Confusion and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confusion and MS

Hello, my wife has R/R MS been on Ty now for about 29 infusions, she had her last infusion about 10 days ago. It didn't seem to help at all this time, then about 7 days ago she started getting really confused and was having trouble walking even with a cane. Does anyone know if confusion is a side affect of MS or is this just a fluke that it happened close to an infusion. I'm about at my witts end, we are basically by ourselves, she is 66 and I'm 65 and a Disabled Vietnam Vet.
    I contacted the MS Doc and he ordered her 3 infusions of Solo Medrol (?) she gets her 3rd tomorrow. Anyone have problems with confusion related to MS??
    Woody

Woody , I'm on Betaseron and my confusion has become so bad I don't go out in public anymore. Mine started before I was taking any meds so I believe mine is due to MS. Thanks for your service to America.

Comment

KO4BG-
      The doctor didn't suggest an MRI?
      Confusion and balance problmes couldbe a red flag for PML. Does your wife know if she is JCV - or +?

A lot of my MS problems are cognitive, but I am very aware of when something is "off" and different.

If the series of steriods helps, then maybe this was just a relaspe. Tysabri is a treatment not a cure. Has it been working for her up until now? Hopefully she will be back on track after one or two more.

I certainly wish her the best. You too. That's good to look out for each other.

I leave in a few mintues for infusion #38.

Comment

Confusion, or "cog fog" as we frequently call it, is a pretty common symptom of MS. It can range from mild to severe, and is often an ongoing thing. I haven't heard of Solu-Medrol (methylprednisolone) being given for it, but your wife's neurologist may have prescribed it more for the walking problems.

If your wife is having memory problems along with her confusion, there are medications that can be prescribed to help with that.

Comment

Hi Woody:
          As poster LL60 pointed out, in a patient on Tysabri, changes in mental status -- particularly sudden changes -- indicate the possibility of PML and should be investigated quickly.

I'm alarmed that your wife's MS doctor -- who knows that your wife is on Tysabri and has reached an infusion count that puts her at risk for PML -- didn't order an MRI immediately. Considering that PML can be fatal, it doesn't make sense to me that her doctor's first assumption would be that she's having a relapse rather than that she might have PML that could kill her.

The JC virus antibody test isn't 100% accurate, so the possibility of PML shouldn't be dismissed in a person who tested negative. The negative could have been false.

Please read and consider:
          http://ms.about.com/od/treatments/a/...opathy-Pml.htm

In your position, I would contact the neurologist ASAP and address the PML possibility. It isn't going to hurt your wife to have an MRI, but it can hurt her to have a delay in identifying PML.

Only after PML has been ruled out should the sudden onset of mental changes be considered to be, and managed as, common MS confusion.

Comment

Ditto to Redwings reply to you about the seriousness of investingating possiblity of PML. Please get your wife to the neurologist for further examination. Thank you Woody for your service to our country. My husband died from lymphoma contracted from agent orange and died a 100% disabled vet. It must be very difficult caring for someone ill and being ill. My prayers for you and your wife and please take her to the doctor immediately.

Comment

Working...
            X