ALLERGIC REACTION (HIVES) after 3rd Tysabri infusion in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALLERGIC REACTION (HIVES) after 3rd Tysabri infusion in the UK

I had urticaria after my 3rd Ty infusion and now cant have it again.
    I'm devastated as ive had ms for 20 years and Ty was already working. Not only did I have no relapses (usually 4/5 a year), the crawling sensation in my hands and feet disappeared. I feel so lame complaining about it as people suffer much worse but to me. it was the first time i had felt "normal" in 20 years.
    Now ive lost the sight in my left eye again - incredible pain in the socket and i just feel so low, even cursed as apparently only 1 in 100 is allergic.
    Im also allergic to inteferon and copaxone does nothing to help.
    NICE in the UK are still deciding if to pay for it and I dont mind admitting that I feel absolutely desparate. They wont even give me LDN as the UK have decided that it only helps thru anecdotal evidence - ie the scans keep getting worse.
    After 20 years dealing with this monster I feel completely vulnerable and terrified.
    Ive read in the US the you can still keep taking Ty with Benadryl before if you get hives. I has no breathing prolems or swollen lips but im still kicked off the drug.
    They are putting me on Avonex despite my previous allergy and hoping that if Gilenya is approved I will fit the Criteria.
    I wouldnt mind so much but I've worked and still work paying my NHS taxes.
    Doesnt mean a thing in the UK. If you get pregnant at 14, you get lots of benefit money, a house and any meds you need.
    If you work all your life and have a vile disease like MS it counts for nothing. You're at the mercy of the National Institution for Clinical Excellence and their whims.

At least in the US if you pay for you're healthcare as I do you can claim and get the right meds for you.

The UK NHS is seriousy messed up in my opinion.

I'm so sick of this rollercoaster. I waited 6 month for NICE to put me on Tysabri and then to be allergis with no other option it just feels like its all for nothing.

Sorry to vent but I'm in a very sad place right now and dont know where I can find the strength to pick myself up yet again. How many disappointments over 20 years can you deal with? My lovely husband and my kids are the only reason to keep fighting

Dear MrsChip,

Even young men get weary. Frustration can be overwhelming for everyone, at times. Although I sense the deep disappointment of how your medical treatment has evolved thus far, I know I can never feel it as much as you do right now. But I do have a couple thoughts to share, if I may.

First, clearly you are a fighter. All fighters rest between rounds so take a minute to sit and gather strength. It is seldom wise to make quick decisions or take hasty actions in the midst of an emotional pounding. Be thoughtful and deliberate.

Obviously, since you are taking Vitamin D, you have an interest in supplements and diet. There seems to be a good number of people attempting to manage MS through nutrition. Keep reading and researching in that area. As part of your effort you might want to check out a site like Aloha Medicinals and read what they have to say about the immune system. If you go there, click on Cordyceps and you can read about a close relative of Isaria Sinclairii, the caterpillar fungus of which Gilenya is a synthetic version.

Please do not interpret this as an endorsement or suggestion of a treatment option, I am not doing that. I am encouraging you to rest, let your head and emotions clear, then get up for the next round in your fight. You may yet prevail. I am saying there are several possibilities for you to explore.

May the Lord strengthen you in the knowledge of the care and concern others have for you. You must have a wonderful husband. I am sure you are more of a blessing to him and your children than you can possibly imagine.

Comment

Bless you MrsChip
      I am so sorry they will not give you Benadryl and let you continue.
      Linda
      Linda

Comment

Working...
      X