On Tec 2+ years. Flushing is ruining my skin :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Tec 2+ years. Flushing is ruining my skin :(

I feel bad complaining about this considering Tec is working well for me (eh, awaiting results from recent brain/spine MRI...but has been going fairly well.) but I still have significant flushing every time I take my medication. It starts about 20 minutes after each dose and lasts about an hour.

My face, ears, chest, and backs of my arms flush red. This has happened so often that I now have enlarged capillaries in all these places except my ears and around my eyes and forehead. I had beautiful skin prior to using this medication. Now it is ruined, I look like a splotchy alcoholic.

I am visiting a dermatologist tomorrow morning-- to see if I am a candidate for Laser therapy to shrink the capillaries. Of course this isn't inexpensive...I'm angry I'll have to pay out-of-pocket to (hopefully) fix the results of a known side-effect. I already physically feel like crap most days, so can't I have a few shreds of vanity?
    RRMS 2011, Copaxone 2011-2013, Tecfidera 2013-current

Promising news

It appears that the Tec has exacerbated an underlying rosacea condition. I've started two topical treatments to ameliorate the flushing and lessen inflammation. I also had a short session of IPL on some of the broken capillaries. Some of the treated capillaries bruised, but they should heal and go away I am cautiously optimistic? The IPL session was $80, far less than the $400-$500 quoted by another office.

Comment

KateA2, I am sorry this has happened to you. I'm glad the derm. knows how to help you and I hope you have beautiful skin again.
      God Bless Us All

Comment

Thank you Reg - bless you too.

Comment

Tec vanity 2.0

I had my 2nd round of IPL on my Tec-enlarged capillaries today ($120.) Skin on cheeks, nose, and patch of chest just below collarbones is a tiny bit swollen, but really noticeable only to me. Overall I'd say my splotchy, blotchy, veiny, flushed skin is 70% better? What's still apparent I can mostly hide with tinted sunscreen!

Two weeks after the 1st treatment, colleagues began to comment I looked well-rested or glowy..in truth Ive been feeling rotten, but it makes me feel a bit better. I still get the burning-flushing feeling, but not turning nearly as tomato-splotchy red. I dislike the sun burning feeling I get with Tec, as I have allodynia, but I can deal as it's helping.

Comment

That's good news. I hope it continues to get better.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Working...
            X