Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started tecfidera today-mistakenly took higher dose

Hello all,
    Today I started my first dose of tecfidera. I was prepared- took low dose aspirin, made a good breakfast, and took my first dose- only it was the 240mg not the 120mg. Shame on me for not paying attention to which bottle I should begin with. I panicked. I called my doctor but since it's the weekend he hasn't returned my call yet. I'm wondering if any of you have experienced doing this. I'm so worried, any words of wisdom would surely help me!

Dosing Error

Hi Deb,
    I have been taking Tecfidera for about 3 years now. I must say that it beats injections. While it is unfortunate that you took the wrong initial dose I really don't think there is anything of medical significance to worry about. You might experience some pretty strong side effects though. Watch for gastrointestinal issues and the flushing. Those would be be the big ones. This should pass relatively quickly and you can get back on track. Of course, it is the right thing to notify the prescribing doctor.

I still think I win the prize for medication mistakes. One morning I was sitting at the kitchen table with my pill box and my dog's pills. She takes an anti seizure medication. I accidentally took one of her pills. I realized it immediately. I called the vet. As soon as she stopped laughing she said the worst that would happen was that I might be tired. My husband said to call him at work if I started barking. NOT helpful.

Good luck with Tecfidera.

Comment

Hello,
      I can't thank you enough for responding about my little "accident"! I googled it thinking surely someone else has done this before but nothing came up. I tried to go about my day drinking lots and lots of water and was pleasantly surprised that nothing happened! The next day I went about taking the right dosage and have continued since. I've been on Tecfidera for 4 days now and haven't experienced many symptoms other than itchy face/ears and burping. Your reply was very much needed at a scary time for me and made me laugh! Hope this post helps anyone that may go through the same thing as I did. Thanks again!

Comment

I know I've messed up taking my Tecfidera before. I have taken it, forgot that I took it and then several minutes later took it again. Nothing happened though thank goodness. lol. I can assure you I was just as frantic as you. It happens. Glad you are ok though!!

“Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows.”
        ― Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
        X