Frustrating Side Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrating Side Effects

I see a number of threads here about Tecfidera and stomach issues! My neurologist was very quick to put my on Tecfidera after being on Copaxone for six months and suffering severe site reactions on that drug. So, in Nov of last year I began Tecfidera. About 10 days in on the lower dose I began to have severe gastro issues. non stop explosive diarrhea, nausea, cramping,and loss of appetite. Anything that went in my mouth exited almost immediately. I finally stopped taking it because I was basically unable to leave the house. My 'MS team' insisted I must have the stomach flu. Last week I gave it another shot...same results except the side effects began after the very first dose. I was told this was a 'very unusual' side effect...like I was making it up. After 6 days this go around I have stopped taking it again. I just can't live like this. I've been made to feel like I'm wimping out by quitting....but really, I just can't 'stomach' it, if you'll pardon the pun.

I'm beginning to wonder if I can tolerate any DMT. At least I can see from the boards here I'm not alone with the stomach issues on Tecfidera, but has anyone else experienced these side effect early on? Kind of at my wits end with the lack of support from my medical professionals. I feel like they just aren't listening or believing me. I feel as though I need to be doing something, as my last MRI shows new lesions, but I'm afraid Tecfidera might just kill me!

I quit taking DMT 's because of the side effects. I took Rebif for 1 1/2 yrs and then Copaxane for the same amount of time. Although I didn't suffer the same stomach/bathroom issues as you have with Tec... I just couldn't tolerate living with the side effects I was having. And I was getting more and more depressed.

couple yrs ago, dr neuro was pushing me towards DMT again, I said NO. Absolutely not.
    Karen

Comment

Tefidera

I am going back on Tecfidera. Well I am at least going to try it.
      I thought I was dying on Aubagio. 6-7 weeks in I was over 20 lbs lighter and could not keep anything from running through me.
      My neuro didn't that was from the meds but never told me what he did think it was from.
      Hmmmm. Wish me luck on Tecfidera again. Want to see if it is any better than the Aubagio.

Comment

Tecfidera

Hi
        I never had any GI issues at the beginning even though they are listed as expected side effects. However I am now at 7 months and starting to have stomach issues. No real diarrhea but frequent softer than normal stools. Neuro doesn't think this is from the tecfidera but I do. Not bad enough to stop treatment yet. Just a nuisance.
        I don't think this drug has been out long enough to really know what side effects some patients may experience along the way.Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
        X