Billing Error--TWICE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Billing Error--TWICE!

I am just sharing an experience that worked out well for me. Follow it to the end..the morale of the story is at the end.

its regarding to 2 recent billing errors. I have medicare with a supplimental insurance. first medicare covers 80% then my supplemental gets a bill and they cover the last 20%

FIRST ERROR HAPPENED IN FEBRUARY OF THIS YEAR...after covering my infusions for over 2 years, problem free. medicare suddenly refuses to pay. i receive a bill from the infusion center that i owed over a $2,500 for the infusion.
    I was pretty panicked, thought maybe i reached a lifetime limit? and was thinking i needed to stop the infusions, because i don't buy what i can't pay for & that's it! if i can't pay for tysabri because i have reached some kind of lifetime limit...tysabri is OVER FOR ME!!!

so i called MEDICARE first and asked directly if i have reached a limit. the person says no i need to get the infusion center to resubmit.

so i do---and this has taken a lot of phone calls to different buildings ect. can't talk to the person that does the submission only someone else who can talk to that person and i can talk to someone who can talk to SS ect. Denied again!

this time i call medicare and i talk to someone willing to listen..FIRST IT IS ILLEGAL FOR ME TO GET A BILL FOR THE INFUSION AS THE INFUSION CENTER AGREES TO ACCEPT ASSIGNMENT-WHATEVER MEDICARE IS WILLING TO PAY THEY MUST ACCEPT AND NOT BILL IN EXCESS.

AT FIRST THE MEDICARE REP THOUGHT THAT THE INFUSION CENTER HAD VIOLATED THEIR CONTRACT WITH MEDICARE AND WOULD LOSE ALL MEDICARE Patients.

Then we communicated further and established that the infusion center was not sending me a bill because they wanted more than what medicare reimbursed, but medicare refused to pay at all for the treatment and it had to be discovered why medicare was refusing to pay at all, after paying for 2 years?

it is legal for a healthcare provider to bill for services that medicare refuses to pay, the patient can still get the treatment if they pay for it & that's legal.

Well going back to the medicare rep, she said we need to find out why medicare all of the sudden refused to pay for something that it had been paying for 2 years?

THEN SHE TOLD ME ITS NOT MY PROBLEM ANY MORE! SHE SAID MEDICARE HAS BILLING RESOLUTION REPESENTATIVES LOCATED REGIONALLY AND THAT PERSON WITH THE INFUSION CENTER WOULD RESOLVE THE PROBLEM.

Turns out a data entry error of a factor of 10 had been entered into my claim, so medare denied it as its not an approved dosage. the dosage was corrected on the claim, medicare paid and i heard no more about it.

THEN IN JULY I GET ANOTHER BILL, THIS TIME MEDICARE PAID BUT THEY HAD RECEIVED NO RESPONSE FROM MY INSURANCE.

I had learned alot from febuary, how frustrating it was to be on the phone with people who couldn't resolve the issue. but i was responsible for paying.

I remembered what the medicare rep had told me in febuary, this is not your problem. i thought yes this is not my problem--this is a problem between the infusion billing department & my insurance company. i'm just stuck in the middle.

So wrote 2 letters--1 to the infusion center billing dept and requested a copy of what had been submitted to my insurance that hadn't been paid & the month before & after which had been paid. I wrote i suspect a data entry error and i would like to review all three submissions for differences.

Then i wrote a letter to my insurance company and requested a copy of my statement for July as i had received a bill after 2 problem free insurance payments years.
    I suspect a data entry error and i have also requested what was submitted to insurance from the infusion center at that time.

Then i copied both letters to each other and mailed.

Yesterday i got this response from my insurance company--i wasn't sure this letter writing was gonna work, but it did. My insurance company and the infusion center found the problem and corrected it!

Here is the note I got back from my insurance company:

12/21/11 Dear Ms...,
    I contacted "P" and spoke with "L", she was able to fax over the claim since we did not have it.
    It has been processed, check will be issued to your provider on 12/23/11.

Thank you,
    "S"- Claims Depart Team Leader.

I think this is such a great resolution to the issue and am so glad of the way i handled it--which i learned from a Medicare Representative, but it could not have had such a fantastic resolution from my view point without the extra effort by "S" & i was so lucky that she was the one who got my letter. there is a thank you note to her from me that will be in the mail soon!
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Your much too nice to both of them, I would have called the dr and old them not my problem you better contact insurance co and get it straightened out.

