Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Getting Ready to Start Tecfidera...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Getting Ready to Start Tecfidera...

Hi everyone I am in the process of getting ready to start Tecfidera in the next week. I'm currently on Rebif but have had so many problems with site reactions I just have no more areas to do shots. I have had MS for almost 20 years and have been on every shot there it is. I have been on Rebif for the last eight years.

So now I was just hoping that if anybody has any advice I would love to hear it. I know they suggest you take an aspirin about 30 minutes before taking your pill. Would this be a non-coated aspirin and what kind of strength should I take? I am also planning on taking my pill with food that seems to help. I am worried about the flushing and everybody saying they have itching or burning that does freak me out a little .

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

my story

I have been on Tecfidera for a little over 2 years.

I take a adult aspirin with mine. I do not take coated. I have no issues. If you take coated it can take up to two hours to take that coating off. And, unless a healthcare professional (your neuro or a person that works for Tecfidera) tells you otherwise. But, I also have no gastro intestinal issues, either.

I have not had much flushing, other have. Especially, when you first start taking it. Or, especially when you increase your dose, I believe one or two weeks after you start it, it is most likely.

To decrease some of the GI issues, not only eating, but, make sure that you eat a fat and protein in your diet. That is what most of the recommendations have been. It can be what ever fat and protein that you choose. Avacodos have fat in them. Or, you can use the fat of your choice. I recommend a healthier one.

I still feel a warm feeling with the evening dose (when I don't take an asprin, but, do take an anti inflammatory) especially if it is really hot out. But, it is not all the time. This will only last for about a half hour.

I had a friend that face turned sun burn red face when she took one particular dose, but, it did not hurt or last longer then a half hour. I did not ever ask her if she took an aspirin. And, I know it was early in her dosing.
    God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Any suggestions regarding foods. I am not looking to gain weight and usually eat a low fat diet. I have read peanut butter, applesauce, 2 percent Greek yogurt and eggs and toast. Looking for ideas that won't pack the pounds on. Thanks

Comment

I take my morning dose with a hard boiled egg and a protein smoothie. Usually pair that with peanut butter toast or a chia seed/almond milk mix. Never had much nausea with the evening dose...just take it with a healthy supper. Tecfidera has really helped me....good luck!

Comment

Thanks, can you tell me what you put into your protein smoothie?

Comment

Hi mechie, I have been on tec. for 3 yrs and have done well. I started getting some flushing and itching after 2 yrs but not every time. I take Benadryl for the itching. I just turn red with flushing.

Hope you do well.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Thanks Reg, do you take aspirin before your pill or eat any certain foods before you take it to help with stomach issues? Thanks

Comment

I do not take aspirin or eat any certain foods. I never had any stomach issues except a mild stomach ache at first for which I am thankful for.
                God Bless Us All

Comment

I took Tecfidera for 3 years. The first day reactions were bright sunburn red and painful itches. It lasted an hour and was embarrassing and painful....that was before they knew aspirin would help. I didn't learn about aspirin helping until like 2 years later. I never had that major first day reaction that bad again. I didn't change my diet for it but did notice if I took it on an empty stomach my wrists no stomach would itch and burn 4 hrs later and it would last 1 hr. So I tried to take it with breakfast and with a snack before bed. I had to go off and on Tecfidera a few times for some surgeries so when I restarted I learned about aspirin and it really helped. I took a chewable baby aspirin aka low dose at the same time I took my Tecfidera pill. I never had gi issues until I stopped Tecfidera...it took a month after stopping tech for my GI to settle (I have Crohn's too).
                  Carrie

Comment

Working...
                  X