How Long is tysabri infused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long is tysabri infused?

I am considering tysabri. i had my blood drawn for the Jc virus on Tuesday. I was wondering how long does the infusion process last each month? I will be doing lots of reading about this medication. I was also offered gilenya. however if i go this route i have to see a dermatologist, opthamologist as well as a cardiologist because of my BP issues which has gotten better since i discontinued the betaseron. I failed rebif (allergies) copaxone caused issues and avonex caused a problem these two are my only choice at this time. will see what i decide because its a serious decision
    thank you,
    camille

Hi Camille, The infusion is not a lengthy process, usually about 2 - 3 hours. Some people have actually worked half a day before or after the infusion. During the actual infusion I would suggest taking someone with you the first several times until you know how you will react. Some people actually rest during the process or take naps. Hope this helps. I hope you do well on it if you decide tysabri is for you.

Comment

Notes on infusion

Hi Camille,

I've been on Tysabri for almost four years, used to work in the morning, grab lunch and head for my neuro's office around 2PM. The actual infusion takes an hour, then you need to hang around for another hour. I'm an easy stick, never had any side effects, and have found T very beneficial - no changes in MRI these past four years, small changes to my ability to walk.

If you have small veins, drink a lot of water before going in for an infusion. I was present when a few young women, some a bit overweight, were there for their first infusion and some of them were very hard to infuse - at least one was referred to the local hospital where the staff had access to areas other than hands and arms.

I've been offered G, decided I'll stick with something that has worked for me until there is a lot more data. I believe I'm primary or secondary progressive and have anti-bodies to the PML virus and am willing to take the risk.

Originally posted by mscamillec View Post
      I am considering tysabri. i had my blood drawn for the Jc virus on Tuesday. I was wondering how long does the infusion process last each month? I will be doing lots of reading about this medication. I was also offered gilenya. however if i go this route i have to see a dermatologist, opthamologist as well as a cardiologist because of my BP issues which has gotten better since i discontinued the betaseron. I failed rebif (allergies) copaxone caused issues and avonex caused a problem these two are my only choice at this time. will see what i decide because its a serious decision
      thank you,
      camille

Comment

2 hrs for me as well. 1 for the infusion and 1 where I just hang around.

I take my e-reader and read or play a game, sometimes I take a nap and the infusion site has a dvd player if I want to watch a movie. Mostly, I read. Since my site is out of town my DH takes me and we usually do a little bit of shopping afterwards to make the trip a bit more worthwhile.

We go in the morning then as a treat we go to lunch. That's helped me get through the process as I'm very phobic of needles. Being well hydrated is for sure a good idea. It truly does make the IV more comfortable goign in.

I usually take a blanket too as for whatever reason I tend to get cold.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE ADVICE I START MY 1ST INFUSION THE 8TH! I LOVE WATER SO BEING WELL HYDRATED WELL WORK FOR ME! THANKS SO MUCH MSERS!
          I GOT TO KEEP IT MOVIN-
          ;DM.S. + MY STORY = I WILL SURVIVE THIS STORM TOO! AUDREY R

Comment

Good luck to you, Hipster (cute name). I hope tysabri works as well for you as it has for me.
            What if trials of this life
            Are Your mercies in disguise?
            "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Working...
            X