ADA protections. There are exceptions, ADA applies to employers with 15 or more employees, etc. I don't mean to provide legal advice on here, but I'm a fellow MS patient taking Tysabri, I understand your frustrations and issues expressed here oh so well. Educate yourself on your rights under the ADA and advocate for yourself, seek legal help if necessary. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Working...
                    X