As they said it isn't your problem, My mother works for 2 different dr's and this is all she does is get stuff like this worked out for them, she says 90 % of the time the insurance doesn't or claims to not have ever rcvd the invoice.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Hello 0485c10,

I am so glad you posted this. I know how frustrating it is to deal with something like this.

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem and you are able to stay on Ty.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

What a hassel Your patience and perseverance paid off-I probably would have re-acted not nearly as well-hope I'm never faced with this type of an issue.
        Yay for you
        Linda

Comment

I keep track of pretty much everything on my computer-its my memory assist device.

i added 2 columns to the list of appointments i have for my tysabri infusion to check when i have gotten a statement from medicare & my insurance that they have been paid.

the bill i got from the infusion center, i received a few months after subsequent infusion invoices had been paid.

now if i have an infusion unpaid by either Medicare or my insurance and subsequent infusions paid, i will immediately start writing the letters to ask whats happening? instead of waiting for the bill, which is phrased rather strictly( scarily harsh terms). and hopefully avoid the bill!
          xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hello all. As a former billing rep for a billing company that handled over 25 doctors I understand how these things can happen. However what I dont understand is why when you initially called them you couldn't talk to someone then and have the issue resolved. If someone at the billing office would've just simply looked at the account with you over the phone they could have noticed the error by comparing this claim to the last. Losing my job from MS has been very frustrating, but not as frustrating as now being on the patients end of things. I wish us all better luck with the people we would never of had to deal with if it were not for this disease.
            LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

Billing Errors with Tysabri

Now you guys have me worried! I start my infusions the middle of Feb and my neuro is 465 miles away one way (yeah, I go there) and my medigap N will not cover the first 3 months (they consider MS a pre-existing condition since I just saw him in Jan) and Biogen is "supposedly" covering the first 3 months with their free drug program.......yeah....sure. that's why I keep getting letters saying I have 14 days to send in boko more paperwork as I am "conditionally" approved? Of course, the date of the letter and the date of mailing is a week apart, so that cuts it to 7 days huh........if I get one more "conditional" letter and throwing in the towel and saying forget it........all my $$ goes into driving down there........I had to almost back the drug co in the wall to get the cost of the 20% co-pay and finally they said $500-$700 depending on the infusion site.......sigh......so purchased the medigap policy....anyone know what the REAL cost is?

Comment

thewall to get the cost of the 20% co-pay and finally they said $500-$700 depending on the infusion site.......sigh......so purchased the medigap policy....anyone know what the REAL cost is?[/QUOTE]

Hey Sarah, I am very sorry to hear of all the paperwork you are going through, but most of the time it is worth it in the end. At my last infusion I met with the rep of biogen and he told me even though i have insurance that I can get on a program where I pay no more than 15 a month for the infusion through them. I just looked at my last eob for the infusion and the total cost before insurance and without write off was 526.00 20% after the discount rate was 33.81 I hope that this was helpful and that you find a program that works for you and have great luck with this miracle drug. margret
                LIVE LOVE LAUGH

Comment

my neuro is 465 miles away one way (yeah, I go there)
                  Your not driving that far for your infusion are you?

May I ask why you go that far to see a nuero?
                  Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

thanks Margaret......those are interesting numbers.

Scooter.......yes, I do see a neuro who is 465 miles away. My reasons are personal but I absolutely have found the best neuro ever.

Comment

From my point of view, i got monthly or quaterly insurance statement from medicare & my insurance.

when i got them in the mail, i always looked at them to see that what had been paid in my name was a service i had actually recieved..looking for a fraudulent bill(someone who might be using my SS#) Then i threw the statements out.

I never used the statements to check that the hospital had been paid for every service i received. I have medicare, which is reliable & i pay monthly with out fail and on time for a state approved medigap policy.

I just assumed that was taking care of everything?

what i learned, is to check for both fraudulent billing and also that everything has been paid, both!

and then if there is an error, i will not use the phone..i will use mail instead. I know any billing problems are errors that need correction, as i pay my insurance and someone doesn't stop being covered by medicare, they are just an error that needs to be corrected. and despite what the threatening letter from the hospital sends me, that if i don't pay within 30 days the balance will increase, it's just an error that needs to be corrected. the mail is fast enough to do that. No way will i ever use the phone again to correct a billing error.
                      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
                      X